Author Topic: The anything goes bike thread, parts or rides its all good.  (Read 10773 times)

Offline strik9

• X
The anything goes bike thread, parts or rides its all good.
« on: September 11, 2020, 10:57:15 PM »
Just a catch all thread for bicycles.  Got a question or just want to show off?

Put it here, we'll cheer you on and try to give good answers.

Offline strik9

• X
Re: The anything goes bike thread, parts or rides its all good.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:07:46 PM »
Two local bike shops let me raid their junk piles.  I buy a lot of new parts too so it must work out.

I rebuild coaster brakes and make my wheels on them.  Other bling parts occasionally get tossed off too anf I am first to find a lot of them.  Disc brakes and alloy are piling up for my next build.

Clean them up and replace bad bearings, it like dirt cheap new parts.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 11:15:50 PM »
A front disc brake project in the works.  All the individual parts came from different other parts down to the spokes and hub.  I have to decide which of three calipers go on it and make the bracket to hold it.

On this only the tire is new.  Even the tube is reused and patched.

After its made if I find a frame I like there will be a front fork and disc brake assembly ready for it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 11:36:27 PM »
I went ahead and ordered the white wall tires for my folding bike.
The originals are serviceable but on their last legs and don't think they'll last much longer.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 11:43:51 PM »
Probably quite smart if you plan on putting miles on it.  I don't run crap tires on my work transport.  Bheind the front brake they are the 2nd biggest price parts.
( its a really low budget build )

The kids tandem got the best possible rear handlebars finally and a paint retouch on some crappy looking parts.  Its a solid reliable ride, if it looks a bit odd. 
The kids enjoy it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 05:34:59 PM »
Gotta have some tunes while I'm crusin'   :035: :682:
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
Maybe it was time to check the noisy bottom bracket?

The bearings are slightly damaged.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:23:38 PM by strik9 »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 12:56:45 PM »
Those should buff out....

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 03:37:03 PM »
They went in used, mixing and matching the best parts I had at the time.  This time around I have a sealed unit from a box lot of used parts from a bike shop.  So the tandem has sealed in front and standard for the stoker, which there never seems to be one.  Those still run quiet and smooth. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »
Put a better seat on the Dahon.

Says Schwinn on it, but I don't really care.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 07:38:00 PM »
So many worry about tire size or if a 11 speed cassette will make it better than an 8 speed.

What matters is a comfortable seat.  If it hurts to ride  you won't enjoy it.

No matter carbon fiber frame or an old Huffy.  Get a comfortable butt pad and fix the rest later.

All mine have big, wide sprung cruiser seats.  Heavy units compared to racing saddles but comfortable. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 08:12:40 PM »
So many worry about tire size or if a 11 speed cassette will make it better than an 8 speed.

What matters is a comfortable seat.  If it hurts to ride  you won't enjoy it.

No matter carbon fiber frame or an old Huffy.  Get a comfortable butt pad and fix the rest later.

All mine have big, wide sprung cruiser seats.  Heavy units compared to racing saddles but comfortable.
Years ago I saw this huge one in a magazine that was basically a seperate seat for each cheek and I just knew that no matter how dumb it looked it would have been so damn comfortable, I think it was made for older folks or something.

I have a big extra wide seat on my cruiser that I quite like.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
Hickory, you'll want to rotate that upper seat clamp around 180d. The split in the seat tubing should line up with the split in the clamp for more effective clamping power.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 04:27:01 PM »
Yeah, lots of folks think the lightest frame and the most expensive parts make a great bike. In truth, the best wheelset you can afford and a silicone pad seat are the most important.

Also - with the demise of so many local bike shops - getting some good bike tools would be worth the money. For me, I grab all the freewheel remover tools I can get my hands on. NOS, used, whatever. Most new steeds are cassette driven, but you'd be surprised how many older freewheel bikes you'll come across. When things get tough, being able to remove freewheels for service or replacement is worth it's weight in gold!

Here's an older pic of what I had. It's prolly about double this now.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 04:40:05 PM »
I have the Chinese version of the Shimano spline freewheel socket.  One welded to a bar as a wrench and one as socket.
Its the only type I have found here, and one low end Shimano cassette hub, which I built a wheel on and sold.

I made my own chain whips to do cassette hubs and sold them years later for zero use.  Dude loves them but closed one small shop to work in a big shop now.

He had all the older Park tools already but missed on chain whips. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 08:55:25 PM by strik9 »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »
Hickory, you'll want to rotate that upper seat clamp around 180d. The split in the seat tubing should line up with the split in the clamp for more effective clamping power.
Thanks for the heads up.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 06:31:30 PM »
If I found a classic steel frame I would grab it in a heartbeat over any of the new aluminum frames coming out of China. Even Taiwan. Sure it'd weigh more than the AL frame but with a sweet quality set of wheels I'd bet you could just about make up the difference in total weight. And you'd have a lower rotational weight, which you'd be able to feel over the miles. Plus a steel fork - no aluminum or carbon.

I also prefer steel chain-rings as they last alot longer. Before my local bike salvage place moved (due to road construction) they were great for finding old parts. Now the good stuff is mostly gone.  :'(

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 06:50:14 PM »
Turns out this seat tube has a slit on both the front and the back, so it works just fine the way I had it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 06:55:12 PM »
If I found a classic steel frame I would grab it in a heartbeat over any of the new aluminum frames coming out of China. Even Taiwan. Sure it'd weigh more than the AL frame but with a sweet quality set of wheels I'd bet you could just about make up the difference in total weight. And you'd have a lower rotational weight, which you'd be able to feel over the miles. Plus a steel fork - no aluminum or carbon.

I also prefer steel chain-rings as they last alot longer. Before my local bike salvage place moved (due to road construction) they were great for finding old parts. Now the good stuff is mostly gone.  :'(

My favorite bike was a vintage 24" GT BMX I was given by a neighbor as a kid and that narrow tube diameter chromoly frame was nice and lightweight.
Someone stole it and I was so pissed.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 08:06:02 PM »
My bil and I recycle and use bikes with trailers to do the hauling.  So far not a real big thing but setting ip for retirement income with it.

All my puller bikes have cargo bike rims and a heavy steel rear rack.  Add a front basket and load it, hook up the trailer full of scrap, lay some crap on the rear rack and weight savings in the bike are null.
Payday at the buyer and run home empty, the money in the pocket being the weight.

Old cheap steel frames serve my needs best as they bend before they break.  I can weld on them and not reduce the value.

I usually get them from junk piles with rusted in seat posts, otherwise stripped. Most of the parts are bike shop toss offs.
They double as rides to work meanwhile, less than 100 dollars in the best one, most about 50 bucks in them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 08:56:43 PM by strik9 »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 09:50:26 PM »
For the past few weeks, I've been piddling with an Italian Scapin road bike, circa 1983. It had been rode hard, put up wet and whatever maintenance they did was wrong. It was a real mess. These are the alu bottom bracket ends, where someone had (my guess) picked up a couple of yards of bailing wire and wound it up around the crank or something, and kept on pedaling. Sheesh. I'm sure it was installed with a pair of Channelocks, or worse yet, a pipe wrench. All that has been polished out now (daring not to burnish deeper), and I have the correct install tool that engages with the notches for the reinstall.

I am moving on to other parts now. The whole thing was stripped down once I got it home, and the only saving grace is the powdercoat finish (which was waaaaaaay too thick). New decals are on their way from Europe. I'm looking forward to riding it, cause its just my size. Columbus tubing!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:31:04 PM by oldnslo »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 01:32:10 PM »
Vintage Dahon literature for your nighttime reading and story telling adventures. Fresh from the oldNslo archives.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 11:35:08 PM »
I present, my BITSA Peugeot PX10, as found and finished pics. Its former life was surely from someone that rode it seriously and appreciated it. The bike had been upgraded from all of its French component to Campagnolo or a nice equivalent like Shimano Crane (pre Dura Ace). Someone kept the Stronglight Depose crankset (very nice).  It sat on high end 27" Araya lightweight rims with dimpled spoke nipple reliefs and Campy high flange hubs, and is now on 700c rims, with a proper Brooks saddle. Gone are the crit bars forced onto a wrong size stem, and is now with Cinelli bars and a proper stem. The PX-10 was the upgrade bike with Reynolds 531 lighter weight tubing. The paint? Its been nicely patina’d from decades of sitting in the sun on the side of someones house, forlorn and forgotten. Why they painted over the chrome socks (fork and rear stay ends), is probably to hide the vintage chrome, which I much prefer over vintage bad patina'd paint.

I had many a Peugeot BITD, but those were all UO8 models (the common bike). Ahhh...the 'memries of youth.

;)

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 01:03:15 AM »
A classic line to it for sure. Looks great. And real Campy parts beat my knockoff Campy stickers.

I can't do road bikes as I live on dirt roads near home.  So the debate is 29" or fat bike for me.  I want a fun bike for crap roads. We already have two tandems nobody wants to be stoker on.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 06:56:12 PM »
I had that exact same Stronglight crank on my 10-speed fro years! Nice job!  :great:
It went well with my Campy pedals and Atom Compact freewheel.

What French parts did you remove? I have a soft spot for certain Huret parts so if you don't want them I'll buy them.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 08:47:19 PM »
No French parts were removed, but some were added back like the AVA stem. Some former owner (not the most recent prior owner) had made the French to Italian upgrade. I did however swap the Suntour Spirit FD for a Suntour SL FD, so I can run in the big chainring with the shift lever in the down position (pull for the small chainring). It's pretty much an aesthetic thing (both levers down) at my normal speed.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 05:59:03 PM »
Nuff said
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 09:23:11 PM »
I still need to change the French deraileurs on my SuperCourse for the Shimano mechs I have picked up over the years. But, here is another project bike

'70ish Schwinn Town and Country three wheeler. Built off of a 24" girls frame, it is going to be lightly modified (26" front wheel and fork) to give it a little rake and will become my swap meet bike. There are a couple really big ones out here, and this should give me good carrying capacity along with stylish looks!

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 09:55:42 PM »
Hick, whitewalls do it up right.  Get some chrome fenders on it now.  Weight be damned, stylin it is better.

I like the lines of those older girls frames, swooping tubes and couch like comfort.  Hard to duplicate the ride in modern frames.

I trailer before trike, its nice to have great big space only when needed.  Drop them off behind the house when not needed.

In my world the only freewheel I use stopped working halfway to work.  No clicky sounds and no go.
The derailleur was removed and chain cut for direct  to another questionable freewheel from my bucket o bits. 
Later to be replaced with a coaster brake if any 24" steel rims can be found.  Rather elusive locally, alu can be found but I need to haul 200 lbs behind it.  Plus my fat butt on the bike.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2020, 10:10:30 PM »
Here's a a pair that I stripped and flipped. Showing the pics online in the for sale ad of the tear-apart shows the new owner that the work was indeed done.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »
Here's a a pair that I stripped and flipped. Showing the pics online in the for sale ad of the tear-apart shows the new owner that the work was indeed done.
Very nice.
If you saw mine in person you'd see I just slapped some lipstick on a pig with those white walls,  but nobody but me is gonna see it up close but me  ;)
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 06:50:05 AM »
 Really great family lives across the street. Birthday present for the son, just cause I can.

Check out the down draft, open air paint booth, no overspray. A tool built for the 32 when it was painted, works very well.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 06:09:08 AM »
 :38:I'm sure the kid will love that bike.

Just wait, he'll wear the tires out in no time riding it so much.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »
I get all the junk coaster brake hubs I can then mix and match parts until I get a working unit.

A box with the remains of five of them became three usable units.  These are made up as a 26" cargo rim and another as a 24" alu rim for my mercurio.  I need rear brakes that do more than suggest a function.

These EVA come off cargo trikes and done right last a decade.  The new cheap ones out of Asia aren't quite as good, but I run two of those too.  They run looser, nearly wobbly compared.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2020, 09:50:26 AM »
 Painted wheel inspection
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:52:34 AM by pep »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2020, 04:06:17 PM »
The decals for the Scapin arrived today, and I did a little happy dance. That means the naked powercoated frame will begin to take life!

While waiting for those to arrive, I have been busy touching up some rough spots where damage occured, and digging out the excess powercoat from the embossed name on the rear stays. You can clearly see how the powercoat was put on very heavy, and when viewing the seatpost tube top, it just looks awful. I have since trimmed that up a bit with a Dremel, taking care to just crisp up the line, and not dig down to the underlying metal.

The comparison photo is from a local bike, where I was able to view and photograph the unmolested example. I'm striving for that appearance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:21:43 PM by oldnslo »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
Painted wheel inspection
Nice work.
Btw the Victorinox gardner is an excellent utility knife, I just about wore mine out.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »

[/quote]
Nice work.
Btw the Victorinox gardner is an excellent utility knife, I just about wore mine out.
[/quote]

Not familiar with it, but have what I need.  Frame done, once cured ready to be assemble.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »

Nice work.
[/quote]

Not familiar with it, but have what I need.  Frame done, once cured ready to be assemble.
[/quote]
That's the sheeps foot pocket knife you've got laying there next to the exacto knife.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »

Nice work.

