Author Topic: Get any tools for Christmas ?  (Read 11423 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Get any tools for Christmas ?
« on: December 25, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
Merry Christmas everyone.

Did you get any tools, and are they good or " dads gonna love this super 9000 all in one wrench " sort of stuff ?

I got a set of Stahlwart router bits ( pretty sure a cheapo brand I've heard of before ) that I'll use without complaint , a pair of magnetic wrist bands which I think might actually be a handy screw nail and bit holder.
And I also got a pair of the LED light " glove like thingies " which which I will give an honest try, they seem kind of cheesy and gimmicky but they could easily surprise me.

This is all from my grandmother.
 I got some tools I probably would never have bought myself ( the router bits maybe  ) but I also got another flannel shirt which I love that I actually looked at recently and almost bought.
So if i don't end up liking everything else I won't mind because I like the shirt.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 08:04:51 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

Re: Get any tools for Christmas ?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
Merry Christmas!

I got a few things, but this is the best. Proto 18545 pocket knife. My dad had been going through his stash he keeps in his bedroom a couple months ago, and showed this to me. He said he remembered buying it, but not when. he paid cash and doesn't have a receipt. It would have to be 1984 or newer considering the sheath. Closed 5", open 8-3/4".

He's just had it tucked away in his safe, looks unused. He said I drooled over it so much, he thought it would make a great surprise gift. It did!!! Looks a lot like a Buck knife, but there are some differences, like the bevel around the scales on this Proto.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 09:29:40 PM by Davethorik »

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 09:34:45 PM »
I should add, i did buy tools as gifts. I bought my mom a Japanese hori hori gardening knife/trowel.

My dad got a 130 lb. 6" jaw fixed base Yost #106 bench vise, and a Stanley Rule & Level clamp-on 2-1/2" jaw vise.

My BIL got the HF Daytona 4 ton floor jack in orange. It seems like a nice jack, but it weighs like 109 lbs or something ridiculous.
Edit: also found him a nice used Cornwell SR70 long 1/2 rat at the flea, cleaned it and green permatex. Suuuuuper slick now.

My sister got an Olfa made in Japan cutting mat for hobbies. Also an Olfa quilting rule.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 11:02:05 PM by Davethorik »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 12:37:06 AM »
Merry Christmas!

I got a few things, but this is the best. Proto 18545 pocket knife. My dad had been going through his stash he keeps in his bedroom a couple months ago, and showed this to me. He said he remembered buying it, but not when. he paid cash and doesn't have a receipt. It would have to be 1984 or newer considering the sheath. Closed 5", open 8-3/4".

He's just had it tucked away in his safe, looks unused. He said I drooled over it so much, he thought it would make a great surprise gift. It did!!! Looks a lot like a Buck knife, but there are some differences, like the bevel around the scales on this Proto.
I'd say it's a Utica Kutmaster.

Certainly it can't compare to a Buck 110, but still looks like a great knife with a lot going for it and it's got some sentimental value to it.
The Proto branding is cool as well for a tool guy, one of the appeals to the Sears / Craftsman knives made by Schrade and Camillus.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:40:12 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rural53

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »
Swiss Peak 10W CREE LED torch.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »
I hear those CREE flashlights are the bomb!  8)

I got a Galaxy Quest T-shirt (printing says, "Never give up, never surrender!") Love that movie. And my SIL bought me a copy of Wonder Woman.  Kinda curious what they'll do to better that movie with next years "WW 1984".

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 09:25:05 PM »
My son bought me a 168 piece Dewalt mechanics tool set. I have yet to replace the majority of the tools that were stolen from me almost 2 years ago so I really need tools. Unfortunately, half the tools in this set will never be use either because they’re SAE, and almost everything I would need to turn wrenches on is metric, or it’s just stuff I have no need for. If I’m going to use a Phillips driver bit, I’ll get one with a long shank and put it in the chuck of my drill. If I need one in a driver, I want a dedicated driver.

Anyway, I’ve discussed it with my son and he agreed it would be more cost effective to return this set and buy the specific sockets, extensions, and wrenches I need. I’ll end up with everything from that set I’d actually use plus a few more tools the set didn’t include.

My niece also bought me a cordless drill. It’s a cheap brand from Walmart but at least someone gave me tools.

My sister-in-law gave me a HF circular saw blade sharpener. I’ve been wanting to try one out. I’ve got a regular source for free blades so we’re gonna see if this thing will give a second life to some of these blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:37:35 PM by m_fumich »

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 10:26:29 PM »
No tools for presents.  But the week before bought a Craftsman dado saw blade kit,and a nice little jp daniels 4 inch adjustable wrench.   These purchased at the Habitat store.  Was digging through a box of excess here and discovered a set of pliers that were a 2012 Christmas present from my mother.  That was her last Christmas, they have been placed in my snap on box.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:15:54 AM by john k »

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 05:23:02 PM »

I'd say it's a Utica Kutmaster.

