Author Topic: Looking for a computer forum?  (Read 13866 times)

Offline ron350

Looking for a computer forum?
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
I am looking for a computer forum that will help me set up windows 10 for the first tile.
There must be some computer forum that won’t thumb their nose at a senile old fart looking for a little help.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Re: Looking for a computer forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:11:35 PM »
Are you installing from scratch on a new computer or hard drive, or upgrading from your current version of Windows?

Offline ron350

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 03:41:15 PM »
OK some guys on another forum talked me into buying a refurbished Dell 7010 computer and now they won’t answer any questions.
The computer came in a box with no instructions just the tower so I am expected to be an expert or something. The computer is supposed to come with windows 10 pro on the hard drive waiting for new setup.

I remember someone saying that setting up windows 10 was not straightforward so now I am scared I will screw something up.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
Sorry but you are sounding like you lack the confidence to be doing this.

Suggest you take it to someone or a store for the proper help. You do not know who you maybe corresponding with or the level of knowledge they may or may not have..

If it has the OS already on it, power it up and follow the directions.
good luck ... :-)
Pep

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline AnsonJ

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
to possibly make your life easier...

go back through your correspondence with the seller and see if you have the "key" for the O/S.  it will be a long key of numbers and letters in 5 character groups, usually 5 groups of 5 characters.  If you have that key, and it truly is a Win 10 pro key, and it is not in use, your life just got a whole lot easier.  Even if you do have to actually install or set up Windows, this will make things go smoother. 

Hopefully the seller actually installed Windows and all you need to do is plug it in and turn it on and follow prompts to set up the time zone, user, accessability etc... so before getting to worried, do try to plug it in and run it.   You may need to download drivers for some of the components, but that won't be to difficult, Windows will walk you through that.

If you don't have the O/S or key, you will need to buy one.  I have had good luck with www.mychoicesoftware.com for buying keys and actual media.  if it comes down to this, do get a deal that actually sends you the key and files/ media on a flash drive.  this will make your life sooo much easier if you have to reinstall, plus you know that the key will match the software on the usb drive.  you can get a deal where you can get win 10 pro for about 100 bucks, maybe even less.  I paid 99 for my copy 2 years ago, and they will give you the key right away and ship the media to you.  so if you have a copy without a key, you don't have to wait.  and they are a certified Microsoft reseller.

And if Microsoft ticks you off, you can always download a copy of Linux for free and put it on a usb or dvd and install Linux :)  (and Ubuntu is fairly easy to install too)

Anson
"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 06:28:27 AM »
To answer your question directly, I have used these folks several times for pesky viruses, all with 100% success.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/

Surprisingly, I ran across this. https://www.cnet.com/forums/computer-help/  Tho I have not used it I would trust it merely by the name alone.

Good luck!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:20:59 AM »
"The computer came in a box with no instructions just the tower so I am expected to be an expert or something. The computer is supposed to come with windows 10 pro on the hard drive waiting for new setup.

****I remember someone saying that setting up windows 10 was not straightforward " *** < this is bull shit and what I meant when I wrote to you, you never know who you are talking to or the level of or lack of their knowledge. That statement was from a moron that wants to look like an internet hero

Too answer your question more directly, computers today are built for plug and play. The user typically just cables the box, keyboard, mouse, printer and powers it up.
 Making sure you have internet and the the computer cabled to it. It will register the OS, and you will be on your way. The companies are not sending USB or a CD with the OS anymore, or instructions ... why because no one reads them in the first place.

Never heard of Windoz pro ... not that there in not such a thing, just saying.

Purchased and returned a laptop for the wife a week ago. When I ask mircro center for a Dell Latitude. I got this line of crap about it being a business machine, and would be difficult to setup..... That was crap because they were wanting a fee to do nothing but plug it in...

So I have a business machine with W10, plug it in off it goes, answer the question it ask. It spins up contacts a Microsoft server. Scans the box & uploads what is needed from the computer, meaning is the OS legit, open license and not a pirated copy, identity, email address, ser of the machine, that sort of stuff.

No harder than setting up a consumer grade computer ...

So why did i buy a business machine...?.... here is what I learned quite by mistake. I'm passing it along so others will know.

I replaced the router for a gateway, fancy name for a router that can do voip, same as a router WI-FI capable but voip makes it a gateway and not a router.

Running WI-FI speed test on the wife's machine 36 mbps ... new gateway, not so great. After doing a few things, not getting anywherer.

Conclude the laptop just old 5 years, outdated ... off to Micro-center..... Get a new machine, power it up... damn the same WI-FI speed .......

My work laptop 6+ years old WI-FI 75mbps .. Dell Latitude ? Well I go get one, back I go to the store.
Get the Latitude, set it up, hit the router 75mbps........

Conclusion: The difference of the consumer and business grade is all about, things such as the network interface, for one example.

Side note: I have mac as my  desktop and the WI-FI connection, runs 75 + mbps , apple does not sell consumer and business grade machines .. So the side note .. Apple charges more for their machines..... but you are getting business grade system board components... there is the reason for the cost differences. Proving once again you get what you pay for.

BTW pulled copper from my machine, to the gateway/router, speed 150+ mdps, what I'm paying for.

Know the was a windy post hope it has helped in some way ....
Pep

Offline ron350

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 10:48:15 AM »
Thanks for the help I got it sorted out.

Forgive me for not being able to spell my hands shake bad and my glaucoma is trashing my eyes. This entire screw up was my fault because I misread the set up screen.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 11:31:36 AM »

Forgive me for not being able to spell my hands shake bad and my glaucoma is trashing my eyes. This entire screw up was my fault because I misread the set up screen.

Just glad to see you got it sorted out and you are up and running!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 11:58:18 AM »

Hey GOOD for you ! persistence that the ticket  ...... thumbs up

Pep

Offline ron350

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 03:28:52 PM »
I have used Windows XP for many years so Windows 10 looks insane with every thing hidden. Now I see what all those people were complaining about. LOL

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 05:19:21 PM »
Ron,

Here is a link you may find interesting ..if you've not heard of it.
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

It will make the desk top of W10 look like the XP if you like and still preform as W10.

Found out about the shell when the wife had W8 on a machine,.. The new machine having W10 she wants to try it out for a while, then if she wishes I'll install this shell.

Very easy, once down loaded, it will give you a choice of all the older  desk tops, from classic to XP just select one, restart ... boom it's all there.

You can back out, without hurting the OS, it is just a shell, sits on top on the OS, like dust on a table.

Pretty nice, free to all but I gave the engineers a bump for the hard work...

Pep
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:24:21 PM by pep »

Offline ron350

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
Thanks PEP I did not know they had the classic shell  thing for Windows 10.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »
Thanks PEP I did not know they had the classic shell  thing for Windows 10.

Here ya go .......
 Classic Shell support Windows 10
Starting with version 4.2.4, Classic Shell fully supports Windows 10.

Glad to read you're  enjoying the new machine ...... ;-)

Pep

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 07:28:25 AM »
Keep at it.

I've found over the yrs that there isn't much you(or your children/wife/guests) can do to a computer that cant be fixed. I go to youtube and search up vids and do the duckduckgo.com search on the subject with several different wordings and such and read. Someone has already had your problem and fixed it.

You just have to find where the "fix" is posted. And sometimes there are things posted that don't work. No problem, just move on to the next "fix".

You can do it! I know we make the screen stuff bigger for the wife to be able to see easier. And I bought a 24" screen for the desktop to make that work better than her little laptop. Probably will go to something bigger one of these days as we get older and can't see.
Rich