Author Topic: My first foray into taps and dies  (Read 4894 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

My first foray into taps and dies
« on: May 31, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »
Knowing this is a good skill / capability to have I decided to buy a cheap $17 40 pc set from harbor freight .
I only know the few very basic things about using them and knew I'd break some learning so I figured the cheap ones would be good to learn on.

The quality is apparently low even to me, but that's fine they were very cheap and I can afford for them to break on me.
The ones that are actually good to begin with anyways.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ken w.

Re: My first foray into taps and dies
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »
It's good to practice on scrap material before trying it on an important piece. When tapping your first hole you will notice a certain feel for the tap as it cuts. I find that I break taps when I get cocky and over confident and tap too quickly. I would try  it on a piece of angle iron first to get used to it. I would assume those are carbon taps in that set ?? Those tend to break easy if used too quick. I'm sure there are more experienced members who can give you more advise than me.  I do know this. Now you'll be buying taps at yard sales every time you go to one. Yep.  ;D

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 08:38:45 PM »
Do you have a tap/drill chart so you know the exact size hole to drill before you tap it? Also use a good oil and if it feels like the tap is getting tight in the hole back the tap off a quarter turn or so and then go back into it. If you try and force the tap you will break it. Also make sure to keep the tap at a 90 degree angle to the hole and apply a little down force to get it started.

Offline ron350

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 09:24:38 PM »
Hickory n Steel I have that same set in metric and will only use it in an emergency to chase a thread.

The problem is that cheap tap & die sets are always out of spec. The taps and dies will take off so much material that the nut or bolt will be loose.

Once you use a high speed steel tap set (meaning start and bottom tap) you will never use those cheap things again.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:37:17 PM »
Hickory n Steel I have that same set in metric and will only use it in an emergency to chase a thread.

The problem is that cheap tap & die sets are always out of spec. The taps and dies will take off so much material that the nut or bolt will be loose.

Once you use a high speed steel tap set (meaning start and bottom tap) you will never use those cheap things again.
I've already noticed that in testing that the fit is loose.
I'm not going to complain too much for the price, but I'm sure I'll want to upgrade as soon as I'm confident in the process.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 09:38:27 PM »
Do you have a tap/drill chart so you know the exact size hole to drill before you tap it? Also use a good oil and if it feels like the tap is getting tight in the hole back the tap off a quarter turn or so and then go back into it. If you try and force the tap you will break it. Also make sure to keep the tap at a 90 degree angle to the hole and apply a little down force to get it started.
I don't have a chart I don't believe, but I'll take care of that.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 10:53:11 PM »
What you might want to consider is the Pocket Reference book by Glover. Very handy with all kinds of tables, formulas, things like tap and drill sizes, standard thread sizes/pitches & lot's more. Price is all over the place but I usually get them for about 10. At one time Harbor Freight carried them not sure if they still do.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 11:22:45 PM »
What you might want to consider is the Pocket Reference book by Glover. Very handy with all kinds of tables, formulas, things like tap and drill sizes, standard thread sizes/pitches & lot's more. Price is all over the place but I usually get them for about 10. At one time Harbor Freight carried them not sure if they still do.
I'll look into that, thanks for the tip.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 11:25:28 PM »
Those will work ok for chasing out tapped holes. tapping a drilled hole may be more challenging. I find that I use taps @95% to clean up existing threads versus making new threads.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
Do you have a tap/drill chart so you know the exact size hole to drill before you tap it? Also use a good oil and if it feels like the tap is getting tight in the hole back the tap off a quarter turn or so and then go back into it. If you try and force the tap you will break it. Also make sure to keep the tap at a 90 degree angle to the hole and apply a little down force to get it

started.

Vitally important comments above! Following the above is a must regardless the quality of the taps or dies. When you back the tap or die off as suggested above you break the chip from cutting which makes going g forward easier cutting and less punishing to the cutting tool.. get
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 11:54:19 AM »
Good set to learn on. Bravo
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline ken w.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 01:16:16 PM »
In the future if you want a better set watch Craigslist or Facebook as set like Hanson , Ace , and others do come up quite often and some are reasonable.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 02:29:09 PM »
In the future if you want a better set watch Craigslist or Facebook as set like Hanson , Ace , and others do come up quite often and some are reasonable.
I'm 10000% anti Facebook, but I can definitely look online if I want something better in the future.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »
I'm 10000% anti Facebook, but I can definitely look online if I want something better in the future.

Set up a dummy account on FB then request access to Facebook Marketplace.  You won't get it immediately but you will eventually.  I'm still waiting on one of my dummy accounts.  Once you get it, you'll be amazed how many more choices you'll have for used tools, toolboxes, basically everything.
boop/bop/beep

Offline ken w.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 04:10:31 PM »
Hickory - pm me your mailing info and I'll send you a bunch of taps. I have them all over my garage.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 07:21:08 PM »
Getting it square is the most important part. If you have a drill press that is a good way to start threading.

But, this should also get you started.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 07:28:25 PM »
Getting it square is the most important part. If you have a drill press that is a good way to start threading.

But, this should also get you started.

Thanks, I downloaded that to my phone.
Always lookin' to learn