Certainly it can't compare to a Buck 110, but still looks like a great knife with a lot going for it and it's got some sentimental value to it.
The Proto branding is cool as well for a tool guy, one of the appeals to the Sears / Craftsman knives made by Schrade and Camillus.

Thanks for the info, I have a Buck and this looked similar. Still very cool.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 08:35:07 PM »
My son bought me a 168 piece Dewalt mechanics tool set. I have yet to replace the majority of the tools that were stolen from me almost 2 years ago so I really need tools. Unfortunately, half the tools in this set will never be use either because their SAE and almost everything I would need to turn wrenches on is metric or it’s just stuff I have no need for. If I’m going to use a Phillips driver bit, I’ll get one with a long shank and put it in the chuck of my drill. If I need one in a driver, I want a dedicated driver.

Anyway, I’ve discussed it with my son and he agreed it would be more cost effective to return this set and buy the specific sockets, extensions, and wrenches I need. I’ll end up with everything from that set I’d actually use plus a few more tools the set didn’t include.

let me get this straight. you have not had tools for 2 years.  your son buys you a nice set of basic tools that will cover most things. you tell him you don't like it and you want less tools  rather than more tools. you convince him to return it so you can get less things and be less prepared.

if i was in your position, i would be thankful and proud that my son was thoughtful and considerate  enough to buy me such a nice gift and use it proudly whenever i could. since i am not in your position i can only tell you what my sons would think. what an ingrateful, inconsiderate thing to post a picture of a gift that they had given me on a public forum and then complain about how it wasn't what you wanted and that they should return it. that sir is a selfish dick move and i wouldn't be one bit surprised if my son told me what an ass i was being. matter of fact if they didn't i would know that i had failed as a parent.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:37:10 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 09:33:29 PM »
Still gotta get a picture, but those led glove thingies seem a bit better now that I actually figured out how to properly put them on. Still a silly gimmick but may actually prove useful ,  especially when put on properly.
And those magnet wrist bands i really think will be useful, but it's pointless to wear one on each wrist and I don't really need two.
Luckily I figured out I can wrap one around my soda and stick it to my toolbox so it doesn't get knocked over.
Now that's a useful thing right there  ;D
Always lookin' to learn

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 06:41:19 AM »

let me get this straight. you have not had tools for 2 years.  your son buys you a nice set of basic tools that will cover most things. you tell him you don't like it and you want less tools  rather than more tools. you convince him to return it so you can get less things and be less prepared.

No, I told him I liked the set very much. I pointed out that half the tools were ones I’d rarely use and that for the same money, I could get all the tools in that set I do need and many more by buying “a la cart.” He is completely agreeable to that. I have replaced some of my tools and not all my tools were stolen. My father and brother have given me a lot of SAE tools should I ever need them. I’ve yet to use any. So of those 168 pieces in the Dewalt set, only 40 pieces are ones I needed and didn’t have. He and I will select many more pieces I actually need but don’t have. I have to pull the engine from my truck and I’ll be more equipped to do so with the new selection of tools.

BTW, I’m also returning the drill to Walmart that my niece gave me. I already have a Cobalt cordless drill that my father gave me sometime last year. I’ll use the money from the Walmart drill to buy something I actually need.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:54:02 AM by m_fumich »

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 07:00:35 AM »

you tell him you don't like it and you want less tools  rather than more tools. you convince him to return it so you can get less things and be less prepared.

Where in my post did I say this? NOWHERE. If you don’t like how I relate to my son, you can fuck off and kiss the hairiest part of my ass. If you don’t know where that is, I’ll draw you a map.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 09:10:27 AM »
The yellow snap-pack drill bit holder in the middle of that set are the greatest loose tools and parts containers ever! I snag 'em whenever I see 'em, and cram them full of electrical connectors, wirenuts, individual sockets, whatever. If you drop them they don't break or pop open, and being nice and compact fit easily in the tool box. I think I'm up to 4 or 5 now.  :)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 09:29:54 AM »
4 or 5? way too many. i would seriously think of returning them as that is too many.

now used dull  saw blades? you can never have too many of them.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 01:33:05 PM »

Where in my post did I say this? NOWHERE. If you don’t like how I relate to my son, you can fuck off and kiss the hairiest part of my ass. If you don’t know where that is, I’ll draw you a map.

