Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688655 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #285 on: November 07, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
Very nice Muddy. I'll bet that is the first tractor you've been able to set on your work bench for rebuild.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: November 07, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »
Yesterday I took my cat to the vet to get her spayed and innoculated .
She was a stray that adopted us a few months ago, despite my wife's allergies. I tried to get her in a carrier back then, but failed.

Then she got pregnant and had 5 kittens, so 7 more weeks passed. We were able to give away all the kittens, and I managed to get her in the carrier and took her in.

She is now fixed, has her shots, and is microchipped. Her name is Skinny Minnie because though she is about a year old, she is extremely skinny  and weighs only about 7 pounds.

She is now home resting, eating, and being spoiled.

Skinny Minnie 10-26-2018 by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr

Beauty!

Our "Nichee" (she found her niche in life with us) showed up as a starving stray over 15 years ago and the vet figured she was about a year old at the time.  After bringing me some freshly killed rodents and showing herself to be completely gentle when mishandled by our then 2 1/2 yr old daughter, she had found her permanent home with us.  Fantastic cat, companion and friend to us all. 

She went outside early this last Sunday evening, curled up on the lawn and went to sleep for the last time.  We laid her to rest in our garden last night.

I think strays manage to find the family meant for them...I hope you and Skinnie Minnie enjoy many years together!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #287 on: November 07, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
Well, finally got the indoor operating handle for the rear door installed today. Had to do everything by hand. It doesn't look half bad, and interfaces with the existing door mechanism. Now gotta get to work on a lock/unlock knob, and finish the drivers door stop.

Kinda a necessity if I'm going to convert the van from work to personal use. I'm aiming for a 60's hippy look!  :))

Offline john k

« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »
Today, got my auto mechanic card up to date.  Yesterday, took my 96 Chevy pu for a 100 mile trip, and off and on had a severe vibration.   After a few miles no vibration at 65, but at 45 it was bad.   Coming out of town it started at 55, then disappeared.   Checked for mud in the wheels, nope.  Wheels all tight.  So figured it must be a U-Joint.   Chevy has 207,000, and didn't look like the joints had ever been touched.   Got my shop all plugged  with projects, so have to work outside.   This morning  it was 25 degrees, with forecast of snow coming.   Dressed warm,  and laid out cardboard to slide under the truck.   The four 7/16s headed bolts on the rear shaft  were not too rusty.   With the gas tank real close, and the drift shaft being aluminum,  could only fit in a box end wrench.  Rust penetrant on everything, especially the U  joint caps.   Took a little over an hour to get the four bolts out,  not much room to turn a wrench,  and looked like thread locker on them still.  All four needed encouragement of a 3 lb. hammer.    Then could not budge the shaft from the differential flange.    Tapped,  pried, talked sweetly to it.   Couldn't whack the shaft too hard being aluminum.   One does not want to distort the holes the U joint cups reside in.   Fired up the compressor, then went hunting up at the old shop for my long hose.   Found it after 10 minutes,  snapped on my air chisel, with hammer tool.   A quick rat-a-tat, and the shaft practically fell off.  As I figured two of the cups were stuck pretty good.   Ones at the front felt fine.   Soaked it all in penetrant and went in the house to eat and warm up.   Snow might be on the way so back on with the Carhartt coat,  and didn't have much trouble at all driving out the cups from the aluminum shaft.  Cleaned up the holes,  especially the groove the snap ring goes in,  got out the new U joint I bought yesterday on my way home, then it all went downhill.   Counter man gave me the wrong one,  not even close.  So, since that parts store is 30 miles away,  decided to try the little store in my hometown here, which is only 10 miles away.  .  Grabbed my phone and billfold,  and watching the closing in sky, made the quick trip in.  They had one, and made sure by comparing it to the one I just removed.   Sky getting darker,  is already past 3,  beat feet back home.  Things went scarily easy putting the new joint in.  Got the snap rings seated, then smacked the end of the shaft a couple times,  which freed it up to turn.  Slid back under the Chevy then back out, removed billfold from hip pocket,,  in with the shaft.    With oil on the bolt threads, was able to use my old flat ratchet wrench.   Snugged it all down, gathered up the tools,  and put things away.  I use a little box for tools and fasteners when out on the ground, and I loaded my billfold in with the tools.   Picked up the wood blocks behind the wheels, and put the PU back in its usual  spot.  Now seeing a few flurries.   Got in the house,, plugged in my phone, and no billfold.   Back to the shop,  nothing on the tool box,  and billfold wouldn't fit in any of the drawers.   Checked the grass outside, nothing.  Back to the house,  nope, not anywhere.  Back outside, checked to see if I left it in the PU, nope.   Walked the path to the house slowly,  and just as I grabbed the stair rail,  found my billfold in the big slide pocket of the Carrhart coat.   Fed the animals,  remove the muddy boots,  and clock on the wall said 5PM,  little over 5.5 hours for a 90 minute job.  All I have to do now it return the first U joint.  Glad I wasn't on the clock trying to make a paycheck on this one.  Got to get a hoist, in my shop. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:39:00 PM by john k »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #289 on: November 08, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »
Sounds like a normal day around here. >:( 

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #290 on: November 08, 2018, 09:40:22 PM »
Sounds like one of my days !
I once went to change U-Joints on my 98 Sierra- those that come with no zerks, and when I tried to knock them out like we used to do in older trucks, they wouldn't budge !

