Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688659 times)

Offline Rural53

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2445 on: January 22, 2022, 09:01:38 PM »
Rural, That is just plain cool

The other way to do it is with a lot of individual photos and edit them together.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 09:03:55 PM by Rural53 »

Offline muddy

« Reply #2446 on: January 22, 2022, 10:07:00 PM »
Didn't do much. Went to Red Wing store to exchange my new boots (a size too small was causing discomfort).

Cold stone Creamery was next door so we got some ice cream!

screen capture freeware

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2447 on: January 23, 2022, 11:10:45 AM »
Classic pic Tim. Cold as heck outside, and all bundled up for the worst; yet it's never too cold for an ice cream. Cute pic!!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2448 on: January 24, 2022, 04:57:20 AM »
I received this calendar in the mail today, it is nice to see one of my photos in print.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 04:59:13 AM by Rural53 »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2449 on: January 24, 2022, 08:35:09 AM »
Oh hell yeah, way to go Rural!!! :clap:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2450 on: January 24, 2022, 08:41:54 AM »
Very nice Rural - congratulations!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2451 on: January 24, 2022, 08:54:05 AM »
Nice job Justin and you have a very good reason to be proud. I know I enjoy your fine photography.

I also would like to know the meaning of the fishes. Do those symbols indicate when the fishing is good or poor?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 09:45:24 AM by DeadNutz »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2452 on: January 25, 2022, 03:51:41 AM »
Yes, the fish indicate when the fishing is good on the Coromandel Peninsular (the thin sticky up bit of the North Island) based on the phases of the moon. A whole fish represents good fishing and a half fish represents fair fishing. Although they are based at Puriri, eight miles south of the peninsular, they service most of it.

Because New Zealand is a small place....   Thirty years ago my uncle and aunt lived in Puriri and my uncle occasionally worked for Graeme Wright Transport as a relief driver.

The photo was taken in February 2020 of a group of trucks approaching the inaugural Bombay Truck Show. This truck show was organised by a small local transport company as there hadn't been a truck show in the North Island for at least five years. They decided to hold a small show as a fundraiser for the local school, rugby club and St Johns, with a hundred trucks on the local rugby club fields. Once it was announced places filled within a few days. Then Sutherlands, the market gardeners that backed on to the rugby club, offered to put the a couple of paddocks of broccoli into grass once they were harvested so there was extra room. This allowed the number of entries to increased to 275, on the day there were 280.

Entry was by gold coin donation, NZ$1 and $2 are a gold coloured coin, when they opened the collection cans most of them contained at least one $50 note. There were six to eight thousand people through the gates. Between the gate take and $50 a truck they raised over $68,000. The local school is the primary school I went to. I have given this photo to the organisers to use.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2453 on: January 25, 2022, 07:16:43 AM »
Darn Rural, that is a successful show for sure.  Love the ariel photo.  Drone I assume.  Is it yours?

Offline john k

« Reply #2454 on: January 25, 2022, 07:18:44 PM »
Nice set of photos..  pretty countryside. 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2455 on: January 25, 2022, 08:09:13 PM »
Truck show would be cool. we have several car shows a year but I havent ever seen a truck show.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2456 on: January 26, 2022, 08:18:56 AM »
There used to be plenty of truck shows in SoCal that we went to. We also had truck drags at OC Int'l Raceway and years back they had truck racing on the oval at Ontario Motor Speedway. I always enjoyed watching guys compete in the transfer dump timed competition.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2457 on: January 26, 2022, 08:38:45 AM »
Had a national antique truck show years ago in Baltimore and it was quite cool. 

Truck shows here tend to be regional and aren't close to us.  I would attend something local but won't drive 3 hours for one.

Now steam shows, there are likely 6 or more every year within an hour from me.  I normally hit one or 2 of them

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2458 on: January 27, 2022, 05:25:55 AM »
Darn Rural, that is a successful show for sure.  Love the ariel photo.  Drone I assume.  Is it yours?

Yes, that is a drone photo, not mine though. It was taken by a photographer called Vandi, who until a year or so ago also lived in Tauranga and took a lot of truck photos.

Had a national antique truck show years ago in Baltimore and it was quite cool. 

Truck shows here tend to be regional and aren't close to us.  I would attend something local but won't drive 3 hours for one.

Now steam shows, there are likely 6 or more every year within an hour from me.  I normally hit one or 2 of them

This one is about 2.5 hours from home.

For those with Facebook, my photo album from the day is at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10221455002223560&type=3

The 2020 Truck Show Event page that has a lot of photos and videos  https://www.facebook.com/events/334287837201551/?active_tab=discussion

Vandi Photography, a lot of NZ truck photos around the Bay of Plenty where I live and around NZ  https://www.facebook.com/Vandi-Photography-196339023798222/

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2459 on: January 27, 2022, 05:43:29 AM »
So yesterday's excitement. A bus cut the corner outside my office, ran over the kerb extension islands, dropped the back wheel onto the stormwater grate and bellied on the island. The workshop guys came out to try and free it with virtually no gear. They spent over an hour and a half trying to pack sand bags, planks etc under the wheel and drive it out. In the end  the towed it out with another bus. I don't know how much damage they did but there were some decent gouges in the island and what looked suspiciously like soot from inside the exhaust system on the island as well. I'm pretty sure with decent jack or airbag and a few 6x4 blocks of wood I could have jacked it up, put the blocks under the wheel and driven it out, all in about fifteen minutes.