You need to read your own posts - you have whined many times about sets of wrenches and sockets having sizes you don't think you need. That is exactly what unprepared is.

You are lucky as there is no posted policy about profane attacks and crude behavior or I would have banned you for that comment quoted above. This is supposed to be a family friendly forum not a kennel. Since you chose to loose your temper publicly I will respond publicly. To eliminate the technicality that saves you you are on notice another instance of that and you will be banned. The user agreement will be updated to include the use of threats, profane attacks on other members and to keep responses civil. We figured the membership was mature enough to know this and spelling those precepts out wasn't needed but apparently that is not the case.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 02:55:35 PM by J.A.F.E. »
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline walrus

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 06:24:29 PM »

You need to read your own posts - you have whined many times about sets of wrenches and sockets having sizes you don't think you need. That is exactly what unprepared is.

You are lucky as there is no posted policy about profane attacks and crude behavior or I would have banned you for that comment quoted above. This is supposed to be a family friendly forum not a kennel. Since you chose to loose your temper publicly I will respond publicly. To eliminate the technicality that saves you you are on notice another instance of that and you will be banned. The user agreement will be updated to include the use of threats, profane attacks on other members and to keep responses civil. We figured the membership was mature enough to know this and spelling those precepts out wasn't needed but apparently that is not the case.
It takes 2 to tango.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 06:57:31 PM »
The ignore feature is there for a reason. ;D

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 07:47:51 PM »
Where would I be without GG? Oh yeah. Living happily ever after.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 09:56:47 AM »
Apparently the rules don’t apply to everyone equally. Someone can call me an ass but I’m not permitted to respond in kind.

My son and I are going tool shopping either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 11:23:08 AM »

if i was in your position, i would be thankful and proud that my son was thoughtful and considerate  enough to buy me such a nice gift and use it proudly whenever i could. since i am not in your position i can only tell you what my sons would think. what an ingrateful, inconsiderate thing to post a picture of a gift that they had given me on a public forum and then complain about how it wasn't what you wanted and that they should return it. that sir is a selfish dick move and i wouldn't be one bit surprised if my son told me what an ass i was being. matter of fact if they didn't i would know that i had failed as a parent.
maybe you should read what i said. it says i am not in your position but  what my sons would think. my quote pretty clearly stated that it would  be "my" son calling me an "ass".

honestly it doesn't matter what you do as it will be one more thing that won't  be needed, won't get used, won't get finished and won't matter. maybe you should start a topic on it asking everyone what you should do. then tell everyone they are  wrong, that it doesn't have the correct parts or features and then not follow through or do it anyway.

i stand by my position. you posting a picture of tools given to you as a gift and then saying you are returning them because they don't meet your "standards" is low class. it is disrespectful to the giver. do that shit in private.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »

you tell him you don't like it and you want less tools  rather than more tools. you convince him to return it so you can get less things and be less prepared.

Apparently the rules don’t apply to everyone equally. Someone can call me an ass but I’m not permitted to respond in kind.

My son and I are going tool shopping either Tuesday or Wednesday.

rules you say? show me any site, especially the journal that would allow you to say that without an immediate temp or permaban?

you do know i can do that right? so can any other member on staff. did that happen? i think you are being given way more respect and tolerance than you deserve.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 01:23:31 PM »

now used dull  saw blades? you can never have too many of them.

:))
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
My youngest got me these, I already have most of them but I say those who die with the most tools wins.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 02:03:56 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

Offline walrus

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2019, 03:57:42 PM »

maybe you should read what i said. it says i am not in your position but  what my sons would think. my quote pretty clearly stated that it would  be "my" son calling me an "ass".

honestly it doesn't matter what you do as it will be one more thing that won't  be needed, won't get used, won't get finished and won't matter. maybe you should start a topic on it asking everyone what you should do. then tell everyone they are  wrong, that it doesn't have the correct parts or features and then not follow through or do it anyway.

i stand by my position. you posting a picture of tools given to you as a gift and then saying you are returning them because they don't meet your "standards" is low class. it is disrespectful to the giver. do that shit in private.
Or you could have said nothing.

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »

Or you could have said nothing.
I find myself agreeing with Harlan . If i bought something for my dad and he told me he didn't want it I'd feel hurt . the holidays ain't about what you get it's About family and letting ppl know you thought of them..

My parents bought me a set of husky metric deep impacts 1/2drive for Christmas I had just bought a kobalt set a month ago. I wasn't rude and told them I already had a set I just smiled and thanked them.they got put in bottom drawer of my toolbox they'll be there till I need them

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
I find myself agreeing with Harlan . If i bought something for my dad and he told me he didn't want it I'd feel hurt . the holidays ain't about what you get it's About family and letting ppl know you thought of them..

