Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688661 times)

Offline oldnslo

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2415 on: December 20, 2021, 05:38:44 PM »
I soldered up a NiMh battery set (just 3 cells) as a replacement pack to the OEM set for a rechargable Bayco hand trouble light. I made the mistake of using a soldering gun (not iron) and apparently heated up the batteries a bit too much and my run time was horrible. They never really took a full charge. I'm now performing a run test on the new cells.

Wish me luck.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2416 on: December 24, 2021, 10:19:53 PM »
This morning we baked cookies for Santa. In the evening we went on our annual Christmas Eve Santa train ride.

Tonight I finished up the pedal tractor I redid for Lucy. Started taking it apart in October. Needless to say I procrastinate.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline ron350

« Reply #2417 on: December 24, 2021, 10:55:36 PM »
Wow that looks great.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2418 on: December 25, 2021, 06:35:24 AM »
What a great job you did on that car Tim. Absolutely fantastic work. She's going to love it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2419 on: December 25, 2021, 10:02:59 AM »
Sweet Tim

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #2420 on: December 25, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »
Outstanding!
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2421 on: December 25, 2021, 06:31:41 PM »
Very nice. Now the kids have tractor pull competitions.

Offline john k

« Reply #2422 on: December 25, 2021, 10:43:29 PM »
We opened presents, had chicken for lunch, then headed to the garage to complete my Christmas present to my ladyfriend.  Dont normally do work on this day,  but no family anymore to give me static.  The present to my lady was to fix the air ride suspension on her Lincoln Navigator.  It is an '04, 140K, but looks good yet, just the age has caught up with the airbags.  Will often lean to the side 5 inches, diagnosed the heck out of it,  new height sensors, etc,.  Internet searches made me realize I was beating a dead horse.  So last week I ordered coil spring/strut changeovers.  Day one, first front one fought me, rusty bolts.  Got the front finished, and today we were gifted great 52 degree weather, decided to finish it, so was actually completed on Christmas.  Winter weather is coming soon.  She has her ride back, and is happy.  About the hardest I have worked on a present.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2423 on: December 26, 2021, 08:02:01 AM »
Good idea John. The old air and/or magnetic ride suspensions weren't long for this world. Many would fail within the first few years of ownership. A traditional suspension is the way to go. I'm sure she appreciated the effort.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2424 on: December 27, 2021, 10:37:06 PM »
Since the wind was blowing hard again today it would of been useless to try and attack the 2' tall drift in front of the shop big door. It started snowing again the snow drifted more. I have an over 2' drift on the back deck. Yesterday I had made quick work of the snow in front of the garage out to where the gravel starts with the snowblower as the snow was light and it threw far out of the chute. Worked great until the wind started ripping and blowing the snow back at me and where I had cleaned.

Since I couldn't work outside the wife called me into her house office. There she was with the dreaded tape measure uttering the fatal words "I have an idea."  :o
We then spent several hours flipping the heavy office furniture from one side to the other. What fun.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2425 on: December 28, 2021, 07:23:57 AM »
.............Since I couldn't work outside the wife called me into her house office. There she was with the dreaded tape measure uttering the fatal words "I have an idea."  :o    We then spent several hours flipping the heavy office furniture from one side to the other. What fun.

LOL -- I have heard those exact words more than I care to this last year Les. Usually followed by the phrase "when you get a chance" -- which of course in wife-speak means, you better get on it right away or you'll regret it.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2426 on: December 28, 2021, 08:40:51 PM »
Since the roads were in decent shape we went to town for dinner. Then we went to a grocery store and the shelves were bare in parts of the store. The problem is that I-80 has been closed over Donner Pass for 4 days due to the large amount of snow that has fallen. The Sierras have over 193 inches after the latest storm and 38 inches fell yesterday. In the store the produce, dairy and meat shelves were nearly empty with eggs totally gone. I imagine our Walmart and other 2 stores are in similar shape. Most of our produce and groceries come from California so if trucks can't get here we are out of luck.

Fortunately we only needed a few things and were able to get them but we have enough food in the pantry and on hand to last months.

So much snow has fallen at Lake Tahoe that they don't want people going up there. The only open highway from Cal to the lake is a parking lot and the only way into NV right now. 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2427 on: December 28, 2021, 09:37:57 PM »
Sounds like y'all are getting some much needed moisture.

I spent the afternoon fixing fence. This morning I went by my hayfield an noticed someone had driven thru the fence, broken up auto parts all over the place. evidently they sheared off a 16in transmission line pole because there was a new one in place. after they took down the pole they traveled another 300+ft and drove thru the pasture fence. Damn wonder no cows were out. I picked up two 5 gallon buckets of broken parts and 50 pounds of wood chunks from the pole. I hope the oil trail across the field doesn't kill it too bad.
I got to stop by the sherrifs office and see why I didn't get a call? Also see if the driver had insurance, file a claim for my fence.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2428 on: December 28, 2021, 10:49:30 PM »

I spent the afternoon fixing fence. This morning I went by my hayfield an noticed someone had driven thru the fence, broken up auto parts all over the place. evidently they sheared off a 16in transmission line pole because there was a new one in place. after they took down the pole they traveled another 300+ft and drove thru the pasture fence. Damn wonder no cows were out. I picked up two 5 gallon buckets of broken parts and 50 pounds of wood chunks from the pole. I hope the oil trail across the field doesn't kill it too bad.
I got to stop by the sherrifs office and see why I didn't get a call? Also see if the driver had insurance, file a claim for my fence.

Our rain season is 2 months old and we have already doubled last seasons drought totals. I love the moisture and snow but worry about having dry firewood in 2-3 weeks as the piles are covered with snow at the moment. The High Sierras really need about 6-700 inches this year.

Too bad nobody saw fit to notify you that your fences are down. That really sucks that people are too lazy to make an effort.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2429 on: December 29, 2021, 07:14:03 AM »

Hope you get the insurance money quickly, and that the Sheriff's Dept. can provide the necessary documentation without a lot of hassle.