Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688566 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2790 on: June 17, 2023, 06:33:28 PM »
A friend was cleaning out old tools from his garage and came across a HF angle grinder he didn't need. It's still got some life in it so he gave it to me.

I've never had an angle grinder so I eagerly took it. Started disassembly, cleaning, and regreasing the gearcase today. Hopefully get it finished and put back together tomorrow. Then head down to HF and pick up some grinding, sanding, and shaping discs and try it on a project.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2791 on: June 17, 2023, 08:36:02 PM »
Got the Duke back together finally but now the transmission is stuck in gear :c002:
Apparently there is a service bulletin out with a shifter mechanism upgrade.
so back appart it must come!!!!!!!

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2792 on: June 17, 2023, 10:52:49 PM »
A friend was cleaning out old tools from his garage and came across a HF angle grinder he didn't need. It's still got some life in it so he gave it to me.

I've never had an angle grinder so I eagerly took it. Started disassembly, cleaning, and regreasing the gearcase today. Hopefully get it finished and put back together tomorrow. Then head down to HF and pick up some grinding, sanding, and shaping discs and try it on a project.

I suggest buying any grinding wheels stones, or any abrasive products you need from a welding supply shop instead of HF. If you use the HF  stuff I think it will be much more prone to failure that better quality abrasive products.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2793 on: June 18, 2023, 06:45:58 AM »
Spent yesterday afternoon working on my pontoon boat. The batteries were discharged to a point where the 24v charger would not activate and begin to recharge. Hence I had to remove two very heavy 1125 AMP batteries and place them on a long term external trickle charge.

Apparently the ground fault circuit breaker on the dock electrical outlet tripped some time ago, and enough time passed without me knowing about it to a point where the batteries just went below their charging threshold. What a PITA to remove and haul those batteries.

I was hoping to enjoy a boat ride with the family, and do some fishing for Father's Day -- not going to happen. Oh well!!!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2794 on: June 19, 2023, 04:06:51 PM »
Put pads and rotor on the front of the 17 F250. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2795 on: June 19, 2023, 05:44:22 PM »

I suggest buying any grinding wheels stones, or any abrasive products you need from a welding supply shop instead of HF. If you use the HF  stuff I think it will be much more prone to failure that better quality abrasive products.
[/quote]

OK 10-4

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2796 on: July 18, 2023, 05:52:26 AM »
Not today but Sunday. We finally got to go racing after being rained off for the last few months, including last weekend (someone in our club has definitely offended the weather gods!).

We have a couple of FPV drone guys that come and film sometimes. Here is the footage from one of them that was there on Sunday.
Photos...
1. How to piss off your daughter.... beat her on the finish line in a race she had been leading since the first lap! The margin was about a front wheel diameter. She did beat him in the next two races though
2. Dean driving his Prolite fairly hard off the front straight jump
3. Class 1 buggy and two Class 8 trucks dropping down into the run to the hair pin onto the front straight. Both Class 8's are American Prolites, the yellow one a V8 and the naked one an older spec four cylinder
4. Start of the smaller buggy classes race 

Offline muddy

« Reply #2797 on: July 18, 2023, 07:42:57 PM »
Those prolites look fun.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2798 on: July 19, 2023, 12:51:49 AM »
They are fun. They are fairly popular in the US as they are a spec class that makes the racing very close. They are fairly simple, the chassis is just 2" x 3" box section. They only have 12" of suspension travel in the front and 14" in the back and are limited to a 32" DOT tyre and pump gas. They originally ran a 2.5L four cylinder engine but they were requiring rebuilding every second race meeting or so. To lower costs they changed to a V8 no greater than 360 cubic inches with a single 650 Holley carb and a MSD ignition with a 6000 RPM limit. Gearbox is a manual shift Turbo 400. This is what became the "NZ Prolite" spec. I believe the US Amsoil Series are now running the LV1 4.3-liter V6 engine with fuel injection coupled to a GFORCE 4 Speed Dogbox transmission.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 12:53:37 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2799 on: July 19, 2023, 01:14:30 AM »
Yesterday one of our surveyors, who is also one of our UAV pilots, went and got some photos of the roundabout we are just completing. Interesting approval proccess to fly because it is right in the flight path of the local airport. Even though he had pre-approval for a 200' flight, when he rang the control tower for the final go/no-go they would only let him up to 60'.

Before photo and a couple of after ones. In the last photo you can see the retaining wall we had to build to not have to buy land.

Offline Midnitemack

what did you do today?
« Reply #2800 on: July 24, 2023, 05:32:16 PM »
Todays job ….. certificate of fitness time , like a 6 monthly compulsory for heavy vehicles in NZ , got failed for this  on my KW
and I have to replace the 4 Air Bags on the suspension of one of the drive axles ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 06:55:49 PM by Midnitemack »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2801 on: July 24, 2023, 07:01:27 PM »
Put alot of old paper thru the shredding machine. really heated that baby up! We get so much "we want to buy your home" crap that we have to shred at least twice a week to get rid of it all. Taking it to the UPS store got too expensive. Funny how any two-bit broker can get my home info yet when I need some information everybody is useless.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2802 on: July 24, 2023, 08:43:02 PM »
Todays job ….. certificate of fitness time , like a 6 monthly compulsory for heavy vehicles in NZ , got failed for this  on my KW
and I have to replace the 4 Air Bags on the suspension of one of the drive axles ……

Are the DOT over here worse or better then over there?

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #2803 on: July 24, 2023, 08:53:06 PM »
Muddy , in my own personal experience from running trucks in both countries , they are pretty much the same , if you can avoid having anything to do with them, you do !!!! The US , correct me if I’m wrong, has different rules and probably different standards in every state . I think our standards of maintenance here is higher because of the mandatory 6 monthly inspections.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2804 on: July 24, 2023, 09:28:59 PM »

Muddy , in my own personal experience from running trucks in both countries , they are pretty much the same , if you can avoid having anything to do with them, you do !!!! The US , correct me if I’m wrong, has different rules and probably different standards in every state . I think our standards of maintenance here is higher because of the mandatory 6 monthly inspections.

Yes the states all have varying standards for inspections (some don't have inspection at all for passenger vehicles)

Bigger trucks used to have to get inspected every 6 months here in PA but they got rid of that and now it is just a regular annual.

I'm not sure how roadside inspections are done if they are done to the states standards or if their is a federal (country wide) standard for those.

Seeing some of the stuff that is on the road I for one will never complain about mandatory vehicle inspections.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman