Author Topic: Another one: S-K TUFF 1 pawnie rat  (Read 4956 times)

Offline bonneyman

Another one: S-K TUFF 1 pawnie rat
« on: October 29, 2019, 02:57:51 PM »
Pawn shop was still open this morning on my way back form shopping, so, I stopped by. The fixtures are coming down form the walls but still had tools. They were bagging up little bundles of tools and -as I scanned the counter - I saw an S-K TUFF 1. They allowed my to break open the bag and buy just this one. A long style 1/4"er - for $2!

Offline fatfillup

Re: Another one: S-K TUFF 1 pawnie rat
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »
That is a good score.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 06:05:04 PM »
Ever since finding out S-K made such a rat I've been on the lookout. Gave away a FACOM and a JS before finding an S-K in 3/8" a while back. Now I have a 1/4" to go with it. Hot diggety!

Just my humble opinion, but I think the S-K TUFF 1's are better then the Craftsman RHFT that everybody seems to like so much.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:10:57 PM »
I'd take any sk over just about any other brand ratchet. but i do like my old usa coarse tooth craftsmans. haven't broke one yet.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 08:23:16 PM »
Great grab

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
 a good user as well. at the time they came out 72 clicks was almost unheard of!

the key to them is proper tension on the screw. not so loose that spring comes unhooked and not so tight that the mechanism locks up. they came with lock tite and that is an acceptable method to hold the screw in place  but there are other ways. i have used thread sealing tape as well as lightly "damaging" a couple threads to lock the screw in place.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 01:45:41 AM »
Looks like a nice ratchet.
I'm fine with 45 teeth In a ratchet, but 72 seems just about perfect to me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ken w.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 09:16:42 AM »
Did they make these in 1/2" drive ?  I have both 3/8 & 1/4 , but I've never seen a 1/2.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
a good user as well. at the time they came out 72 clicks was almost unheard of!

the key to them is proper tension on the screw. not so loose that spring comes unhooked and not so tight that the mechanism locks up. they came with lock tite and that is an acceptable method to hold the screw in place  but there are other ways. i have used thread sealing tape as well as lightly "damaging" a couple threads to lock the screw in place.

10-4  I use an HVAC product that's similar. I needed to lock a screw but was out of LocTite, so used Leak Lock which I had on hand. Worked great. Then just started using Leak Lock more and more until now I use it on most things.

https://www.highsidechem.com/leaklock.php

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »
Looks like a nice ratchet.
I'm fine with 45 teeth In a ratchet, but 72 seems just about perfect to me.

Yeah, I think the TUFF 1 was the perfect response to the modern claim that the "old" S-K round head didn't have enough teeth for tight jobs. So they licensed the design from FACOM while they were owned by them (1985-2005). Sadly they stopped making the style since they went independent - and I don't think rebuild kits are available from them for it anymore. Though I believe the FACOM kit will work.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
Did they make these in 1/2" drive ?  I have both 3/8 & 1/4 , but I've never seen a 1/2.

I kinda remember the 2004 S-K catalog I used to have and don't recall there being a 1/2" TUFF 1, but my memory ain't what it used to be and I was too stuck on the standard round head I wouldn't have given any other S-K rat a second look.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 01:39:03 PM »

I kinda remember the 2004 S-K catalog I used to have and don't recall there being a 1/2" TUFF 1, but my memory ain't what it used to be and I was too stuck on the standard round head I wouldn't have given any other S-K rat a second look.

tuff1 10.3 inch 1/2 drive 42475

tuff1 15 inch 1/2 drive 40175

tuff1 17.2 inch flex head 1/2 drive 42775
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
I have the 10" version.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline highland512

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 07:35:21 AM »
Man I have been hunting one of those for years, congratulations. And at $2 you stole it!!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
Man I have been hunting one of those for years, congratulations. And at $2 you stole it!!

Same here! My dad once said, "You gotta have the time or the money. Keep your eyes open, keep looking, keep scrounging. Eventually you'll find what you're looking for at a price you're willing to pay". That advice has proven to be so true.