Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688655 times)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1695 on: September 18, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »
Spent 30 mins in the auto paint store, trying to match an older color. No luck. I sure dont want to pay $45 for the matching process when I just need some fine brush touch up for a very small job. Nothing in the craft store selection either. Went back to the paint store today to further check the books again...nada. I may try some blending.

Suggest you give NAPA a shot...
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1696 on: September 18, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
Gosh I hate snakes! I know there's alot of "good" ones but I can't stand the scaley little things.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1697 on: September 18, 2020, 08:05:57 PM »
Gosh I hate snakes! I know there's alot of "good" ones but I can't stand the scaley little things.
I don't mind 'em and even had a pet snake for a while as a kid, but it's perfectly reasonable not to like them.
For me it's Black widow spiders, I will seek out and kill every single one I can.
I can't stand the bastards.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1698 on: September 18, 2020, 08:09:40 PM »
I got a little 1967 Mitchell 308 in today and went to work on it.
Just a thorough cleaning and some super lube, someone had previously re greased it but they used something with a very obnoxious gag inducing smell that I could not stand.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1699 on: September 18, 2020, 08:21:44 PM »
Yep, a gopher snake. We have them around here in varying colors and sizes. They can get good sized if a hawk doesn't make them a meal.
Texted the picture to my grandmother who was freaking out " oh my , that's a baby rattlesnake ".
 :))
Apparently it's common for people to mistake these for rattlesnakes at a glance.

The first clue it is not a rattler is the small head which has to be larger and triangular. However a gopher or bull snake may try to imitate a rattler by moving it's tail rapidly in debris to make noise especially dried leaves.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1700 on: September 18, 2020, 09:12:38 PM »
I'm gonna side with Bman here. Dont like snakes. Around the house its rat snakes, but they get my chicken eggs so they gotta go.
 in the river bottom its copperheads. lots of copperheads. I put out copperhead traps, big sheet of plywood on the ground. let it set for a week or so then load up the 12gauge and go flip the board over. sometimes get a dozen snakes under one board. I bet I get 30-40 copperheads a year.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #1701 on: September 18, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
Spent 30 mins in the auto paint store, trying to match an older color. No luck. I sure dont want to pay $45 for the matching process when I just need some fine brush touch up for a very small job. Nothing in the craft store selection either. Went back to the paint store today to further check the books again...nada. I may try some blending.

Suggest you give NAPA a shot...

Nailed it. Sally Beauty Supply. $5 lacquer nail polish. Done, and done.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1702 on: September 19, 2020, 06:32:19 PM »
I polished up my old Fenwick lunkerstik with some scratch doctor.

I also removed the old handle and damaged reel seat in preparation for the old school slip ring Tennessee handle I'm going to put on it once the cork and rings arrive.

I just couldn't get a good picture for some reason though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1703 on: September 19, 2020, 10:38:02 PM »
I finally broke the cutting head of my faithful weed whip and didn't buy a spare when it was a current model.  It still works great otherwise so a fix was in order and now no spare parts are made, the new models are different.

So I bought one.  Those BandD corded electric cutters are solid tools and with care last a good run.

But now we can't have broken stuff, so a couple hose clamps on the spool holding steel wire as cutting cord were installed.  It runs balanced but if it was dangerous before its deadly now.  It will tear stuff up now.

My son of 10 requested a hammer for his tools so while at HD I got him one.  Just a decent brand claw hammer for household stuff.
It came with the required lecture of responsibility. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:44:08 PM by strik9 »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1704 on: September 20, 2020, 09:49:10 AM »
That wire looks wicked.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1705 on: September 20, 2020, 10:08:54 AM »
getting ready for Tropical storm Beta to show up. Mostly going to see some rain from it but the news has everyone running around like their heads on fire.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1706 on: September 20, 2020, 01:03:48 PM »
That wire looks wicked.

It shreds banana and wet grass like wet TP.  Cuts even small woody stems off much faster than nylon.

The new one feels lighter, is longer shafted for comfort and clearly more powerful than the old one. 

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #1707 on: September 20, 2020, 01:05:39 PM »
I`ve always wondered about using base guitar string on a weed eater.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1708 on: September 20, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »
getting ready for Tropical storm Beta to show up. Mostly going to see some rain from it but the news has everyone running around like their heads on fire.

Stay safe Curtis. Our friends in Pensacola got hammered by the last hurricane.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1709 on: September 20, 2020, 05:27:35 PM »
Didn't do much today went across the street (literally) to an auction. Nothing I wanted there so Sam and I walked to the playground and played.

Yesterday we cleaned up around the house and had some family and friends over to celebrate sam's birthday (was the 16th).

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk