Author Topic: Any cigar smokers on the GG?  (Read 143724 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #285 on: August 26, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »
Glad to see the O-Fest beer is available. Have to hit the local market to try and get some. Hope it was a good cigar Tim.
It was good, a little heavy I had to eat some ice cream to keep the nicotine buzz at bay

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. It seems that a lot of blends now lean towards positioning the high nicotine filler toward the head of the cigar. I guess that's what some folks really enjoy these days.
I'm also a light weight I guess lol

How long do you usually age a cigar? I've heard you can go up to 10 years.

I usually shoot for two-three months

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:27:52 PM by muddy »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: August 26, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »
Glad to see the O-Fest beer is available. Have to hit the local market to try and get some. Hope it was a good cigar Tim.
It was good, a little heavy I had to eat some ice cream to keep the nicotine buzz at bay

Sorry to hear that. It seems that a lot of blends now lean towards positioning the high nicotine filler toward the head of the cigar. I guess that's what some folks really enjoy these days.

I can't take strong Ligero filler cigars either -- not worth the hassle.
As far as aging is concerned, it's a matter of who (i.e. which expert) you want to believe. Most all central/south American cigar tobacco is somewhat aged and ready to smoke when the cigar leaves the distributor or factory warehouses. I usually leave them in the humidor for one or two months and start enjoying them. Ultra-Premium brands usually use well aged tobacco to begin with and they can be enjoyed right after a few days of humidor acclimation.

The only exception is Cubans. They're shipped fresh and they require a long time of aging. I usually age my Cubans one/two years depending on strength. The stronger they are, the longer they need to age. For example I have a bundle of Romeo y Julieta Cazadores sitting in the humidor two years now, and they won't be ready to smoke for at least another five/six years. They are considered the most potent (full bodied) of Cubans, and that potent tobacco needs a long time to release the high nicotine and especially the strong ammonia.

Here's some info on the Cazadores ..

http://www.cigars-review.org/Romeo-y-Julieta-Cazadores.htm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:33:00 PM by goodfellow »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »
I run “hot” and “cold” on these. Several times a year I really want one of these Toro sized Camacho Ecuador wrapper cigars and then I have no more interest for a while. This is the only cigar in my humidor that I have such a taste difference with. It’s a good cigar , but my palate doesn’t often want a spicy and peppery flavor bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »

I can't take strong Ligero filler cigars either -- not worth the hassle.
As far as aging is concerned, it's a matter of who (i.e. which expert) you want to believe. Most all central/south American cigar tobacco is somewhat aged and ready to smoke when the cigar leaves the distributor or factory warehouses. I usually leave them in the humidor for one or two months and start enjoying them. Ultra-Premium brands usually use well aged tobacco to begin with and they can be enjoyed right after a few days of humidor acclimation.

The only exception is Cubans. They're shipped fresh and they require a long time of aging. I usually age my Cubans one/two years depending on strength. The stronger they are, the longer they need to age. For example I have a bundle of Romeo y Julieta Cazadores sitting in the humidor two years now, and they won't be ready to smoke for at least another five/six years. They are considered the most potent (full bodied) of Cubans, and that potent tobacco needs a long time to release the high nicotine and especially the strong ammonia.

Here's some info on the Cazadores ..

http://www.cigars-review.org/Romeo-y-Julieta-Cazadores.htm
Thanks for the info Ray!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #289 on: August 30, 2020, 12:43:36 PM »
Had this Motecristo Toro sitting on the humidor for two years. Just never got around to it - time to smoke it on a beautiful 82 degree sunny Sunday.

Can’t go wrong with a Dominican blend Monte.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: August 30, 2020, 03:15:35 PM »
Had this one late in the afternoon. - RyJ “Bully” 1875 - been in the humidor for over a year. Nice hay and barnyard aroma

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2020, 12:33:22 PM »
ILLUSIONE FUME D’AMOUR ... great sweet tobacco mild/medium body

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2020, 12:29:58 PM »
A good cigar doesn’t have to cost a lot. These budget mixed filler Spirit of Cuba Corojo cigars are a great everyday smoke. I enjoy them on walks and when doing yard work.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »
Cusano P1 Robusto. - another value priced cigar that tastes as good as many premium blends. One of my favorites for a smooth cool evening relaxation. Add a Yuengling draft beer and it’s a winner

Offline muddy

« Reply #294 on: September 07, 2020, 07:15:37 PM »
Cusano P1 Robusto. - another value priced cigar that tastes as good as many premium blends. One of my favorites for a smooth cool evening relaxation. Add a Yuengling draft beer and it’s a winner

Yuengling draft? What's on tap?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: September 09, 2020, 12:30:22 PM »
These Cuesta Rey Centenario Torpedo cigars age well. After a year, they have mellowed amazingly well, and the flavor is much more intense. Good cigar!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: September 10, 2020, 02:38:25 PM »
It’s so humid out this afternoon that the cigar is having a heck of a time staying lit.

Hot/humid 87%  - good cigar though

Offline muddy

« Reply #297 on: September 10, 2020, 09:24:51 PM »
It’s so humid out this afternoon that the cigar is having a heck of a time staying lit.

Hot/humid 87%  - good cigar though

Yeah it was a humid one today. Was soaked in sweat by 9am.

Great cigar choice though

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: September 11, 2020, 04:48:45 PM »
I was never a fan of the old Upmann brand - be it Cuban or Central American; they were always too salty and harsh for my taste.

Then I tried this Upmann blend by Jose’ Mendez - the Hispaniola (Dominican blend) and it’s a winner. Smooth and flavorful with lots of coffee and a little spice.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2020, 11:45:27 AM »
Southern Draw Kudzu box pressed. A great aged tobacco cigar.

Full bodied and flavored -

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:47:39 AM by goodfellow »