[/quote]
That's the sheeps foot pocket knife you've got laying there next to the exacto knife.
[/quote]
^^^^
Crazy bit trivia right there , I like it

Assembled, time drags, as the bike gets the final QC..This guy makes a grown man sweat. Frigging nit picker that boy is . :021:

Passed, & waiting for the rider ....
 Fun projet
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:38:42 AM by pep »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »
Last time I rode my bike I noticed an occasional clunk while under load. Swapped out freewheels, and took apart the old freewheel to see if I could find any issues.
Using a tool I made I was able to remove the lock ring and disassemble the mechanism. Thought maybe the pawls were running off center so filed down the mating surface a bit to get a better fit. I expected that inner race carrier to be hard tool steel - but the file took off metal easily. My guess is this Sunrace freewheel is a budget special so probably won't be worth trying to fix. I've got my old vintage Sachs freewheel on the bike for now.

Geez everything is getting to the point where it's "not repairable - just buy new". :91:

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
Last time I rode my bike I noticed an occasional clunk while under load. Swapped out freewheels, and took apart the old freewheel to see if I could find any issues.
Using a tool I made I was able to remove the lock ring and disassemble the mechanism. Thought maybe the pawls were running off center so filed down the mating surface a bit to get a better fit. I expected that inner race carrier to be hard tool steel - but the file took off metal easily. My guess is this Sunrace freewheel is a budget special so probably won't be worth trying to fix. I've got my old vintage Sachs freewheel on the bike for now.

Geez everything is getting to the point where it's "not repairable - just buy new". :91:

A load of truth there, and unfortunately we only have ourselves to blame. A 2 fold problem, 1 lack of common sense. 2 no one wants to pay for quality .

The very next work after, I'm looking for anything and everything, is cheap ........... well its here and it don't last. So buy another, cheap or cheaper one and the cycle goes on & on

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2020, 04:55:10 PM »
Oh I know. My dad taught me that you get what you pay for - but I found out I sometimes you can't buy the best. So I made due with stuff until I could buy quality. Long time, biding my time. My philosophy the past 25 years has been buy middle of the road. Don't buy the cheapest, but then you can't afford the most expensive. So split the difference. That worked until about 8-10 years ago - when the middle tier of parts disappeared!

Yeah, I have been stocking up on every commodity I need that I can find. Bath fixtures, bike parts, nuts and bolts, gaskets, fuses, tools. I just don't want to be stuck with a broke appliance - or downed toilet - if things get tough.

And if tools get out of sight - I'll just call Phil!  :)) 

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »
Pep, the kiddy bike looks good.  That paint turned oyt sharp.

I went to coaster brakes on rebuilds to avoid crap freewheel and brake stuff.  But then I am dealing with 4th hand Walmart junk in disrepair.  Its cheap and doesn't go down in value.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »
I just got this home.  26" fat tire cruiser frame with fresh paint.  No bends or damages unlike the rest of the fleet.

This one should be an easy build.  Ten bucks wasn't bad.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2020, 08:41:18 PM »
Nice looking frame but I have to ask are those factory correct forks?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2020, 09:54:38 PM »
 :). Now its a kilo less weight and Italian!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »
Pep, the kiddy bike looks good.  That paint turned oyt sharp.

I went to coaster brakes on rebuilds to avoid crap freewheel and brake stuff. But then I am dealing with 4th hand Walmart junk in disrepair.  Its cheap and doesn't go down in value.

10-4 I did that earlier in my life and I think I might just go back to that idea. Try and find me a Bendix yellow band kick-back hub and build it up as a 26" wheel.  :great:

http://www.rideyourbike.com/bendixIGH.shtml

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2020, 11:35:01 PM »
If the spoke count comes to the same between hub and rim it can be any rim size.

I have even put a 36 hub on a 28 spoke rim  with success.  Its on a tandem and holds two adults well.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2020, 11:04:45 PM »
More grinding, filing, sanding, buffing on the brake levers for the Scapin. The former owner may have biffed on it, and the bars found their way on the asphalt. I had to use solvent to get the tar off, then took to the worst lever first.

I'd say it looks a tad bit better.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2020, 11:24:26 PM »
Wow, I haven't even seen parts like that in decades.    Much less in still usable condition.

That will be a true restoration, different than my efforts.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2020, 11:29:31 PM »
Nice job, oldnslo!  :great:

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »
Alu bars, steel cargo bike rims and one piece steel crank, all new bearings.

The wheels are all recycled parts,  the crank is new all the way.  It is supposed to be off road durable before lightweight.  Its getting there slowly.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2020, 03:13:02 PM »
More grinding, filing, sanding, buffing on the brake levers for the Scapin. The former owner may have biffed on it, and the bars found their way on the asphalt. I had to use solvent to get the tar off, then took to the worst lever first.

