Author Topic: Armstrong no. 713 bolt-on clamp  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Davethorik

Armstrong no. 713 bolt-on clamp
« on: February 28, 2020, 09:05:43 PM »
Picked this up today from a retired machinist because I've never seen a h.d. USA made clamp in this style before, drill press/mill/welding table use. Armstrong Chicago no. 713 pat. Applied for. Has about 3-3/8" clearance under the screw, and is pretty beefy.

Also picked up this set of mitutoyo hecho in japan telescoping gages for a co-worker who needs a set. The case is dirty and cracked in a couple places, the gages are typical of 70s/80s mitutoyo, overbuilt and nicely made. All 6 gages are in pristine condition themselves. Dave told me he bought them new and didn't use them much.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Armstrong no. 713 bolt-on clamp
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »
Nice haul -- the tele set is of very good quality. Congrats!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »
good stuff there. I buy all the old Mitutoyo I find. old school good quality.   

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »
I luv me some bent clamps in order to rescue, and my collection now shows the final results. Bent handles are a breeze to unbend, just find the spot they were in, and push the other way, either with pipe, or other extendable object.

Bent screw portions are just as easy. Again, try and find the spot where they were bent, and nudge the other way. I tend to use my older brass hammers for that while they are held in a vice. Even twisted bodies are easily fixed. I find the material very malleable and have never broke one despite their being in very bad shape. One can have too many clamps tho, but that makes for another story.  ;)

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
That clamp need to be bolted to one of my machines.... nice bloody grab.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?