I don’t know what post you were reading. At no point did I tell my son I didn’t want the tools. But I suppose my family buys gifts differently than others. When we buy gifts for each other, we know we may not be getting them the exact thing they want. We commonly include the gift receipt so they can exchange it if they want. My son wanted to get me tools and we are going shopping for tools. But he was able to put tools under the tree for me. We’ve never gone to purchase tools like this before so this will be something to remember. Hopefully he’ll learn a thing or two about choosing tools.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 07:33:21 PM »
Just had my oldest son order this 1/2 impact with the gift card he gave me. Hope it has enough power.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 07:34:59 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2019, 07:38:10 PM »
That’s a nice one.

Offline 34Ply

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »
Years ago I bought my son a set of Craftsman 1/2 drive sockets for Christmas.  He opened them and said he bought a set recently and it was something he didn't need.  I wasn't hurt noir did I think him a dick for doing it. I told him I'd keep the sockets and give him the cost to get what he wants.  We went shopping as a family the next day to take advantage of the sales and he got what he wanted. Everybody's family dynamics are different.  Live and let live, if you don't like a post just keep going to the next one.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2019, 09:55:49 AM »
What a soap opera, quick call Dr Phill or even better Opra.  Hurt feelings, cause someone do not fall down over a gift given ?

Putting / hiding a gift that is not needed, what makes that a better option?  Misleading or lieing to that all important family. sounds like a line of crap?

pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2019, 06:26:24 PM »
What a soap opera, quick call Dr Phill or even better Opra.  Hurt feelings, cause someone do not fall down over a gift given ?

Putting / hiding a gift that is not needed, what makes that a better option?  Misleading or lieing to that all important family. sounds like a line of crap?

pep
Sometimes you gotta just except a gift with a smile knowing it's the thought that counts, but other times it is best to explain the situation and all.
Just depends, and there's no right or wrong to the gift giving process.
Personally I'd like to know if I didn't get it right so I can next year, I want to give the best most appropriate gift after all.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »
If you don’t like how I relate to my son, you can fuck off and kiss the hairiest part of my ass.

Now that is just chock full of holiday charm and spirit.

Offline walrus

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2019, 04:40:34 AM »
that sir is a selfish dick move and i wouldn't be one bit surprised if my son told me what an ass i was being. matter of fact if they didn't i would know that i had failed as a parent.

First sk said he was a selfish dick and then impiled he failed as a parent. I guess those comments are full of Christmas cheer. The Mods on here might want to read what started this BS. Oh yeah, a Mod started it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:42:20 AM by walrus »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »
To get this thread back on track.....
I went to Home Depot this morning as they finally got my present from the wife in. It is a Makita battery set consisting of two 4.0Ah batteries along with a rapid charger and bag. The great thing about this offer was the free bonus tool and I got the 6-1/2" circular saw for free which costs $159. I had been wanting one since it will be easier than dragging out an extension cord and the Skilsaw just to cut 1 piece of wood. Since one of my batteries had died this gives me 3 batteries for 3 tools and no more swapping a single battery between tools.
She also bought me a new welding helmet.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2019, 04:18:56 PM »
Not too bad of a wait. Late Christmas presents are better than none!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2019, 07:22:39 PM »
Santa brought me a topside creeper. ;D ;D its been in the Amazon cart several months. :D

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »
Nice gift on the Makita.  I have 2 Makita tools and like then.

Slipknot, you will love the topsider

Offline muddy

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »
I got a 1/2 Craftsman cordless impact. And a Detail da buffer

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2020, 11:21:26 PM »

Don't know how they are know, but I had a 20 year old Makita drill with original Japanese battery that just wouldn't quit.
The switch eventually went and it was stuck in reverse but it still worked.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »
Santa brought me a topside creeper. ;D ;D its been in the Amazon cart several months. :D
Let us know how you like it, I have one sitting on my wish list along with 8ea 6.0 powerstroke injectors   :o

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2020, 10:30:34 AM »

Don't know how they are know, but I had a 20 year old Makita drill with original Japanese battery that just wouldn't quit.
The switch eventually went and it was stuck in reverse but it still worked.

I had a 9.6 volt Makita drill with the stick battery for years. Loved it. Eventually went back to corded and gave away the Makita. Most folks dismiss those old 9.6 v models as underpowered or obsolete, which is fine with me because they can then be had cheap. I found another pair of them about a year later. Over the past year I found 4 batteries, a charger, and a case for maybe $25 total. Now I'm back in the old Makita drill game. 8)