Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688671 times)

Offline john k

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1935 on: January 13, 2021, 10:55:18 PM »
Papaw, that sounds darn good!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1936 on: January 14, 2021, 09:51:19 PM »
Work made me go and take photos in the atrocious weather we are having. It's a hard life.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1937 on: January 14, 2021, 10:56:53 PM »
LOL yeah that looks pretty bad ......
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline john k

« Reply #1938 on: January 15, 2021, 07:10:43 PM »
Today I kept the recliner company,  temps got up to 31, just listened to the wind howl, got up to 55mph am told.  Listened to the news to see how many semis flipped over.  Also 5-6 inches of white, eastern Nebraska.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1939 on: January 15, 2021, 07:22:34 PM »
Work made me go and take photos in the atrocious weather we are having. It's a hard life.

Geez, some guys have it rough!

Now all you need is for a mermaid to pop out of that lake.  :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1940 on: January 15, 2021, 07:26:17 PM »

You're killing me Rural!!! It's cold and rainy here in DC, and I'm huddled close to my woodstove. Would love to have that weather and that view --

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1941 on: January 16, 2021, 03:24:30 AM »
I was looking at John k's post saying it was 31, going 'just like here today" until I realised he meant deg f! It nearly got to 31C (mid 80s) here today. It's after 10pm and I've just got home from a quiet get together for a friends birthday. We sat outside on the deck in shorts and tee shirts, eat steak, ham and salad; and shot the breeze with some good friends until it got dark. It is still about 20C (68f).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:26:23 AM by Rural53 »

Offline walrus

« Reply #1942 on: January 16, 2021, 03:53:32 PM »
Painting some after market fenders and inner fenders for my 95 GMC 3500hd bucket truck. I bought 2K epoxy rattle cans, expensive at 26 bucks ea, I shall see if its worth it. Roughed up the black coating thats applied in Taiwan  :D  one can per fender. Gong to do inner fenders with Chassis saver after I rough them up. They will get done with brush. Don't really care how the final finish comes out as long as its protected from rust. I did the doors a few years back and that painted failed, peeled off, its was SEM rust shield. Going to fix that also at some point.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #1943 on: January 20, 2021, 09:16:38 PM »
Sometimes you have that job that fights you all the way ........ , finally getting a job done on one of the trucks that we identified needed doing during the last season hauling apples , truck hasn’t been busy , because we run the other one on milk . Centre hanger bearing on the drive shaft, to start with  the UJ yoke looked like it was frozen onto the shaft , finally got it moving , combination of hydraulic puller , heat from the torch , and BFH . Even had some Jafe Juice  doing it’s stuff......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1944 on: January 20, 2021, 10:05:11 PM »
There is hardly any good way to position yourself to get max leverage doing that job but you got it. :great:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1945 on: January 20, 2021, 10:51:06 PM »
You always know it is going to be an interesting job when you have to bring a fire extinguisher  :41:

Offline john k

« Reply #1946 on: January 21, 2021, 10:36:01 PM »
Was in the city today, junk shopping.  At a Habitat Restore which we sometimes have luck, saw a workbench.  Heavy, steel framed, weightier than it looked, and had an attached vise.   Medium sized, painted original red, good jaws, and the end of the screw was bullet shape rather than squared off.   Name plate was riveted on, not a sticker,  DUNLAP, ah, Sears.  Held down with 3 bolts,  and it swiveled, no damage to be seen.  $35 for the entire bench.  Figured to ask the manager if I could take off the vise for $20.  Turn out the manager was coming my way with a 2 wheel dolly.  Followed by the fellow that just bought it.  Intended to offer him 20,  but thought the vise would be handy, darn, lost it by 4 minutes. That was a good looking vise,  got several spares, but that was a nice one. 

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #1947 on: January 24, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »
Found my missing 3rd-of 3 rat traps left out for the roof rats (a new problem). It was nowhere to be found where it was set, and after cursing that I may have placed it elsewhere (and forgotten), my hunch was that a hawk got it.

Sure enough....4 days later I find the trap 200' from where it was set, laying on the ground beneath a high limb, with only the tail remaining as evidence.

So the rat was struggling to get away (my guess) and a hawk flew off with it (rat and trap), and had a tasty captive, squirmy, squealing meal.

Win-Win for hawk and rat trap owner. Curtains for the rat.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1948 on: January 24, 2021, 01:32:55 PM »
Felt that one.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #1949 on: January 24, 2021, 01:42:42 PM »
Felt that one.

We won’t loose the “shakey isles” nickname anytime soon !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk