Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688672 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1755 on: October 18, 2020, 08:34:55 PM »
Pulled the water pump off the big tractor. then started putting it back on. :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting:. I've been chasing an overheat problem for a week now. I just got the injection pump rebuilt and have been working out the fuel leaks etc. But I've noticed the machine would get hot. 220f+ just idling around, not even working hard. Swapped out the Tstat Friday and still had heat issues. The heat indicator shows hot, the block is hot but the lower radiator hose is cold. Figured the water pump impeller rusted out. Nope. The Tstat has a little air vent hole so I dont think its getting airbound.

May just pull the Tstat and see what it does. I did test the old Tstat that came out and it did open, didn't check the opening temp, just that it opened.

Offline john k

« Reply #1756 on: October 18, 2020, 09:09:58 PM »
Dug footings for a new 20ft X 20ft all steel carport.  Went down 3 ft or so, for frost as well as wind load.  Have seen straight winds 65 mph here, and occassionally some down bursts 75 or more.  One lifted part of my 20 x 40 tin shop off its foundation, so dont want this to float out into the pasture. 

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1757 on: October 18, 2020, 11:05:17 PM »
Green house done  :bravo_2:

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1758 on: October 19, 2020, 06:35:48 PM »
A couple weeks back I bought this parts organizer for $25 at the local hardware .

I got it home and realized I had nowhere good to put it, well that was just the kick in the pants I needed to rearrange and clean my little garage workshop.

I moved my main large workbench to the other side of the garage

And the  little one took it's place , I just need to put everything away that's on it.

I decided to leave the pegboard where it was, because it wasn't so easy to reach back across the big workbench to grab tools.

Having my main toolbox front and center in the garage is nice as well.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #1759 on: October 19, 2020, 10:29:18 PM »

It’s Spring here in NZ , high part of the Season for the cows producing milk , so we got our milk job going on with the truck 24/7 , we just go wherever they need us in NZ when the company has a problem, currently the local factory that produces milk powder gas a boiler down  so milk is going to any other plant that has surplus capacity to process it . Our current run has us going 4 1/2 hours south with the milk , there is a bunch of trucks running, we are one of many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1760 on: October 20, 2020, 09:25:50 AM »
Snow!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #1761 on: October 20, 2020, 03:05:20 PM »
Well, at least you will know where you are in the field if your automatic steering goes out.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1762 on: October 20, 2020, 08:36:25 PM »
Pulled the water pump off the big tractor. then started putting it back on. _hitting: _hitting:. I've been chasing an overheat problem for a week now. I just got the injection pump rebuilt and have been working out the fuel leaks etc. But I've noticed the machine would get hot. 220f+ just idling around, not even working hard. Swapped out the Tstat Friday and still had heat issues. The heat indicator shows hot, the block is hot but the lower radiator hose is cold. Figured the water pump impeller rusted out. Nope. The Tstat has a little air vent hole so I dont think its getting airbound.

May just pull the Tstat and see what it does. I did test the old Tstat that came out and it did open, didn't check the opening temp, just that it opened.
Is it flowing through the radiator?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1763 on: October 20, 2020, 08:50:43 PM »
Pulled the water pump off the big tractor. then started putting it back on. _hitting: _hitting:. I've been chasing an overheat problem for a week now. I just got the injection pump rebuilt and have been working out the fuel leaks etc. But I've noticed the machine would get hot. 220f+ just idling around, not even working hard. Swapped out the Tstat Friday and still had heat issues. The heat indicator shows hot, the block is hot but the lower radiator hose is cold. Figured the water pump impeller rusted out. Nope. The Tstat has a little air vent hole so I dont think its getting airbound.

Water does but coolant didn't. I filled the radiator up with my hand on the bottom outlet. filled radiator to the top and it dumped out when pulled my hand away. I dont think the radiator has any obstructions in it.
Pulled the new Tstat and tested it. it opens well before the water boils so i think its ok. Tested the original and it appeared to work ok as well. Upper and lower hoses looked good, no obstructions there Went by the Agco shop and picked up a water pump. they said to check mine for loose impeller but its tight. My buddy at the parts counter told me to take the water pump and if I used it to come pay for it or take it back. I think I'm going to put the new pump on. I cant think of anything else keeping it from flowing coolant.  :banghead:

Offline muddy

« Reply #1764 on: October 20, 2020, 08:57:53 PM »

Water does but coolant didn't. I filled the radiator up with my hand on the bottom outlet. filled radiator to the top and it dumped out when pulled my hand away. I dont think the radiator has any obstructions in it.
Pulled the new Tstat and tested it. it opens well before the water boils so i think its ok. Tested the original and it appeared to work ok as well. Upper and lower hoses looked good, no obstructions there Went by the Agco shop and picked up a water pump. they said to check mine for loose impeller but its tight. My buddy at the parts counter told me to take the water pump and if I used it to come pay for it or take it back. I think I'm going to put the new pump on. I cant think of anything else keeping it from flowing coolant.  :banghead:
When the engine is cold take the radiator cap off.  Start the engine and let it get up to temp. Watch the fluid in the radiator. You should be able to see the fluid flowing pretty quickly when the thermostat opens. If not I'd try the pump.

If you can see the fluid flowing. I'd double check the actual temp with a thermometer to make sure your sending unit or gauge isn't faulty.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1765 on: October 20, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »
I'm not getting any flow thru the radiator. I was watching for bubbles originally but never saw any flow either. Lower hose was cold and radiator never warmed up. I think the heat indicator is pretty close. it was reading 220 and the engine felt hot.

I cant see anything wrong with the pump but my thought is thats what everything points too. I dont think I want to button it back up with a used pump, but im gonna be POed if it still gets hot. :lol_hitting:

Offline muddy

« Reply #1766 on: October 22, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
I'm not getting any flow thru the radiator. I was watching for bubbles originally but never saw any flow either. Lower hose was cold and radiator never warmed up. I think the heat indicator is pretty close. it was reading 220 and the engine felt hot.

I cant see anything wrong with the pump but my thought is thats what everything points too. I dont think I want to button it back up with a used pump, but im gonna be POed if it still gets hot. _hitting:
How old is the machine? what did the coolant you drained out look like. If it wasn't nasty looking, I'd probably lean towards the pump as well

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1767 on: October 22, 2020, 08:10:03 PM »
Snow!
Spring has definitely spring here.

Lake Rotoiti at Rotorua, above my safety job this morning.

I saw one of the swallows that nest in the basement of our office building, for the first time this year, as I went out to get some lunch. It is about 70f here today and the waterfront is 100 yards from my office.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:20:29 PM by Rural53 »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1768 on: October 22, 2020, 08:16:41 PM »
Muddy, the tractors older than I am but I went thru it about 4 years ago. Radiator was cleaned at that time. coolant still looked new, but was changed out with the first Tstat change. I need this machine running. I've got a couple of 20ft conexs coming and need to use the AC to move them into place.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1769 on: October 22, 2020, 09:07:41 PM »
Muddy, the tractors older than I am but I went thru it about 4 years ago. Radiator was cleaned at that time. coolant still looked new, but was changed out with the first Tstat change. I need this machine running. I've got a couple of 20ft conexs coming and need to use the AC to move them into place.
Sounds like the pump should do it. Good luck