Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688671 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #375 on: November 20, 2018, 08:44:18 PM »
Freeze plug and tranny jobs at work.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Tranny jobs look way scarier than they are. It's nice to be able to just pull it as a unit right out the front.

They are rotten things to work on, with wicked cramped quarters. I'm glad you're out there to keep the material handling world rolling.

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #376 on: November 20, 2018, 08:56:15 PM »

Nice work Tim -- keeping industry rolling seems to be a much better job proposition than working in an automotive shop these days.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #377 on: November 20, 2018, 09:09:21 PM »
Man, I'm glad I don't have to work on those things daily. :-\  Everything is big and heavy. my back hurts just looking at it.

Offline muddy

« Reply #378 on: November 20, 2018, 09:14:52 PM »

I'm in awe of you muddy that you work on forklifts. The times I've had to work on mine I always lose skin off my knuckles and arms. I'm also not enough of a contortionist to reach some of the bolts. I have to find out why my brakes failed and fix them. :(

As far as your brakes, if you have good pedal there's really only a few things it could be....

Your shoes are wet, either from wheel cylinder leaking or axle seals leaking.

Or your shoes could out of adjustment or  just be plan worn out.

The brakes on a forklift are almost  identical setup to an automotive drum brakes system.

Offline muddy

« Reply #379 on: November 20, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »

Tranny jobs look way scarier than they are. It's nice to be able to just pull it as a unit right out the front.

They are rotten things to work on, with wicked cramped quarters. I'm glad you're out there to keep the material handling world rolling.

Greyson
Yeah they really appear more intimidating then they are. Once you start digging in they get easier as you go.

Offline muddy

« Reply #380 on: November 20, 2018, 09:16:22 PM »

Nice work Tim -- keeping industry rolling seems to be a much better job proposition than working in an automotive shop these days.
I don't think I would be happy in an automotive shop.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #381 on: November 20, 2018, 10:48:48 PM »

I'm in awe of you muddy that you work on forklifts. The times I've had to work on mine I always lose skin off my knuckles and arms. I'm also not enough of a contortionist to reach some of the bolts. I have to find out why my brakes failed and fix them. :(

As far as your brakes, if you have good pedal there's really only a few things it could be....

The brakes on a forklift are almost  identical setup to an automotive drum brakes system.

I was moving crates around on and under the pallet rack and blew a hose on the mast and then the brake pedal went to the floor. I was 40' deep into the shop and left a trail of fluids all the way out the door. Thank goodness for an epoxied floor as a couple of hours mopping the floor it was nice and clean with no stains. The forklift is a 4000# TCM.

Offline muddy

« Reply #382 on: November 21, 2018, 06:38:20 AM »

I was moving crates around on and under the pallet rack and blew a hose on the mast and then the brake pedal went to the floor. I was 40' deep into the shop and left a trail of fluids all the way out the door. Thank goodness for an epoxied floor as a couple of hours mopping the floor it was nice and clean with no stains. The forklift is a 4000# TCM.
Sounds like you blew a brake line.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #383 on: November 21, 2018, 07:29:57 AM »
K5 and i pulled the motor out of my lift a few years back to replace the flywheel.  Got it done, not quickly but we did get it.  Glad I had another fork lift to lift the counterweight off and to move the lift around and yank the motor out.  I don't care to work on them either but I also hate to pay a shop to work on it for me. 

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »
Man, I'm glad I don't have to work on those things daily. :-\  Everything is big and heavy. my back hurts just looking at it.

These are the baby ones lol.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #385 on: November 21, 2018, 09:32:56 AM »
I don't think I would be happy in an automotive shop.

I’m not happy in a MHE shop. I haven’t been doing it long but it’s already pretty boring. The only real challenge is working in tight spaces.  ???

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #386 on: November 21, 2018, 09:55:20 AM »
DN, your brakes shouldn't be too terrible unless they're like an old clark warehouse solid tire model and the brakes are inside the transaxle housing. It's easiest to chuck almost everything and order fresh new parts all the way out. I just did brakes on mine in August. It was around $600 in parts for aftermarket. The hardest part was the adjustment because the 250lb tire has to come off to access the adjuster hole. That and coming up with a couple big metric seal drivers. Other than that, it's just a greasy mess. Bounce the axle shaft out with a hammer, unscrew the preload nut, and pull the drum off the spindle.

Greyson

Offline muddy

« Reply #387 on: November 21, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »
DN, your brakes shouldn't be too terrible unless they're like an old clark warehouse solid tire model and the brakes are inside the transaxle housing. It's easiest to chuck almost everything and order fresh new parts all the way out. I just did brakes on mine in August. It was around $600 in parts for aftermarket. The hardest part was the adjustment because the 250lb tire has to come off to access the adjuster hole. That and coming up with a couple big metric seal drivers. Other than that, it's just a greasy mess. Bounce the axle shaft out with a hammer, unscrew the preload nut, and pull the drum off the spindle.

Greyson
Yep just did a Clark like a couple of weeks ago.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #388 on: November 21, 2018, 09:22:39 PM »
Had to straighten up the garage a little to make room for my new firewood rack. I got this from a neighbor for $40 who was selling it for an elderly friend. These shipping/receiving racks are over $500 new. It will sure beat the wood sitting on the floor getting spiders and leaves and scorpions and other assorted crap blown in by the wind. Fortunately I put the boot shelf high enough for it to fit under.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #389 on: November 21, 2018, 10:40:24 PM »
Finally snagged a cylinder head for the 8oo ford tractor. The old one was cracked in several places and the machine shop didn't think it would lockstitch too well. Finally found one that wasn't crazy money. Took a chance that it'll pass a magnaflux and can get the old Ford out of the shop. if I can remember where all the parts go/went.  :-[