After watching me bang on them for a while, my neighbor came over and told me they had  plastic rings holding them in !

Just a few hits with the torch and the plastic just oozed out. Two or three hours for disassembly and 30 minutes for reassembly.

Thinking about t, those -joints are still on the shaft and serving me well after a couple hundred thousand more miles.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline AnsonJ

« Reply #291 on: November 09, 2018, 04:01:28 PM »
Came home from work, after supper I started working on one of Sam's Christmas presents.

I'm going to repaint this pedal tractor for him. Not going to be a goodfellow type restoration, just something to look nice.

As I was a little boy once, I know this thing is gonna get beat! Maybe when he's an adult bill do a full restoration.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Awesome.  My son has the Ford 8N version of that tractor.  He is almost 8 so probably only a few years left to play with it.  He likes hooking his wagon to the back of it.

AJ

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: November 09, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
Sounds like one of my days !
I once went to change U-Joints on my 98 Sierra- those that come with no zerks, and when I tried to knock them out like we used to do in older trucks, they wouldn't budge !

After watching me bang on them for a while, my neighbor came over and told me they had  plastic rings holding them in !

Just a few hits with the torch and the plastic just oozed out. Two or three hours for disassembly and 30 minutes for reassembly.

Thinking about t, those -joints are still on the shaft and serving me well after a couple hundred thousand more miles.

Years ago I made that same mistake when trying to change the u-joints on my 1986 GMC. Sadly, I did not give up trying to press the u-joint out until I actually cracked and broke in half a very nice quality old vise, (a big vise too) One of the few times in my life I resorted to cheatering the handle and I know well that if I kept pushing it I was going to break that vise which sadly I did. Only afterward did I find out about needing to use a torch on that kind of u-joint.

I have never again resorted to cheatering the handle on a vise and never will. That was about 25 years ago and I knew better when I did it.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #293 on: November 09, 2018, 06:19:58 PM »

Years ago I made that same mistake when trying to change the u-joints on my 1986 GMC. Sadly, I did not give up trying to press the u-joint out until I actually cracked and broke in half a very nice quality old vise, (a big vise too) One of the few times in my life I resorted to cheatering the handle and I know well that if I kept pushing it I was going to break that vise which sadly I did. Only afterward did I find out about needing to use a torch on that kind of u-joint.

I have never again resorted to cheatering the handle on a vise and never will. That was about 25 years ago and I knew better when I did it.

What brand of vise was it?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #294 on: November 09, 2018, 06:27:05 PM »
I always wanted one of those peddle tractors when I was a little skinner. Now I've got a back yard full of tractors.

Woulda been way cheaper to have gotten that out of my system way back then. ;D

Offline highland512

« Reply #295 on: November 09, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »
Came home from work, after supper I started working on one of Sam's Christmas presents.

I'm going to repaint this pedal tractor for him. Not going to be a goodfellow type restoration, just something to look nice.

As I was a little boy once, I know this thing is gonna get beat! Maybe when he's an adult bill do a full restoration.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
I am working on a similar project for our son. I went to the dealer to buy one for his birthday and promptly went on the hunt for a used one. At $457 for a new one it wasn’t to hard of a choice. Pictures to follow

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #296 on: November 09, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
I always wanted one of those peddle tractors when I was a little skinner. Now I've got a back yard full of tractors.

Woulda been way cheaper to have gotten that out of my system way back then. ;D

Made me laugh ........... that's to funny  ;D

I have never been happy with the results of the shifter console cover and boot. The cover bright diamond plate, not a fit the conforms with the interior. Boot was not siting in the cutout correctly, fed up, yanked the console, start over.

Out of ideas was the hold up, made a first pattern, located the console cover mounting bracket. Drill and tape the screw holes for mounting.

I'll finish and install everything tomorrow, will look factory instead after market. Complement the interior and look like it belongs..... will see

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #297 on: November 10, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »
The project was simple. Drill a hole through a 5/8" bolt, so I can run a hairpin clip through it and keep the nut captive. It's a tractor implement application.

Well, 3 broken (and embedded) drill bits later, and 6 "entry points" into the bolt, and I finally got one through to the other side (lets not worry about it being off-centered), despite using a drill press and marking the entry and exit points.

Sheesh...I am a swiss cheese drilling failure on such a simple task.

No pics...that would truly be embarrassing.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: November 10, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »
Not an easy task. Last time I ground a flat spot where I wanted the entry hole and ran a die back over the threads after. Allowed me to centerpunch where I wanted the hole so the bit didn't dance all over.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #299 on: November 10, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
J.A.F.E.----You are smarter than you look in your picture!!! :))