Author Topic: Lincoln Lubrigun  (Read 3793 times)

Offline coolmercury

Lincoln Lubrigun
« on: October 29, 2019, 03:44:43 PM »
Picked up this grease gun in a box lot.  Lincoln Engineering Co. St. Louis, USA.  Kind of neat, but have to fill by hand.

Offline Elroy

Re: Lincoln Lubrigun
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 04:18:01 PM »
Those grease guns work A OK
Elroy has two examples.................one with a conventional chuck to mate with a zerk and another with a simple cupped tip that will also service a regular zerk but it requires the operator to apply pressure to the "gun" tip to maintain a seal at the zerk tip

Not sure of their history but Elroy is under the impression one of these guns came as OEM equipment a with Jacobsen reel mower pops bought back in the early 50's

While they're a mess and a PITA to fill...........they work just fine.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 04:19:07 PM »
That sounds messy :))

See a similar set up for lubing air tools, but the tip goes to a point.  Think they have a screw on tube of grease, tube is like a toothpaste tube.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »
That sounds messy :))

See a similar set up for lubing air tools, but the tip goes to a point.  Think they have a screw on tube of grease, tube is like a toothpaste tube.

Exactly..............And those toothpaste tubes of grease contain the recommended grease for impact mechanisms. Those needle type guns work well on flush type fittings found on impacts. Elroy tells me........... he has been on the look out for one of those guns at a good ( read cheap) price.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 05:22:59 PM »
Filling one of these is a joy compared to when I glazed greenhouses in the 50's and filled calk guns from a five gallon bucket of calk.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 08:07:57 PM »
I watched the old man fill his grease gun for years, he always used a putty knife to load her full.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 07:26:18 AM »
I watched the old man fill his grease gun for years, he always used a putty knife to load her full.

That is the best least messy way. I have had some real adventures over the years.  Backing up 10 years, thinking all grease guns were much the same. Got a run of the mill gun. To fill pull the plunger back. Slip in the tube, release and go, looked good on paper.

Problem was with the spring cocked, I say cocked. Cause it is a grease hand grenade. The slightest bump caused it to release. No need to add to that picture, even if lucky enough to get the second tube loaded and top on.

The POS was a PIA to get primed. Never mind it oozed grease 24 x 7 x 365 as a constant reminder that's a POS/PIA.

As to priming, the cheap gun, after one gets the tube in. And having trouble getting it primed. Let it set in the sun, that softens the grease enough and allows the grease to push the air out that is in the top cap.

Finally solved all 3 problems buying a Lincoln gun

Hope you had a laugh, cause the grease hand grenade, is now funny looking back.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 08:19:25 AM »
Never had a complete grease hand grenade, but maybe a M80

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »
In my experience, Lincoln is the best quality grease gun. A couple of years back I bought one of those roll around units that holds a 5 gallon bucket of grease and runs off of air. It too is a Lincoln. I have not loaded it up and used it yet. I look forward to that.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 09:30:38 AM »
In my experience, Lincoln is the best quality grease gun. A couple of years back I bought one of those roll around units that holds a 5 gallon bucket of grease and runs off of air. It too is a Lincoln. I have not loaded it up and used it yet. I look forward to that.

+1 -- their designs and technology have proven themselves for over a century.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
Those are beauts. I was able to snag one last year, but has a non-zerk head. Just a factory formed "pointy thing" I use for directing grease into bike wheel bearings.

Might I ask that you post a pic of the business end of the plunger? I am missing mine, and while the opening in the base end is somewhat double key shaped (probably to keep the plunger from wandering off), I wonder what the end opposite the finger hole looks like so I can closely fabricate that end.

TIA

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 06:06:40 PM »
Those are beauts. I was able to snag one last year, but has a non-zerk head. Just a factory formed "pointy thing" I use for directing grease into bike wheel bearings.

Might I ask that you post a pic of the business end of the plunger? I am missing mine, and while the opening in the base end is somewhat double key shaped (probably to keep the plunger from wandering off), I wonder what the end opposite the finger hole looks like so I can closely fabricate that end.

TIA

I have several (including a Dualco I bought brand new) of the needle tip ones as you describe and none of them have reservoir plungers. They all have the same keyhole in the end as well. I've always just used a flat blade screwdriver to push the piston up, but I've never read the destruction manual either.