Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688563 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2055 on: March 20, 2021, 06:11:09 PM »
Took the Shelby out for it`s maiden run yesterday... Wow just unbelievable i`ve only cornered like that in my dreams, upshifting downshifting .
Did a 70 mile run around the back hills and was still smiling for hrs after.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline walrus

« Reply #2056 on: March 21, 2021, 05:43:06 AM »
Took the Shelby out for it`s maiden run yesterday... Wow just unbelievable i`ve only cornered like that in my dreams, upshifting downshifting .
What Shelby? Pics please.

Got Kitchen sink back in, Dishwasher moved and hooked up, Island Butcherblock sanded and oiled and screwed down. Today its Oven and stove top, oven just barely fits, not much room for electrical in back, complicated by feed from stove top. Bought back splash tile, drawer pulls and new fridge yesterday. I'm into kitchen about 30 grand? I'd hate to have a big kitchen. Top shelf cabinets were a must after 30 years of particle board ones.. I laughed when I read the specs on weight in drawers. 125 lbs which I think is more than some HF tool boxes :)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2057 on: March 21, 2021, 10:34:24 AM »

About time!! what was you scared of??? :lol_hitting:

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2058 on: March 21, 2021, 11:42:35 AM »

:clap: way to go "cornered like that in my dreams" the best thing since sliced bread. Still have the Cup2's ... ?

Bonus .......!!

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2059 on: March 21, 2021, 12:03:59 PM »
Weather and temp, the tires are only good at 45 plus.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2060 on: March 21, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »
I dug a 20lb+ chunk of cement from the yard.
Bought another of the cheap 6x10 sheds from home depot and am working on the area where it will sit.

I had to soak the ground to pull that chunk of cement out ( half of what cemented in a 4×4 fence post at some point) so I'll continue tomorrow once it's dry.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2061 on: March 22, 2021, 03:19:26 PM »
R&R'd the crankshaft position sensor on the van. Also replaced the wiring harness and plug.

Been getting misfires on WOT and higher end speeds in 2nd and 3rd gear during hard accelerations. No one could fix it. Took it to the new mechanic. he felt the miss, but couldn't diagnose a cause. He recommended I use premium gas for a couple of tanks to see if that would fix it. I knew it wouldn't, but being he was a new mechanic to me and I didn't want to come off as a wise arse I did it. I tstill did i during WOT, but 95% of the time it was a non-issue. Still gets 16.5MPG in the city, so, I forgot about it.

Till two weeks ago. Did it on not so full throttle and lower speeds. but the service light came on, so I ran it by another shop i know and asked him to plug in his tester. Came back a 0335 code - crankshaft sensor circuit. He said change the sensor myself, see if that fixes the problem. because the diagnostic fee is $$$, so, might just save you some.

Bought the sensor ($80) and connector harness ($38) and did it toady. Found the harness connections at the sensor were bare copper! Should have only taken 20 minutes to do. But this old man and no shop lift took 3 hours! We'll see if it fixes the issue.

Am I just a nit-pic, or should something like this have been visible to an experienced mechanic? Here's the plug end of the harness, as I removed it. No cleaning. The copper is clearly visible. You'd think with a steam cleaned engine (that they complimented me on) and being under the van changing oil and lubing - and troubleshooting a misfire - they would have seen this. Or is it just me?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2062 on: March 22, 2021, 04:40:04 PM »
Looks like the wires got hot did you figure out why. If the connector is visible from underneath someone probably should have noticed when they were changing the oil but getting more than minimal attention anymore seems the exception. Whoever it was was probably busy on facebook or playing some game on the phone and it wouldn't fair to expect them to break attention from something important like that to worry about a customer.

One of the reasons I do anything I possibly can myself.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2063 on: March 22, 2021, 07:32:38 PM »
Another huge chunk of fence post cement, but this time I was hopefully smart about it.
Instead of digging the whole thing up I just busted it with a drilling hammer and pulled most of the large chunks so theres nothing on the surface.
Hopefully that doesn't prove to be a problem later on down the line.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2064 on: March 22, 2021, 11:09:30 PM »
Well, it works! Took the van out for lunch, and on the way home punched it. Dang did that thing accelerate up to 50 without a hiccup! Almost made the 3 hour job worth it.
Nice to have my truck back. It's been this way for 2-3 years, and nobody could find the issue.  :91:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2065 on: March 23, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »
Well, it works! Took the van out for lunch, and on the way home punched it. Dang did that thing accelerate up to 50 without a hiccup! Almost made the 3 hour job worth it.
Nice to have my truck back. It's been this way for 2-3 years, and nobody could find the issue.  :91:

Good job George, glad you were able to solve your own problem. Personally I'm pretty skeptical of many "professional" diagnostic capabilities these days. I've received plenty of service estimates that were just plain wrong or were just designed to lighten my wallet; with car dealerships being the worst offenders.

At least you had a mechanic that was straight up with you on what the cause may be. Years ago when I was traveling a lot for work, I knew a handful of independents that I trusted to take care of the wife's car without question when I wasn't around. That's not the case these days.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2066 on: March 23, 2021, 09:49:36 AM »
Thanks, Ray.

I had gone to this mechanic before. Actually he was our mechanic for many years. But then the service manager retired, and there were other people changing, and we just felt like service suffered. We found the new place, and they seem pretty good. But the last time the truck misfired and the code came up, I knew it would reset itself, so, went to the old company the next day to have him read it. Within an hour the code disappeared. So I at least had a hint of where to look.

And I give credit where credit is due, so, when I need tires in a few months I'll go back to the old place and get them from him.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2067 on: March 23, 2021, 05:28:30 PM »
Spent some of my taxes, needed a drill / impact set and I've heard good things about the ryobi one+ brushless line so that's what I went with.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2068 on: March 23, 2021, 07:18:26 PM »
Looks like you bought some good tools and the 460's and the Razorback trenching shovel and Ryobi will serve you well. :great:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2069 on: March 23, 2021, 07:30:00 PM »
Looks like you bought some good tools and the 460's and the Razorback trenching shovel and Ryobi will serve you well. :great:
I sure hope so, this is my first experience with brushless.
I actually bought the 460's for my uncle for his birthday, I'll get myself a set If I ever need 'em.

Btw I noticed that the Ryobi bit sets are made in Indonesia,  and the Craftsman tool bags are made in Myanmar wherever that is.
It may not be America but at least it's not China  :)

I also intended to buy a sledgehammer,  but I won't buy a Chinese hammer which is all I could find anywhere.

I'll order a Warwood from HJE here soon, boy the shipping is going to suck on that one  :33:
Same situation with post hole diggers, couldn't find handles for my old one nor a new unit American made so I'll just order the handles from House handles or Tennessee hickory.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:35:02 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn