Author Topic: ...and so it begins!  (Read 11723 times)

Offline muddy

Re: ...and so it begins!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 08:34:44 PM »
Great news ray! Even if it's not the size you want it'll be a big change from your shop now.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 06:59:46 PM »
Haven't reported back on this since there wasn't much to report. Long story short; the original concrete and block laying contractor kept pushing his timeline back and made a lot of promises, but he never delivered. Business is just too good these days and a lot of these guys are making money head over heels and they make a lot of promises that they just can't keep. So my builder dropped this guy (btw -- it's a company that he's been dealing with for several years and had a good relationship with), and contracted with a new company that delivered the goods.

Footers and walls are in .. pad work begins later on this week, and the framing starts next week. I'm happy -- this may be done by end of August.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 07:02:44 PM »
Great news ray! Even if it's not the size you want it'll be a big change from your shop now.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

yes Tim -- 28'x36' is like "heaven" when compared to what I was working out of before. Add to that the fact that the one bay on the far right will have high ceilings for a full-sized lift, and it makes my heart flutter -- LOL

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 09:28:26 PM »
Glad it finally got started and hope it is done and you're in before winter.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 10:21:28 PM »
Nice, I built mine with the intent of installing a lift but it didn't work out. Not enough room.  Now I'm considering bumping out the back another 25 foot. Shops already bigger than the house. :lol_hitting:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 07:26:10 AM »
Shops already bigger than the house. :lol_hitting:

As it should be :))

Ray, glad its progressing.  Can't wait for the inaugural open house.  Real sure Muddy and crew will come too and K5 too

Long term buddy of mine built a new house and shop, all real nice with him doing a lot of the work as they aren't big money folks.  Wife said shop could not be bigger then the house :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 07:52:04 AM »
Yes - it’s high time we start the GTGs again Phil, and I’ll be glad to host one after all is said and done. This garage will have a few limitations - but I plan to install a 4 post lift to make it possible to stack my cars in the high ceiling side.

The builder also mentioned that if need be I can game the HOA by bumping out with a wood floor addition - ie, non-permanent as far as the building code is concerned. I built my machine shop at the old place like that in order to get past the county restrictions. Wood floor on block footers is considered temporary.

Right now I just want a dry space so that I can move my equipment down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 08:11:44 AM »

I didn't know a house could be bigger than a shop :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
...and so it begins!
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »

I didn't know a house could be bigger than a shop :))
So true! My friend in Florida built a 5500 sq.ft garage (steel building) two years ago. Next year he’s adding another 2500 sq.ft to the back. He wanted a separate wood shop to keep the woodworking dust and mess confined in its own space.

Doesn’t matter how big it is - it’ll quickly fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 09:25:15 AM »
Why even build a house? Just add a cot, a bathroom, and a kitchen and live in the shop! :lol_hitting:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 09:58:47 AM »
Why even build a house? Just add a cot, a bathroom, and a kitchen and live in the shop! :lol_hitting:

Been there done that. The good news is no commute. The bad news is that when you wake up you are at work before the 1st cup of coffee. :coffee2:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 06:59:20 PM »

There was a TV show; Vegas, The dude drove into his living room. Thats always intrigued me. One of these days I'm gonna make that happen.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2021, 08:27:17 PM »

There was a TV show; Vegas, The dude drove into his living room. Thats always intrigued me. One of these days I'm gonna make that happen.

Drink enough adult beverages and it can happen.   :D
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2021, 08:35:46 PM »
  :)). So far I’ve avoided that.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
This was an exciting day -- last week the concrete and foundation work was finished, and this week the framing started. I must say that I'm impressed with how fast this has gone up.

Amazing -- should have the roof on by this weekend.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]