Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688665 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1950 on: January 24, 2021, 03:54:35 PM »
Glad we dont get those around here too often.

I spent yesterday cleaning up a pasture and burning brush. spent today recuperating. I've not been this sore in a while.

Offline john k

« Reply #1951 on: January 25, 2021, 09:51:13 AM »
Only time the ground shakes here is in a severe thunder storm and the windows rattle, pretty sure I wouldnt like ground moving under me.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1952 on: January 25, 2021, 10:42:10 AM »
Only time the ground shakes here is in a severe thunder storm and the windows rattle, pretty sure I wouldnt like ground moving under me.

The effects of the quake can vary due to geology, depth and distance from you of the quake. Some may be a shaking sensation while some may be so gentle you wonder if there is a quake going on. Some can be a very sudden jolt with violent shaking in one we stood outside and it looked like we were on the ocean as we could see the shockwaves rolling through the ground towards us.

I have watched waves splashing a large quantity of water out of a swimming pool and things falling from walls and cupboards. One time I watched my Ranger bouncing on it's suspension like crazy.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #1953 on: January 25, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »
Yesterday I got the first dose of Covid vaccine, second to come in three weeks. No side effects so far.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1954 on: January 25, 2021, 01:33:36 PM »
Yesterday I got the first dose of Covid vaccine, second to come in three weeks. No side effects so far.

Best of luck with that vaccine Noel. Finger's crossed --

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1955 on: January 26, 2021, 04:56:11 AM »
Went to work, tried to finish five days work in two days because of someone's poor planning has become my emergency. After work went to the monthly meeting of the management committee that runs the motorsport area our race track is in. Saw Finn for the first time since before Christmas.

He has got even bigger. He is now five months old and still hasn't grown into his paws.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1956 on: January 26, 2021, 09:08:34 AM »
Been through 2 minor quakes here.  One I was startled by my screen door rattling thought someone was coming in,  No one there.  Learned the next day we had a quake.  Second, I was taking a nap in my work truck at a Park and Ride lot.  Woke up to the truck bouncing.  Thought someone was bouncing on my bumper.  No one there.  Neither caused much if any damage.  we are not in an earthquake zone so they were surprising to me but I guess they can happen anywhere.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1957 on: January 26, 2021, 07:35:57 PM »
around 20ish years ago I was working nights. @0300 I was out sampling our clarification basin when I noticed some odd looking waves. A truly WTF moment when a million gallon basin starts making waves. I thought it was falling apart, then I noticed the night sky light up off in the distance. Union carbide plants ethylene oxide unit blew up. felt it 20 miles away. luckily no fatalities.
The unofficial cause was the board operator in charge of the unit was an affirmative action hire and didn't understand the field operator telling him to release pressure instead he closed it in.

Closest I've ever been to an earthquake.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1958 on: January 26, 2021, 08:56:26 PM »
One of those days....

An hour job turned into 3 hrs....

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1959 on: January 27, 2021, 12:59:48 AM »
Well my last two days work turned into a ten minutes presentation at a Safety in Design review today.

View from the Strand as I walked back to my ute at 7:45 tonight. The wharf in the second photo has a platform specifically for people to jump off into the harbour. It is about 100 metres from our office and there is a whole office appointment for "bombs" every Friday afternoon at 2pm right through summer. I think the most participants they've got is twenty or so.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1960 on: January 27, 2021, 08:58:27 AM »
Do they only jump off at high tide so they don't get stuck in the mud?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1961 on: January 27, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »
Got to shovel a bunch of snow this morning. The wind made 6" drifts in front of the garage and 8" drifts at the gate that I had to clear. Fun meter is pegged and you people to the east be ready for this as it is just the first wave coming in.

Offline john k

« Reply #1962 on: January 27, 2021, 03:17:45 PM »
Clearing Mondays snow in Nebraska.   Foot in the driveway, a little more around the house.   Am warming up the Farmall, need to clear the driveway as more is coming on the weekend.  Just read where this is the biggest snow to hit Omaha since Jan. 1975..  only then we had winds making monumental drifts.  Omaha was shut down for 5 days, this storm dropped 14 inches south of there.  Never want to see a storm like in 1975 in my life,  buried my IHC pickup 2 miles from the farm, was 10 days til I got it out.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1963 on: January 28, 2021, 08:05:19 PM »
Got a good dump of snow overnight so well over a foot total on the ground. This snow is our famous Sierra Cement with a high water content which makes shoveling it more of a chore. It took me 30 minutes to clear the gates up at the road so the wife could go to work. Her Subaru Tribeca was dragging the undercarriage through the snow and she could feel it as she drove which was a first for her. Thank goodness she only has to go 4 miles down the hill to the shop.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1964 on: January 28, 2021, 11:18:22 PM »
Do they only jump off at high tide so they don't get stuck in the mud?

No, this is an all tide jumping area. There is about  4.5m (15') of water at low tide. This is just upstream/upharbour of the original wharf area of Tauranga. The port area only shifted down closer to the harbour entrance as ships got bigger.

I did find this WWII photo of a Liberty ship tied up at the Railway Wharf. I suspect it wasn't carrying much cargo as the water wouldn't have been deep enough for it fully loaded.