Author Topic: " just buy a new one "  (Read 2495 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

" just buy a new one "
« on: September 30, 2020, 11:05:31 AM »
How often do you hear this when you mention repairing or rebuilding something to a coworker,  acquaintance, family member...ect ?

The other day I mentioned the old Fenwick spinning rod I'm I'm rehandling to a friend and I heard it " why not just toss it and buy a new one , that's what I would do " . :34:
So I told them " me too if I didn't know how to fix things "  :85:
And explained that it's one of my favorite rods, and that when I'm done I'll have a really nice rod for $30 that probably would have cost a minimum of $75 to buy.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: " just buy a new one "
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 11:27:00 AM »
It's always a trade off between time, skill, and funds. Good fishing equipment is expensive; even in my dad's day. Hence, he always fixed it himself. That said many folks these days don't have the skills anymore. Shop classes in school are no longer a priority, and cheap imports make the replacement/upgrade cycle quite attractive. The younger generation doesn't care much about country of origin anymore, and mostly buy on price alone.

That is a very different value proposition than what was common in my day, or in previous generations for that matter. Globalization has made it easier/cheaper to upgrade or replace rather than getting something fixed or mended.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
Some things are worth it.  Many things just aren't.

I must have recycled two dozen phones by now and it doesn't bother me.  Metal crap I sometimes try to save., if it still has a use....

If not scrapping it pays me some money to get what today demands. 
Go with the flow of life.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 09:41:49 AM »
Some things are worth it.  Many things just aren't.

I must have recycled two dozen phones by now and it doesn't bother me.  Metal crap I sometimes try to save., if it still has a use....

If not scrapping it pays me some money to get what today demands. 
Go with the flow of life.

Big 10-4

It gets old arguing with parts counter people and customers about parts and repairing things rather than buy new. The culture today has changed. I repair what I can but I'm not gonna waste my breath anymore trying to get people to fix stuff. Life is just too short.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 06:56:01 PM »
This actually began  years ago. Once I had a fuel pump on an old Chevy truck go bad. It just needed a new diaphragm , but the parts guys all said I couldn't buy one, and they would sell me a Rebuilt ! Where did rebuilders get diaphragms
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 07:01:40 PM »
I had an alternator start making noise years ago. I didn't have the money for a new one so I decided to take the noisy one apart. I found a bad bearing and I think I spent less than 2 bucks for the new bearing and it lasted as long as the car did.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 07:27:40 PM »
Years ago, when I was in my mid 20's I needed a new car and I didn't have much money at the time. I found a used '79 Honda for a few hundred bucks, but it needed a carb rebuild. No problem, I have done that before. Well...

It was a sealed carb. No rebuild kit available. That alone told me Hondas worn't worth the time or money.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 07:48:10 PM »
 Recently my wife's walker had a bad wheel bearing. Supplier wanted to either sell me a new wheel, or a new walker. Of course I took it apart and found a bearing had come apart. Since bearings and seals are usually identified with universal size markings, I was able to see which one I needed. Fastenal sold me some and I fixed the walker. Later, I found that that bearing is the one most often used in skateboard wheels, so if the grandkids need some, I have them covered.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 09:24:21 PM »
Recently my wife's walker had a bad wheel bearing. Supplier wanted to either sell me a new wheel, or a new walker. Of course I took it apart and found a bearing had come apart. Since bearings and seals are usually identified with universal size markings, I was able to see which one I needed. Fastenal sold me some and I fixed the walker. Later, I found that that bearing is the one most often used in skateboard wheels, so if the grandkids need some, I have them covered.

Good going Noel!! Great story --

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 09:36:56 PM »
I used to buy broken rollerblades to strip out the wheels and bearings.  Same as skateboard crap but the wheels fit casters and such.
In fact one of the shop creepers had some installed a decade back. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 03:20:13 PM »
Hopefully they're not too serious into skateboarding,  otherwise they'll probably turn their nose up at these bearings.
My brother was into it quite a bit and if I remember correctly you weren't cool unless your bearings were bones super reds or Lucky ABEC 7 bearings.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »
I had abec 5 in my blades and they were good.  But not great.

The supply house bearings are industrial spec stuff and not low bidder kiddy skateboard junk.
I have changed a lot of bearings in stuff here.  All were a lot more precise than the 5 grade.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 05:37:31 PM »
I had abec 5 in my blades and they were good.  But not great.

The supply house bearings are industrial spec stuff and not low bidder kiddy skateboard junk.
I have changed a lot of bearings in stuff here.  All were a lot more precise than the 5 grade.
I'm sure they are absolutely better quality bearings , but kids don't know.
They just know that Bones super reds are the #1 brand at the skate shop and that's what you buy if you're a real skater.
Always lookin' to learn