Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688608 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2670 on: November 23, 2022, 10:03:17 AM »
That's very interesting Rural. These are the type of problems that the average motorist never thinks about or pays attention to.

Your right GF. Most people don’t have a clue about the infrastructure bringing the basic services to them. In the US we’re way behind the curve on keeping up with these systems. That’s why your seeing lot more loss of service issues. The Jackson Miss. incident will become common place f we don’t start dumping tons of money into infrastructure. Tons of money we don’t have.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #2671 on: November 23, 2022, 11:12:12 PM »

Sawtooth joint units, the ones on the off ramp keep coming loose. One currently has the part that holds the rubber seal in place broken off. Ten units are being dispatched via airfreight from France next week.

Always makes me think the bridge is going to be held together with shrink film until repaired. :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #2672 on: December 02, 2022, 10:41:22 PM »
Changed the thermostat and oil and filter on the van tonight. Got to use the under hood light I bought about a year ago for the first time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2673 on: December 05, 2022, 08:10:53 AM »
Wow, didn't know Harley made vans :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #2674 on: December 06, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »
Wow, didn't know Harley made vans :))
They'd leak everywhere if they did! :))

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2675 on: December 06, 2022, 08:40:11 PM »
Went out to get the mail today and found the mailbox plowed over. Great! Had it knocked over once before, have had mail stolen, and once even had it fire bombed. I thought the same neighborhood hooligans were at it again. :41:

Neighbor came over and said he thinks it was another neighbors landscaping company who knocked it over. He said, she said. With no eye witness and no cameras I'm out of luck. So I'll be rebuilding the stand and straightening the box tomorrow. At least I got to meet the new neighbor. :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Will have to use the existing concrete blob that was originally poured - don't dare digging it up and try to redo it. The local laws require a staking company to come in and mark everything underground first, and if you don't do it - and cause damage - the utilities will ream you for the repair. And insurance won't cover it. But the stupid staking company charges a fair amount for a few minutes work. Screwed either way. So I'll just reuse the existing plug of cement.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2676 on: December 06, 2022, 10:01:20 PM »
Installed a dual band VHF-UHF (2m/70cm) omni-directional HAM radio antenna in the attic, and programmed a my base station for cross-band repeater operation on my property. Works pretty darn well.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2677 on: December 07, 2022, 08:56:47 AM »
Bman sorry to hear about your mailbox but it’s interesting your locate folks charge you for a locate. It’s free service here. The utilities pay for the locates. Easier and cheaper to pay them than to fix breaks. BUT if you don’t use the locates and something goes bad. You’re on the hook for repairs.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2678 on: December 07, 2022, 09:45:47 AM »
Bman sorry to hear about your mailbox but it’s interesting your locate folks charge you for a locate. It’s free service here. The utilities pay for the locates. Easier and cheaper to pay them than to fix breaks. BUT if you don’t use the locates and something goes bad. You’re on the hook for repairs.

That makes sense.  Don't know if Miss Utility charges here or not

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2679 on: December 07, 2022, 04:28:23 PM »
Seems the 811 process is free, if you read down.

http://www.arizona811.com/homeowners/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2680 on: December 07, 2022, 06:52:24 PM »
Hmm. Last time I called and had them come out and locate the gas line for a dig I paid $100 IIRC. He "did me a favor" and ran the phone line, too. Been several years. Was a referral from a business friend, though. Maybe I got taken?

Anyway, mail box is back up. No trouble with the water main. Didn't quite finish before the mail man drove up but I caught him at the neighbors house and he didn't have anything for me. Told him I'd have it fixed by tomorrow, so, he said he wouldn't put a hold on the mail.

Perhaps I should think about camera system?   :017:

Offline john k

« Reply #2681 on: December 12, 2022, 05:48:39 PM »
Today was digging through the boxes brought home from the last auction.   Some stuff like the plain hacksaw frames, and no name pliers go right into the donate box.  When one has to buy a box lot just for one or two things isnt fun but it happens.   Think I have enough drill bits with tapered square shank, should be thinning them out too.  Did come up with a nice Skil direct drive 7.5 inch saw,  plus a pipe wrench with an extra grip feature.   So many old tools, so little time.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2682 on: December 12, 2022, 05:50:44 PM »
i feel ya John.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2683 on: December 25, 2022, 01:17:22 AM »
Christmas day here. Ended up driving a bit further into Auckland than originally planned as my cousin where I was originally going to tested positive for covid on Monday, so family Christmas lunch got shifted to another cousins.

Heading up through the Waikato this morning, about 75F, the day made it to 80F.

My oldest cousin's son finished at polytech last year and is working at Parrot Dog, a craft brewery, nice for some.

I'm now at my old neighbors, the ones I grew up with, having dinner.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 03:44:27 AM by Rural53 »

Offline john k

« Reply #2684 on: December 25, 2022, 10:51:56 AM »
Another sub-zero mornning, working on a 550 piece puzzle.  Been out a little but the cold and 40mph winds push me inside.