Author Topic: Advice on Buying a Car Trailer  (Read 5820 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Advice on Buying a Car Trailer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 01:30:00 PM »

When you said you will be towing with a jeep scrambler are you referring to the new gladiator?

Yes I misspoke it is a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon with the tow package.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 01:32:13 PM »
Have a trailer up for sale. Steel diamond ramps, hide away ramps, slide up and into the back of the trailer ramps.

No car tires, real trailer tires, spare, large tool box, all lights working, electric brakes, fenders solid.

Race car & Hotrods tested

Location... GA

We are at pretty opposite ends of the I10 or that would be very tempting.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline highland512

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 01:58:11 PM »

When you said you will be towing with a jeep scrambler are you referring to the new gladiator?

Well jeeps website 7,000 lbs, that surprised me. I guess as long as you dont buy a real heavy trailer you should be good.
https://www.trailerfactoryoutlets.com/2019-lamar-trailers-83x18-car-racing-trailer-ls0h%7Ch2.html
I would look at something like this. I would want brakes on both axels but your not towing a heavy load. It looks to be a little nicer trailer for a few hundred more $$, radial tires and the load stop pipe in the front are big + in my book.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »
Mostly a pain in the a$$. The steel belt got wrapped up in the drum and brakes so I ended up having to pull the drum off and unwrap all that steel belt from the tire. This was after having to beat the rim that had rolled itself around the back of the drum and backing plate. The other one was much easier. I was glad I had several pares and the tools to pull the drum off. And of course the floor jack to pick it up and some wood blocks to make sure it stayed up. All on the side of I20 about an hour or so west of Ft Worth.

Truck tires are fun too. I have a bad habit I learned from my Dad where we run the tires until there is no life. Then change em on the side of the road. My son fortunately doesn't share this trait.

A pic of our setup.
And while we are talking towing Id like to recommend some sway control and weight distribution set up.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP66130.html
This is what I use and wouldn't want to tow our big trailer without it. Though I don't use any with the small flat trailer we have 2500 truck to tow with. You might consider something as your tow vehicle might not be as stable.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:08:53 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 02:11:21 PM »

You are much better off towing with a Gladiator than a Scrambler. The longer the wheelbase the better to tow a trailer.

Offline john k

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 03:12:57 PM »
One thing i am not seeing are good tie down points.  Some states dont agree with straps or chains over the sides,  too easy to be sheared off.  Have pulled car trailers for over 40 years,  some times tractors instead of cars.

Offline highland512

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
Where you to find any intergalactic trailer options?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 11:13:50 AM »
Where you to find any intergalactic trailer options?

Yes but you can't believe how expensive they are. And you better be sitting when pricing the tiedowns.