Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688574 times)

Offline muddy

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #255 on: October 28, 2018, 04:13:07 PM »
Baked a honey bread and had my parents over for lunch for my mother's birthday.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #256 on: October 29, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
Not today, but Saturday, spent the evening at the Metallica show....

Awesome 2+ hour set.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #257 on: October 29, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »
Cut up two 35 foot electric poles into five seven foot posts each. Co-op left them for me when they changed out a couple of poles on my ranch.  Good day to have forks on the JD.

Offline john k

« Reply #258 on: October 29, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
Drove into Omaha today, ran some errands.  Ate at Cracker Barrel,  played the golf tee game, got down to 3, then 2 then 1!   Stopped at the big antique mall.   Limited myself to .5 hour walk thru.  Found a Vise Grip belt pouch, with a five inch Nebraska made Vise Grip in there for $6.   Mainly wanted the belt pouch.   Got a battery for my back up car, and changed oil in my Jeep, all before dark. 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #259 on: October 30, 2018, 07:55:46 AM »
Got my air compressor mounted back up on the loft it lives on.  Darn pump locked up last week, apparently you need to check the oil in them :-[ 

Being mounted on a loft frees up floor space but makes maintenance harder.  Replaced the pump and all is good to go.

Sad thing, I missed out on a fairly new 80 gal IR compressor from a living estate I picked 2 months ago.  The compressor sells for about $1500 and they were asking $600.  I offered $400 as an open offer if they couldn't get it sold.  They let it and the balance of the tools go to an auction house I recommended and the auction company dropped the compressor.  My buddy told me they bent the flywheel (pulley).  I wonder if it wasn't the shaft they bent.  My buddy says he wished he had taken my offer.

Offline muddy

« Reply #260 on: October 30, 2018, 10:59:28 PM »
Brake job at work.

Gave the dog a bath.

Sam was a farmer for trick or treat this year.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #261 on: October 31, 2018, 08:09:36 AM »
Mama said Sam is so cute and i have to agree :-*

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »
Mama said Sam is so cute and i have to agree :-*

+1 -- He seems like a very well adjusted and happy little boy. Time flies so fast at this stage; enjoy the ride Tim.

Offline muddy

« Reply #263 on: October 31, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »
Thanks guys, we really are lucky and he is a very good kid, always smiling, sleeps through the night, he listens very well for his age (13 months) and barely fusses. Hopefully he decides to stay this way!

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #264 on: October 31, 2018, 03:07:16 PM »
Been busy getting set up for an Art Walk we have twice a year. I will selling photo prints.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2018, 09:45:53 PM »
Started Saturday with 13 pregnant boer goats, yesterday there were 21 babies running around. Mass confusion trying to figure out who came from who.

5 months ago Billy was a very busy boy.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #266 on: October 31, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »
Picked up the wife from work and headed to the old courthouse to vote. I hoped it wouldn't be busy since it is Halloween and I was right and we walked right in and voted. I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #267 on: November 01, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
Installed a new starter on my newer Gator today, should have been an easy job.  However, couldn't get to one of the bolts without removing other parts and the easy job went to hell.  Got it done.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #268 on: November 01, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »
I'm a machinist. Currently working in a pretty large operation.
I'm running a small Okuma MX45VAE three axis cnc vertical machining center (mill). I do exclusively hard milling on heat treated A2, D2, and S7 tool steel parts. These parts are 54-58 Rockwell and chew up the tooling.

About half of my work I finish, mostly thread milling and helical milling slip fit dowel holes (+/- .002", +.005"/-0, etc). The other half of my work is "semi-finishing" parts for the jig grinder, which finish the press fit dowel holes +.0002"/-0.

I have to hold parts to pretty tight locational tolerances however. +/-.0002" very common, occasionally +/-.0005" or +/-.002".

Each part usually takes more time to indicate than run. In a production setting this gets tedious. I have only worked in job shops in the past, with a much wider variety of work, so this is a change.

For example, parts I ran today are precision ground adapter discs. They have a variety of different types of holes in a circle, dowel holes, tapped holes, counterbored holes, etc. I first put an undersize gage pin in my drill chuck, and lower it into hole I will cut, which roughly clocks the part. The part is unclamped and against stops, just move til the pin drops.

I then screw in two widgets called thread locators into two tapped holes (assuming they will thread in, threads do weird stuff in heat treat, thats why I have an assortment of carbide taps). These locators have a threaded end, a small knurled ring, and then a small precision ground post that lets you accurately indicate tapped holes. I indicate these posts alternately and give the part small taps until posts are on location within .005", and then I clamp the part down.

Then get a different indicator and pick up the datum (usually a ground ID or OD) and try to get as close to dead nuts as I can. The best I've seen is about .0001" TIR, I don't know if the grinders can do any better. Set that point as zero, and hit cycle start. Then 5 minutes later...do it again.

Pardon the rambling.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 05:09:19 PM by Davethorik »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #269 on: November 01, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
Thanks for the description of your work. I was a happy camper about 15 years ago when I discovered I could turn heat treated punches and dies 58-62 Rockwell with ceramic inserts. I kept heat treated P&Ds on the shelf in a range of sizes and could turn them to a size the customer wanted fast. It beat taking a roughed out P&D to heat treat and then grind to finished size after H/T. We offered punched blanks, circles and holes to .005 call out in any size and could do tighter if needed.