Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688659 times)

Offline Rural53

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1965 on: January 30, 2021, 03:16:53 AM »
First day of Auckland Anniversary Weekend (regional anniversary holiday). I headed an hour east to Whakatane to do the annual safety compliance checks on four race cars at Tim's truck repair workshop. His daughter and his neighbor's son race Kiwitrucks (Trophy Karts). Another local's daughter will start racing a Kiwitruck this year as well. The other vehicle I checked was a Class 8 - Open Truck. This is a 4wd truck powered by a 406 Donovan sprint car engine. It has been on the dyno this week and now makes 400hp at the wheels, about 500hp at the flywheel.

Each end of the truck classes 500hp vs 9hp.

Forklift makes inspecting Kiwitrucks a piece of cake.

Tim employs three truck mechanics and has just put a mobile hydraulic hose repair truck on the road. His original workshop is timber frame and timber truss.

The new section is steel frame.

Tim's Mazda BT-50 work ute

Smoked Jemfish from one of the father's.

Because I was in the area I stopped at three Whakatane Airport, as you do, and recognised this type.

It is a Grumman AA5-A and I recognised the registration. It belongs to the guy that used to own Air Gisborne, who I learnt to fly with and he did my flight test for my license. He was taking a break from fish spotting (tuna) at the aero club. I haven't seen him, to talk to, for twenty years so it was good to catch up with him.

Whakatane Airport has an interesting terminal building, built in the 1970's, the brief was to come up with a "distinctive design to contribute to a distinctive regional identity." See https://www.whakatane.info/news/whakat%C4%81ne-airport-terminal-listed-category-1-historic-place

Stopped at Blueberry Corner for a healthy lunch, blueberry and raspberry fresh yogurt cone.

Then stopped at Thornton, the outlet to the Rangitati River, somewhere I've never actually visited before.

The last stop before heading home for a nap was to visit one of the guys I worked with at Gisborne District Council in the late 90s and now lives outside Whakatane. He, and his wife, who also worked at the Council, I at least catch up with evey few years.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:03:54 PM by Rural53 »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1966 on: January 31, 2021, 09:45:10 AM »
Those Grummans are good planes. I had never flown one until a broker needed an AA5-B delivered from SoCal to KC MO. I'll never forget flying through the Grand Canyon at dawn.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1967 on: January 31, 2021, 10:09:02 AM »
Livin' the life Rural -- what a great place to be this time of year. Here in my region -- not so much; I hate winter!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1968 on: January 31, 2021, 02:51:26 PM »
Yesterday I opened the track up for a new club member to run his Class 10 - Motorcycle powered single seater.

Offline walrus

« Reply #1969 on: February 01, 2021, 02:02:01 AM »
Rust repair on bucket truck continues

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1970 on: February 01, 2021, 07:04:50 PM »
Good to see you got some supervision. :lol_hitting:

Offline 39Tudor

• Addicted to Anything That Takes Quarters!
« Reply #1971 on: February 01, 2021, 09:26:12 PM »
Today was my father’s 88th birthday.
He was having trouble with the stopper in his bathroom sink.
I went over this morning and helped him change out the tail stock under the sink.  I handled the stuff under and inside the cabinet and he sat in a chair and gave me direction!
I’m glad I am close enough to help my parents out. 

Tomorrow I am going to get him lunch from his favorite bbq restaurant and have a birthday lunch with my parents.
Jerry

Offline walrus

« Reply #1972 on: February 02, 2021, 05:30:25 AM »
Good to see you got some supervision. _hitting:
He is the brains of the operation.

Got fender flare mounted on new fender. Inner fender mounted. Unibit to rescue on some holes that don't quite line up;) Used old inner fender as template to get all the holes needed for antilock controller, second battery bracket and fuse box . I also cut skin of old fender to get  placement of studs for plastic fender flare.  Worked out great. Rust was pretty much confined to fenders. Cab is fine. radiator support was ok, Fluid film will be sprayed on everything once done.

Getting a rescue pup from Alabama on  Saturday.  She is at a foster location in Maine now.  Hoping Goose and her get along. They called her Reeses peanut butter cup because of her colors. Just going to be Reese to us.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1973 on: February 02, 2021, 07:33:46 AM »
Walrus, good looking pups!!

Glad you only had to do fenders on your truck and you got it all sorted out. 

Got to be tough to keep a vehicle for a long time fighting rust in Maine.  I know you stay on top of it, thankfully you can do it yourself

Offline muddy

« Reply #1974 on: February 02, 2021, 09:31:46 AM »
Good to see you got some supervision. _hitting:
He is the brains of the operation.

Got fender flare mounted on new fender. Inner fender mounted. Unibit to rescue on some holes that don't quite line up;) Used old inner fender as template to get all the holes needed for antilock controller, second battery bracket and fuse box . I also cut skin of old fender to get  placement of studs for plastic fender flare.  Worked out great. Rust was pretty much confined to fenders. Cab is fine. radiator support was ok, Fluid film will be sprayed on everything once done.

Getting a rescue pup from Alabama on  Saturday.  She is at a foster location in Maine now.  Hoping Goose and her get along. They called her Reeses peanut butter cup because of her colors. Just going to be Reese to us.

She's a beautiful pup! I love those colors and breed styling of a dog. Looked like a rottie mix?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline walrus

« Reply #1975 on: February 02, 2021, 03:00:26 PM »
She's a beautiful pup! I love those colors and breed styling of a dog. Looked like a rottie mix?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Yes on the Rottie mix, not sure what else, they said spaniel??  Thats what caught our attention. So far the foster parents have nothing but good things to say about her.  We get her  Saturday.

Got Bucket truck back together, ain't pretty, but good enough for a few more years. I probably should get a sticker on it and sell it but I probably won't :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 03:03:10 PM by walrus »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1976 on: February 02, 2021, 10:16:19 PM »
Good looking pup.

That southern belle from Alabama is in for a shock with a Maine winter.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1977 on: February 03, 2021, 03:59:31 AM »
After blowing another crappy Narva halogen headlight bulb I talked to my rally car builder mate who suggested talking to his auto electrian, who incidentally I also use, about a LED conversion. Before we installed (illegal) LED bulbs he suggested trying these Philips "vibration proof" halogen bulbs that he regularly installs in motorcycles. Note the 10G rating on the box. I was a bit disappointed they are made in Poland not the Netherlands. They were only 30% dearer than the Narva ones.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1978 on: February 18, 2021, 08:47:57 PM »
After four long days this week, I knocked off at lunchtime today and headed south to Taupo to do the annual tech Inspection on a club member's UTV.

View over Lake Taupo from the lookout above Taupo. It is unusual to not see snow on the mountains in the distance even in summer. Fairly warm at 23C/74F.

Offline john k

« Reply #1979 on: February 18, 2021, 09:12:18 PM »
Aw gee, bet you had the AC on in your truck.   Why dont you rub it in...?.? :)