Author Topic: Cup of coffee.  (Read 7012 times)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Cup of coffee.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 07:00:29 AM »
Folgers percolated for me, injuring a Lambardi, is a pain in the rear  :D
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
We drink Starbucks French roast for the most part.  Get it at the grocery store.  Wife, shop guy and I all like it.  Probably don't brew it as strong as Starbucks but it is a little strong and its a good compromise for the three of us.  I have had better coffee but this is certainly good enough.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 09:26:20 AM »
What it chicory? I `ve seen it before and wondered.
Its from the root of the chicory plant, very similar to a dandelion.

It's a acquired taste I dont care for, it's bitter I think. Very strong, in New Orleans they blend it with regular coffee and brew it up STRONG, did I mention its brewed strong? Often enjoyed with a Beignets with 10 lbs of powered sugar on top and it dosnt matter if its 50* or 100* you will see the tourist at cafe du monde lapping it up.

Quite right. Chicory was used as a way to conserve the use of coffee and lower the cost. I'm not sure how far it goes back in history, but during war-time rationing, chicory blended coffee was way to get more for your $$ by extending the monthly ration allowance. People got used to the taste and there is now quite a following for this beverage -- myself included. Community Coffee, in all it's offerings, is a true New Orleans tradition and well worth a few bucks to try some of their choices. I prefer the French roast, Mocha, and Chicory blends - I make it strong and enjoy it both in the mornings and afternoons.

To make it extra strong and tasty, my wife takes the course ground blend out of the bag and grinds it to an extra fine powder using a small electric coffee grinder, then brews it up in a french press -- it's almost like a good Italian espresso, but Cajun style.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 09:32:32 AM by goodfellow »

Offline highland512

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »

it's almost like a good Italian espresso, but Cajun style.

True Cajun style is any Community Coffee 50/50 mixed with your choice of liquor.  :D :D

I knew they where drinkers down there but damn!! The last two projects I worked in La you took the breathalyzer before they made you take the drug test. :)) 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 07:30:28 PM »
The first construction company I worked for in the mid80s had two company trucks. Each one had a breathalyzer in them that someone had to blow into before the truck would start. At the time it didn't seem odd at all.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 08:21:40 PM »
Goodie , I cannot get that here on WA , any chance you could send me a pack? I`ll fix you up of course.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 09:59:54 PM »
Goodie , I cannot get that here on WA , any chance you could send me a pack? I`ll fix you up of course.

PM sent Jabber --

Offline highland512

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 07:20:32 AM »

Community has a very good online store, up until recently our house bought all of our coffee and tea off of the Community website.

https://www.communitycoffee.com/

Offline walrus

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »
Circle K has those machines also, makes a good cup o coffee