Author Topic: Let's see your bicycle tools!  (Read 34078 times)

Offline strik9

• X
Re: Let's see your bicycle tools!
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »
The latest addition to the fold.  A bike repair stsnd I made on a whim.  Solid and this 2nd version looks good

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »
Well, I found a steel tool at a rummage sale, and the ends look eerily similar to a park brake tool that is no longer available.

The BT3 brake bending tool is for the older aluminum brake arms. They need to have a slight toe-in on the front edge of the pad to brake properly. Being aluminum the arms are easily twisted out of whack by any number of things. While many mechanics use an adjustable wrench to re-bend the brake arms Park came up with a nicely made wrench to do the job. Since it's been discontinued, I've tried to find one reasonable and haven't been able to.

Enter my piece of steel. 11 1/4" long and 3/8" thick. The two end openings are 9mm and a tad over 5.5mm. Asked on the bike forum if anyone with the BT3 tool if they could measure the opening. A member responded and said he measured 5.6mm. So I'm in business.

I think the chunk of steel was worth $1. Can't figure out who made it or what's its OEM purpose was. Though I suspect it had an auto brake function. Say a disc brake rotor straigtener?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 08:23:30 AM by bonneyman »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2021, 09:48:47 PM »
Recent additions to the Park tool box. L to R are:

Third hand brake tool - holds calipers shut (or close to) in order to snug the brake cable.

Campagnolo specific bottom bracket wrench - wont mar your aluminum bearing cups

Headset race removal tool - folks often use long punches or screwdrivers to accomplish the same thing, but do mar the races

Spoke tension gauge. Yes truing your wheel also means correctly tensioning the spokes.