I'd say it looks a tad bit better.
Very cool looking.

Btw I haven't heard anyone use the term " biffed it " in probably a decade.
As a teenager me and my friend were riding our bikes when he biffed it and wound up with the handlebars penetrating 2" into his abdomen.
That's certainly a day I'll never forget and from this day forward I'll never ride a bike without solid grips on the handlebars with good end protection.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2020, 06:50:26 PM »
Got a little bit more on the drivetrain, ran out of parts right here.

Love the fat slicks on the rear for dirt roads.  Kenda Flama is a great sand tire.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2020, 11:40:33 AM »
Btw I haven't heard anyone use the term " biffed it " in probably a decade.

I'm here purely to keep the flame alive my friend.  ;)

As a teenager me and my friend were riding our bikes when he biffed it and wound up with the handlebars penetrating 2" into his abdomen.

We share that same exact experience. Except at the tender age of 6th or 7th grade, there were bikes (natch) and a hill involved, perhaps some cigars (we didnt know NOT to inhale), and then we pointed the front wheel down a very sketchy and steep path. A crash ensued, calls were made and a hospital trip occurred. My friend lost a kidney as result. I recall that so clearly, and have never smoked since.

Further crashes will occur as I matured, but I got smarter along the way.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »
And now with two tires and a seat.    The front disc brake is still an irritation at the bike shop.  But it rides now. 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »
Strik, that bike looks great

Offline muddy

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2020, 08:00:16 PM »
Strik, that bike looks great
Yep digging the red!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2020, 09:38:20 PM »
Thanks guys.  This one is my flagship of the fleet.

The only detail that bothers me a bit is one tire is red line and the other white.   But I can only get what they have.  At least both are black otherwise. 

Most ended up with one blue tire because that was what they had in slicks.  Lol!  Great long wearing tire but hey, why blue?
You guys talk of premiere brand stuff, I am happy to get black color slicks.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:05 PM »
The new Scapin (ie #2)  is making a run to be the twin to your flagship build there Strik. This model is a Gran Sport Special, with the chromovelato paint. Meaning, the bike is chromed, then thinly veiled with colored lacquer for the Christmas ornament type paint appearance.

This is the "as bought" photo, it's down to the frame now for some refurb work, and has already had its shakedown run. I've since sourced some replacement silver wheels to rid myself of the brown anodized finished rims (what were they thinking in the early 80's).  :c029:

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2020, 07:59:49 AM »
This week I said goodbye to my blue Cannondale (an extra ride) as I have the near twin to it in red. The difference besides color, is the component group (Ultegra vs DuraAce) and a few other items. Saeco sponsored a bike team riding Cannondales in the early 90's. Many of the team bikes BITD had the (feared) Spinergy carbon wheels, which are now considered unsafe. When they fail, its catastrophic.

https://pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/cipo-USwheels-1-620.jpg

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2021, 06:56:36 PM »
oldnslo,

With a name like yours, I'm having trouble picturing you on your latest & greatest Cannondale. 

Am I reading to much into your name or are you reliving your earlier speed exploits???????

Just saying...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2021, 11:53:50 PM »
OldnSlo for the collection of tractors that make up my passion. Those crawlers are old AND slow. The other passion is cycling, which I do 20 miles every day. I have a few more vintage bikes (the pedal kind), but also Harleys, however I do own modern pedal-based technology such as Ti (titanium) of which I have 2 in the bike fold.

Hope that helps.

Right now on the bike racks are a Specialized Allez (carbon/alu composite) getting new decals, a Mongoose Dolomite (fat tire) for a final adjustment, and a Schwinn Madison (single speed) for some frame paint touchups.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2021, 11:46:52 PM »
oldNSlo,

Thanks for the explanation.   Your username now makes a lot more sense  :clap:
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2021, 05:11:18 PM »
The Scapin is now done, and through 2 shakedown rides. Here's the changes compared to the above "as found" pic:

Black cable housing to white
Saddle from Turbo to Selle Italia
Rims from brown anodized (period correct, but not my style) to silver
Tires to Conti Gatorskins
Brake levers from DiaCompe (internal routing) to Campy (external and period correct)
Pedals from Campy to SPD-SL
Modern touches like lights (F&R), cyclometer and the tool kit

It rides great, and is fun to own.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2021, 08:29:11 PM »
ONS,

Nice work on the Scapin  :PDT_Armataz_01_37: