Author Topic: "The Bandit" passed away today -- RIP Burt  (Read 6765 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
"The Bandit" passed away today -- RIP Burt
« on: September 06, 2018, 03:41:22 PM »
He was 82, walked with a cane and was in ill health, but it's sad to lose such a great guy. No-one ever could accuse Burt Reynold of going "Hollywood". He was a straight shooter and a marvelous actor.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: "The Bandit" passed away today -- RIP Burt
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 03:50:29 PM »
He actually was pretty Hollywood even though he didn't live here but still a good guy. My wife thinks he always regretted letting Sally Fields get away. A shame to loose him.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »
 RIP Burt-
"My movies were the kind they show in prisons and airplanes, because nobody can leave."
Burt Reynolds
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 07:20:31 PM »
His laugh will never be forgotten!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »
Kinda sad to see these old guys as they age out. Last time I saw a pic of ol Burt he looked like a washed up lounge lizard.

He sure sold a ton of crappy Pontiacs tho.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 08:29:09 PM »
He was a really good actor and I almost always enjoyed his roles. He is one of the last of the good actors the modern one mostly couldn't get by without stupid pointless stunts and CGI.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 06:43:46 PM »
Yes sad to see him pass, but 82 was a good run.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
My childhood was mid 1970's to mid 1980's during his prime years. Sad to see an icon from it pass away and makes one feel old themselves.

His last 5 years have note bode well for him and he was almost broke with divorce settlements and bad money management. I know the last year or so, he sold off quite a bit of his memorabilia that brought his a good chunk of change. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »
The longest yard and Deliverance were some of his very best work to me. They re made the longest yard a few years ago so rented both the remake and the original and watched them back to back. I enjoyed both, but the original was the better of the two.

Of course You had to enjoy the Bandit series, for my money the original was the best of those too. Jackie Gleason was off the hook funny too. Though some had no appreciation for Jerry Reed I thoroughly enjoyed him in those movies too, almost more than Burt!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
His movies were money makers for quite some time, but like with most things in movie life, he got typecast and he got stuck in making the same movies over and over again. In the end he got used to making big cash from over-used movie plots and themes -- and the audience eventually got tired of it.

None-the-less during his heyday, he made some classic films, and that's what we remember him for.

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 07:39:59 AM »
The longest yard and Deliverance were some of his very best work to me. They re made the longest yard a few years ago so rented both the remake and the original and watched them back to back. I enjoyed both, but the original was the better of the two.

Of course You had to enjoy the Bandit series, for my money the original was the best of those too. Jackie Gleason was off the hook funny too. Though some had no appreciation for Jerry Reed I thoroughly enjoyed him in those movies too, almost more than Burt!

Jerry Reed made Smokey and the Bandit the great movies that they are. I always felt Jerry Reed was a very under rated crossover actor, his performance in The Waterboy was great.

Burt was a mans man when it came to acting, he will be missed in my house. I was really looking forward to his upcoming role in the new Tarantino film.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »
"For the money, for the glory, and for the fun"

Bo "the Bandit" Darville as portrayed by Burt Reynolds in 1977's Smokey and the Bandit.

[On why he's going to make the run to Texas and back]

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 12:12:31 AM »

Jerry Reed made Smokey and the Bandit the great movies that they are. I always felt Jerry Reed was a very under rated crossover actor, his performance in The Waterboy was great.

Burt was a mans man when it came to acting, he will be missed in my house. I was really looking forward to his upcoming role in the new Tarantino film.

Yeah, I wonder who's going to replace him in Quentin's movie? I'm interested in it, but when I heard Lena Dunham was gonna be in it... ???
boop/bop/beep