Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688663 times)

Offline Rural53

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #345 on: November 16, 2018, 11:33:03 PM »
I have a question.  The road to the school looks like a great improvement.  How do the people in the neighborhood take change like that?  Here,some folks would be complaining about the traffic, stealing a foot off their lawn etc?

There are bound to be some complaints, people are people. These houses have no legal access to this road so have never really used the roadside grass. The whole city is growing at about 10%+ a year. In 2004 when I started working in Tauranga the population was about 100,000. It is now 140,000. When I got involved in this project six months ago the view behind where I took the photo from was of kiwifruit orchards. Now there are roads and they have built the first few new houses. The kiwifruit orchard behind the hedge on the right is about to be cleared for housing as well.

Offline walrus

« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
The installer who put my alarm system in had a drill bit @6ft long.1/2 in bit with a 3/16 spring steel extension, really flexible too. I was checking it out and he asked if I wanted it, seems it was getting dull. Sure I wanted it. after he left I sharpened it and have saved my butt with it a few times. 

Do you know how hard it is to sharpen a 6 ft long drill bit??  :o

Greenlee makes them with spade bits on them also

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
The installer who put my alarm system in had a drill bit @6ft long.1/2 in bit with a 3/16 spring steel extension, really flexible too. I was checking it out and he asked if I wanted it, seems it was getting dull. Sure I wanted it. after he left I sharpened it and have saved my butt with it a few times. 

Do you know how hard it is to sharpen a 6 ft long drill bit??  :o

Greenlee makes them with spade bits on them also

I used to sharpen a lot of those. Twist drills, spade, and auger style.

Offline highland512

« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »

There are bound to be some complaints, people are people. These houses have no legal access to this road so have never really used the roadside grass. The whole city is growing at about 10%+ a year. In 2004 when I started working in Tauranga the population was about 100,000. It is now 140,000. When I got involved in this project six months ago the view behind where I took the photo from was of kiwifruit orchards. Now there are roads and they have built the first few new houses. The kiwifruit orchard behind the hedge on the right is about to be cleared for housing as well.

On if the main reasons I’m back to working for a company that only works on water and wastewater plant projects.  We always seem to work out of site out of mind. As long as the water comes out of the tap clean and the toilet smellers go away nobody complains. I have worked on road jobs like that and the crazy shit home owners try to pull is mind blowing.

One tried to sue me personally (I was an employee of the contractor) because I didn’t put her drive way approach in the way she wanted on the city property she didn’t own.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #349 on: November 17, 2018, 09:36:56 PM »
Got the cable run done, pulled two cables. Bit worked great, problem was the hole in the floor I was after. Was on the the other side of the floor joyce. Sometimes even measuring 50 times you can still get it wrong . LMAO

So pressing on got everything in order, network is up.  I'll clean the garage, work bench and every other corner the wood chips rained on.  Poking  holes for the wire to pas overhead tomorrow,.

I can tell you this I would not want to do data center cable runs and termination for a living. PIA :-\

I'll happily stick with the server side of things ..........

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »
Yesterday took some junk to the auction.

Today went to an indoor range with some family, to do some target practice.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2018, 07:33:23 PM »
I got a small easel that a local painter had discarded. My 5 year old grandson shows extraordinary artistic talent, so I decided to fix it up for him. The swing out back leg was missing so I used a bamboo backscratcher to replace it.

The best part is that I got him out in the shop to help. He did well holding it ( with Papaw's help ) to thin it out with the belt sander. Didn't tell him it was for him, but when he gets it for Christmas, I hope he remembers working on it with Papaw.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2018, 08:38:35 PM »
I got a small easel that a local painter had discarded. My 5 year old grandson shows extraordinary artistic talent, so I decided to fix it up for him. The swing out back leg was missing so I used a bamboo backscratcher to replace it.

The best part is that I got him out in the shop to help. He did well holding it ( with Papaw's help ) to thin it out with the belt sander. Didn't tell him it was for him, but when he gets it for Christmas, I hope he remembers working on it with Papaw.

Great job Noel! That boy will remember these times well into adulthood. I vividly remember "working" with both my dad and grandpa at an early age. It's burned into my memory and I was in hog heaven. Even at that young age I somehow knew it was a special time.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2018, 03:03:38 AM »
On if the main reasons I’m back to working for a company that only works on water and wastewater plant projects.  We always seem to work out of site out of mind. As long as the water comes out of the tap clean and the toilet smellers go away nobody complains. I have worked on road jobs like that and the crazy shit home owners try to pull is mind blowing.

Almost all my work is on the road. I haven't done a pure green fields job since 1997 (trade waste pump station for a new industrial subdivision). I have done a couple of road jobs in the last seven years that were over 50% green fields. Working away from the public is great.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2018, 07:14:03 AM »
So tidying up the loose ends has now led to a reorg of the floor plan and some light tool storage, funny how that works. Need to grab a power strip from work, they are discarded or soon to be from older server racks removed. They are a real clean look with an on/off switch, lighted ;D  even and built in 15amp breaker.

For those who don't know what the "F" I'm talking about. I post a picture, when making space for the lathe. Installed one on the wall to the left of the mill.

So see when I post a shop in always in motion this is what I mean. Do one thing different and problems show up. Address them when noticed and correcting, a better shop will evolve.

It's magic,

Pep
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:17:36 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
Very true Pep. One thing moved means other things moved when cleaning, reorganizing and de-cluttering a shop. The end result is often even messier and more disorganized than it was starting out before you make it back to the final version of improved/re-organized.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2018, 12:24:44 PM »
Cleaning a shop often makes it messier, or at least puts things where you can't find them !
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #357 on: November 19, 2018, 03:06:47 PM »
With family coming in for Thanksgiving this week is home prep - fun shop time is out. Lots of cleaning and prepping the house for guests - geez the honey-do list is quite long.

Gas water heater was grumbling and thumping at me so drained it and flushed it out in preparation for tons of showers later this week. Man did alot of grainy yellow stuff and this white-blue gelatinous chunky material come out. (Guess it's been awhile). The water company recommends draining the water heater once a month, but I can't see wasting 30 gallons of HOT water per month in the desert. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Well, I'm done for today - got 4 to-do items crossed off the list. Tomorrow I'm back at it - try to finish it up.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #358 on: November 19, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
Cleaning a shop often makes it messier, or at least puts things where you can't find them !

This for truth.

Every year we host a big Easter event at the house. I clean up all my projects and put them away. I cant find anything afterwards.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #359 on: November 20, 2018, 08:15:05 AM »
Yep, we are hosting Thanksgiving, about 25 people.  And we are in the middle of having the main floor painted.  We are getting there but it won't be perfect and I really don't care :))