Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688669 times)

Offline Rural53

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1770 on: October 23, 2020, 05:59:42 PM »
Long weekend (Labour Weekend) here. Bay Kustom Cruisers, a local custom van club, have their 20 year reunion on this weekend.

The National Street Rod Association also have an event on over the weekend. Their Show and Shine is tomorrow.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1771 on: October 24, 2020, 09:07:12 AM »
Thought some may get a kick out of this. Removing a system board of an old server. 1980 HP tower.

Had to bring in the big tools, should have charged the company a rental fee.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1772 on: October 24, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »
Thought some may get a kick out of this. Removing a system board of an old server. 1980 HP tower.

That'll teach 'em to mess with a car guy who has tools. --- LOL

Offline muddy

« Reply #1773 on: October 24, 2020, 12:56:20 PM »

That big a puller to work on a computer?!!!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #1774 on: October 24, 2020, 07:58:32 PM »
Bugger all.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1775 on: October 24, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
Seldom see a slide hammer used on a computer :bravo_2:

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1776 on: October 25, 2020, 07:25:49 AM »
Sent to my data center, on a pallet. Just placed on the pallet, not one secured to the pallet . The level of stupid in IT is off the charts.
Chassis was bent, could not get at the CPUs. No surprise chassises made of scrap beer cans to begin with.
An easy at ta boy from the tinfoil hats. Stepped in a phone booth came out with a big red S on my chest.
Leaping over racks with a single bound, slide hammer firmly tuck in wast ban. went to work :lol_hitting:
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1777 on: October 27, 2020, 06:47:07 AM »
A bit like pep and his slide hammer on the cpu, hit it with a bigger hammer!

So my RZR has always been not the smoothest starting machine. We thought it had dropped a commutator bar in the starter but due to the contortionist act needed to change a starter in a RZR we had been ignoring it. It has been getting harder and harder to start so we finally bit the bullet and decided to fix it. We got the one of the Polaris dealer mechanics in our club to have a listen and he diagnosed it as the starter sprag clutch. Another club member, who wrecks atvs and UTVs supplied a secondhand sprag and starter gear. Unfortunately they were not much better than what was in it. The new replacement parts arrived today and as I'm flat out at work and Jason is only working part time at the moment, he put them in for me.

Old sprag (with flat spots) and starter gear.

He rang me at 3pm to say it was in but it was still kicking back when he tried to start it and he thought it had jumped a, or several, teeth on the cam chain and the timing was out. He needed me to look up the service manual for my (non-turbo) RXR because he only had the turbo RXR one. To find TDC you pull the crack angle sensor out and look down the hole until certain marks appear. Typically, the marks are different between the turbo and non-turbo version. I gave him the marks and he confirmed the cams were out by two teeth. At this stage I decided that I really should go and have a look, so after the webinar on tactile pavers for blind and vision impaired pedestrians that I was listening to when he rang finished I knocked off work and headed up to the workshop.

I got there to find that it was all back together and it only needs a new cam chain tensioner that should be here on Friday. That is well designed and is replaceable by undoing two bolts pulling the old one out, putting the new one in and doing the bolts back up. Because we are going on a trail ride on Sunday with 60km laps I had left him a new belt to put on.

After telling me the starter and cam timing is now fine, he announces the primary clutch has a big crack in it!

The RZR has CVT transmission and runs a rubber belt. The primary clutch looks like this.

Once you take the top plate off you have to unscrew the three leg spider that is loctite on using a tool that looks like this.

Except Jason's one is home made out of scrap steel and has a handle sticking out the side you can put a 5' cheater bar on. After fighting with it for ten minutes we realised, because of the big crack, the steel centre shaft was turning in the sheeve and not coming undone.

This is the cool tool that clamps in the vice and the cooling fins on the bottom of the sheeve engage in to hold it while you haul on it to break the loctite.

At this point many swear words were said and head scratching went on until I suggested that as it was already cracked and not reusable just hit it and break the aluminium sheeve off so we could hold it in the vice. It took surprisingly little effort to break the sheeve off. Even with the centre shaft belt directly in the vice it still turned under the efforts of the 5' cheater so we resorted to welding it to a piece of box section.

This did the trick and with an almost cartoon like pop and stumble as it let go we got it undone.
It took about five minutes to reassemble it using parts from my spare clutch and another five minutes to put it back in the RZR. I've never seen one crack like that before.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:49:45 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1778 on: October 29, 2020, 05:26:40 AM »
Took this afternoon off to work on my ute. Replaced the clock spring behind the steering wheel. Cruise control intermittently stopped working and then completely stopped. This is classic symptoms of the clock spring failing. Nissan wanted stupid amounts of dollars for a new one. I found a company selling aftermarket ones with good feedback and ordered one for a third of the price. Youtube provided a very good run down on how to replace it.

The hardest part was getting the airbag unit off. I ended up watching several more videos until I got the trick to release the unit from the steering wheel.

Fasteners are a mix of phillips and torx just so you can play with more tools.

Clock spring removed.

Controls just unclip and clip onto the new clock spring. It all goes back together in the reverse order. Whole thing took just over an hour. Now I know the trick to getting the airbag off I could probably do one in 45 minutes.

Second job was replace the rear shocks as one was weeping. Replaced them with Ironman 4x4 heavy duty foam shocks.

It is a bit snug under there, especially for someone as cuddly as me.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 05:43:28 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1779 on: October 29, 2020, 07:43:08 AM »
Steering column work scares me to death!   :91:
Most of my experiences have NOT  been positive.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1780 on: October 30, 2020, 04:14:43 AM »
Meeting at Maketu this morning just down the coast from Tauranga. I haven't been here for at least then years.

Looking out the river mouth.

Home of the world famous, in New Zealand, Maketu Pies.

Since Muzzy went bust we can't get spares for our exhausts. The new owners are only interested in selling new systems, so as I'm down to my last tip I got my local engineering shop to make me some mild steel replacements.

I'll paint these black with header paint before I fit them.

After work we did the last job on my RZR, fitting the new cam chain tensioner.

Jason was building a cage for a present for a wedding tomorrow

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:51:07 AM by Rural53 »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1781 on: October 30, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »

Jason was building a cage for a present for a wedding tomorrow

Must be a small groom.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1782 on: October 30, 2020, 07:41:03 PM »
update on the AC tractor overtemp issue. The water pump was swapped out last week and it seemed to cure the problem. I got a chance to work it some today. loaded 10 round bales and the heat indicator never even got to 180.

I could not see anything wrong with the old pump but i also couldn't see putting an old pump back on when I had a new one setting there. The orange monster is back to earning its keep. :dance:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1783 on: October 30, 2020, 09:20:41 PM »
Rebuilt my 1967 Benjamin Franklin model 312 today.

Shoots like a champ now and hits with authority.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1784 on: October 31, 2020, 03:26:41 AM »
Friend of mine came over from Rotorua to put new wheels and tyres on the C10 she has just bought.

Before

After

It is about the only thing she can drive at the moment due to falling off her roller skates a couple of weeks ago (roller derby) and breaking her ankle in three places.

Spent the rest of the day finishing up the small jobs on the RZR for the trail ride tomorrow.

New exhaust tips painted and installed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 03:30:23 AM by Rural53 »