Author Topic: The anything goes bike thread, parts or rides its all good.  (Read 10777 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: The anything goes bike thread, parts or rides its all good.
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »
Here's a a pair that I stripped and flipped. Showing the pics online in the for sale ad of the tear-apart shows the new owner that the work was indeed done.
Very nice.
If you saw mine in person you'd see I just slapped some lipstick on a pig with those white walls,  but nobody but me is gonna see it up close but me  ;)
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 06:50:05 AM »
 Really great family lives across the street. Birthday present for the son, just cause I can.

Check out the down draft, open air paint booth, no overspray. A tool built for the 32 when it was painted, works very well.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 06:09:08 AM »
 :38:I'm sure the kid will love that bike.

Just wait, he'll wear the tires out in no time riding it so much.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »
I get all the junk coaster brake hubs I can then mix and match parts until I get a working unit.

A box with the remains of five of them became three usable units.  These are made up as a 26" cargo rim and another as a 24" alu rim for my mercurio.  I need rear brakes that do more than suggest a function.

These EVA come off cargo trikes and done right last a decade.  The new cheap ones out of Asia aren't quite as good, but I run two of those too.  They run looser, nearly wobbly compared.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2020, 09:50:26 AM »
 Painted wheel inspection
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:52:34 AM by pep »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2020, 04:06:17 PM »
The decals for the Scapin arrived today, and I did a little happy dance. That means the naked powercoated frame will begin to take life!

While waiting for those to arrive, I have been busy touching up some rough spots where damage occured, and digging out the excess powercoat from the embossed name on the rear stays. You can clearly see how the powercoat was put on very heavy, and when viewing the seatpost tube top, it just looks awful. I have since trimmed that up a bit with a Dremel, taking care to just crisp up the line, and not dig down to the underlying metal.

The comparison photo is from a local bike, where I was able to view and photograph the unmolested example. I'm striving for that appearance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:21:43 PM by oldnslo »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
Painted wheel inspection
Nice work.
Btw the Victorinox gardner is an excellent utility knife, I just about wore mine out.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »

[/quote]
Nice work.
Btw the Victorinox gardner is an excellent utility knife, I just about wore mine out.
[/quote]

Not familiar with it, but have what I need.  Frame done, once cured ready to be assemble.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »

Nice work.
[/quote]

Not familiar with it, but have what I need.  Frame done, once cured ready to be assemble.
[/quote]
That's the sheeps foot pocket knife you've got laying there next to the exacto knife.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »

Nice work.

[/quote]
That's the sheeps foot pocket knife you've got laying there next to the exacto knife.
[/quote]
^^^^
Crazy bit trivia right there , I like it

Assembled, time drags, as the bike gets the final QC..This guy makes a grown man sweat. Frigging nit picker that boy is . :021:

Passed, & waiting for the rider ....
 Fun projet
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:38:42 AM by pep »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »
Last time I rode my bike I noticed an occasional clunk while under load. Swapped out freewheels, and took apart the old freewheel to see if I could find any issues.
Using a tool I made I was able to remove the lock ring and disassemble the mechanism. Thought maybe the pawls were running off center so filed down the mating surface a bit to get a better fit. I expected that inner race carrier to be hard tool steel - but the file took off metal easily. My guess is this Sunrace freewheel is a budget special so probably won't be worth trying to fix. I've got my old vintage Sachs freewheel on the bike for now.

Geez everything is getting to the point where it's "not repairable - just buy new". :91:

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
Last time I rode my bike I noticed an occasional clunk while under load. Swapped out freewheels, and took apart the old freewheel to see if I could find any issues.
Using a tool I made I was able to remove the lock ring and disassemble the mechanism. Thought maybe the pawls were running off center so filed down the mating surface a bit to get a better fit. I expected that inner race carrier to be hard tool steel - but the file took off metal easily. My guess is this Sunrace freewheel is a budget special so probably won't be worth trying to fix. I've got my old vintage Sachs freewheel on the bike for now.

Geez everything is getting to the point where it's "not repairable - just buy new". :91:

A load of truth there, and unfortunately we only have ourselves to blame. A 2 fold problem, 1 lack of common sense. 2 no one wants to pay for quality .

The very next work after, I'm looking for anything and everything, is cheap ........... well its here and it don't last. So buy another, cheap or cheaper one and the cycle goes on & on

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2020, 04:55:10 PM »
Oh I know. My dad taught me that you get what you pay for - but I found out I sometimes you can't buy the best. So I made due with stuff until I could buy quality. Long time, biding my time. My philosophy the past 25 years has been buy middle of the road. Don't buy the cheapest, but then you can't afford the most expensive. So split the difference. That worked until about 8-10 years ago - when the middle tier of parts disappeared!

Yeah, I have been stocking up on every commodity I need that I can find. Bath fixtures, bike parts, nuts and bolts, gaskets, fuses, tools. I just don't want to be stuck with a broke appliance - or downed toilet - if things get tough.

And if tools get out of sight - I'll just call Phil!  :)) 

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »
Pep, the kiddy bike looks good.  That paint turned oyt sharp.

I went to coaster brakes on rebuilds to avoid crap freewheel and brake stuff.  But then I am dealing with 4th hand Walmart junk in disrepair.  Its cheap and doesn't go down in value.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »
I just got this home.  26" fat tire cruiser frame with fresh paint.  No bends or damages unlike the rest of the fleet.

This one should be an easy build.  Ten bucks wasn't bad.