Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688592 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #330 on: November 14, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »
Big day for me.

Took a years leave of absence and rolled the toolbox to another shop after 25 years.

I'm with the same company... just building scenery instead of props and special fx.

It's less artsy and more fartsy but just as difficult. And a scary decision at 52 years old.

Wish me luck

...Rob

Best of luck!

Shaking tings up once in a while is a good thing. And you're lucky you get to go back after a year.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #331 on: November 14, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »
I refurbed a hose bibb, cleaned and serviced my new Shop Craft drill, added a seal to a watertight matches container, and finished installing the theft plate inside the door on my van. Pretty productive day!

Offline muddy

« Reply #332 on: November 14, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
Big day for me.

Took a years leave of absence and rolled the toolbox to another shop after 25 years.

I'm with the same company... just building scenery instead of props and special fx.

It's less artsy and more fartsy but just as difficult. And a scary decision at 52 years old.

Wish me luck

...Rob
Good luck!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #333 on: November 14, 2018, 09:54:49 PM »
Good luck and I hope it goes exactly as planned Rob.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #334 on: November 14, 2018, 10:25:49 PM »
Best of luck Rob,

At 53 and considering the same course. I understand where your coming from. Been in this field for 30 yrs and ready to see something different.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #335 on: November 14, 2018, 11:41:25 PM »
Best of luck Rob.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Online Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: November 15, 2018, 12:51:02 AM »
Good luck with the new position, Rob!

At 56 I know retirement from the Navy is just around the corner, and probably sooner than I was thinking.  I've been setting up a new business for the last year and can relate to the trepidation.

As for today, I went for an MRI due to my knee.  Recent injury, probably a miniscus and hoping it will mend itself.  That MRI machine's a noisy demon of a monster...I barely got any sleep!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #337 on: November 15, 2018, 03:01:06 AM »

As for today, I went for an MRI due to my knee.  Recent injury, probably a miniscus and hoping it will mend itself.  That MRI machine's a noisy demon of a monster...I barely got any sleep!

I know how that is, lay in one last month. My miniscus is definitely torn.  Now waiting for an appointment for them to operate.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #338 on: November 15, 2018, 07:14:30 AM »
Rob, I am betting the change of scenery will do you good :))  Good luck!!  What caused you to make the decision?

Rural and Bug, I had a meniscus repaired about a decade or so ago.  Results were great.  Incisions were sore but decreasingly so for 2 months.  Keep the knee up and iced and all will go well.  And yes the MRI is noisey

Offline Rural53

« Reply #339 on: November 16, 2018, 02:01:23 AM »
More a what I've done this week. Sunday I opened the track up so a guy who had just bought a RZR could run it.

Jason and Dyson bought their RZRs as well. Another couple of mates turned up and it turned into fun afternoon of driving. I got to have a drive of the turbo RZR (blue one). It is quite different to my N/A version (170hp vs 110hp).

One of the guys arrived in this. A 2012 Holden GTS (Holden Commodore), #1 of 15 built for the 25th Anniversary of the Commodore. It is the only one of the 15 with a factory installed 6.2L supercharged Walkinshaw Racing V8. It is 550kW (740hp). It will shred a set of tyres in 7.2 seconds and accumulate speeding tickets with uncanny ease. For sale this week for only $150k (US$102k).

Spent Monday and Tuesday in class for NZS 3910:2013 Conditions of contract for building and civil engineering construction, about as exciting as it sounds. Monday night headed to Jason's workshop. Some new gear has arrived. Pro-tools notcher and bender.

Wednesday on site to look at a small job we designed. Upgrade of a road that a new school is being built at the end of. Before photo (last year) and one on Wednesday.

Spent the rest of the week trying to catch up after loosing two days at the beginning of the week. It is now Friday and this is the view off the deck at work as I have a beer.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:40:51 AM by Rural53 »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #340 on: November 16, 2018, 07:15:39 AM »
Rural, that Holden looks sweet.  So when are you taking delivery?

I have a question.  The road to the school looks like a great improvement.  How do the people in the neighborhood take change like that?  Here,some folks would be complaining about the traffic, stealing a foot off their lawn etc?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #341 on: November 16, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing those great pics and stories Rural; -- much appreciated!

That Holden being as light as it is, coupled with that monster engine, must be a sight to see.

We had the same platform in the US about 10 years ago (Commodore platform) known as the Pontiac G8 and Chevy SS. They didn't get the high HP engine as you described above, but had some serious V8 power options -- some making in the mid-400's HP. It was a "wolf in sheep's clothing" -- but didn't sell well in the US market. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:52:43 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Brophy

• Stupid Hippie
« Reply #342 on: November 16, 2018, 05:29:11 PM »
Rob, I am betting the change of scenery will do you good :))  Good luck!!  What caused you to make the decision?

Thanks everyone for the good wishes!!!

FF: I didn't like the quality of work we were putting out due to poor managerial communication.  ;) Was that subtle enough?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #343 on: November 16, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »
Strung copper across the floor, wife loves it  ;D from the router to my computer, turned off the WI-FI and configured the Ethernet network. Computer, to switch, two other ports, one weather station computer, the other terminates at new modem/router/WI-FI hardware. 

Like a copper internet connection, solid steady speeds, WI-FI, suffers some from interference. Any air broadcast signal does, just the way it is. With everyone sporting WI-FI these days, adds to the congestion ........ think traffic jam @ rush hour and things slow down.

Folks talk about ISP's throttling back  network speed, I cannot prove that. Copper remains the same all day everyday. However I can detect speed changes and connection stalls on the WI-FI, 2.5 and the 5gb channels.

Now I have the Ethernet running, it's time to run the cable below the floor. Will not be to bad, have one hurtle to over come. There is a 2 x 10,  7ft in from the front edge of the garage wall. It spans between two floor joices of the bedroom floor. I must drill a hole in the lower corner to get the cable in the bedroom and up thru the floor.

So I'm building an 8ft drill bit in the morning and will have my way with it. talk about a single use tool bit .....LMAO it will look like a lance  :-\

Enough rambling, report back later

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #344 on: November 16, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »
The installer who put my alarm system in had a drill bit @6ft long.1/2 in bit with a 3/16 spring steel extension, really flexible too. I was checking it out and he asked if I wanted it, seems it was getting dull. Sure I wanted it. after he left I sharpened it and have saved my butt with it a few times. 

Do you know how hard it is to sharpen a 6 ft long drill bit??  :o