Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 687807 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2085 on: April 02, 2021, 06:57:28 PM »
Started wheat yesterday.

Hitting it pretty hard. It's early but I don't want to work tomorrow or Easter. We'll go at hard again on Monday.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:00:52 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline walrus

« Reply #2086 on: April 03, 2021, 04:20:30 AM »
Service calls and then came home. Hooked up ice maker on new fridge. Put a large 3M filter under sink for taste and had 3/8 copper behind cabinets to fridge. Using 3/8 compression for connections until I had to go down to 1/4inch at fridge. Cheesy China fittings from HD, leak like sieves. Fought it for an hour or 2 trying to get drips to stop under sink. Bought a small ball valve for behind fridge, leaks by, I'd go insane if I had to use that crap all the time

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2087 on: April 03, 2021, 10:47:16 AM »
our Homey depot is just now getting some stock to stay on the shelves in the plumbing dept. The February freeze wiped everyone out of plumbing supplies.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2088 on: April 03, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »
Chinese copper tubing has higher amount of more trace impurities than in the past. I want to say phosphorus and sulfur. Makes it more brittle, harder to braze. But being that's pretty much all we can get anymore I just had to adjust my soldering techniques and make it work.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2089 on: April 03, 2021, 05:47:31 PM »
First Sunday of the month so it is the Oilers Hot Rod Club's Monthly Breakfast Meet. Even though it is in the middle of the four day Easter holiday they still got nearly fifty cars.

Still had a six in it.

One for Jabber.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2090 on: April 04, 2021, 03:52:13 AM »
So after having a look around the Oilers meet and having some breakfast at their event sponsors cafe, I went to...

A small museum detailing the history of the armed forces in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, from 1890s when the British South Africa Company started trading and prospecting in the region thought to 1980 when Rhodesia became the Republic of Zimbabwe.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2091 on: April 04, 2021, 07:17:36 AM »
Chinese copper tubing has higher amount of more trace impurities than in the past. I want to say phosphorus and sulfur. Makes it more brittle, harder to braze. But being that's pretty much all we can get anymore I just had to adjust my soldering techniques and make it work.

I predict ............... at some point in the near future. The boneheads of today's maintenance force. Will loose the skill required to solder, unable to hold a cell phone while looking like they are working.

I am curious what you changed, amount of heat, time, flux, solder?

Thanks in advance.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2092 on: April 04, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »
Pepi, that time is upon us. One of the young guys I got on my crew was asking me about brazing aluminum. I told him that brazing was a brass product and I didn't think it would work on aluminum. He shows me  video he watched where the guy was basically soldering a crack but kept calling it brazing.  :lol_hitting:

Rhodesia is a fine example of how far and how fast a country can deteriorate under the wrong leadership. I was a freshman in high school and our in our world history class is was studied as quite the great feat for this country to gain back its freedom. I wonder how the populous feels about that now.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2093 on: April 04, 2021, 10:20:06 AM »
A guy I knew went to Rhodesia in the mid 70's and the last I heard of him from his BIL he was a Captain in the Rhodesian White Army. This guy had also fought in the Congo, Arab-Israeli war and a few others. I've always wondered if he survived or got chopped up with a machete.

Always liked this movie and never knew Cessna made a civilian model 310 bomber. I could think of a use for one of those. :great:

<iframe width="987" height="555" src=" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:36:15 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2094 on: April 04, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »

I predict ............... at some point in the near future. The boneheads of today's maintenance force. Will loose the skill required to solder, unable to hold a cell phone while looking like they are working.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I still say 'soldering" when refrigerant tubing uses "high temperature brazing". As I recall it has to do with the temperature that is the dividing line between soldering and brazing.

The solder I used to use was a self-fluxing type that was standard in the industry. I changed to a different brand of soldering alloy that I think had more silver (for better flow) and used a paste flux (I think it was made by Oatey). I used to use flux as a beginner but it caused pin-hole leaks so a boss made me drop it.
Scrupulous cleaning was also par for the course - even on brand new tube and fittings! I used to use sanding cloth exclusively but went to steel wool for alot of cleaning jobs as it was cleaner.

Brazing or soldering aluminum used to be impossible. I never tried it. Trane had a connector kit for making aluminum to copper transitions, as they tried aluminum tubed coils back in the 80's. If the factory aluminum to copper junction failed that kit was the only approved way of joining them. maybe they have something that works now?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:37:12 AM by bonneyman »

Offline walrus

« Reply #2095 on: April 04, 2021, 05:23:57 PM »
Continued working in Kitchen, piece of veneer plywood on back of island, pain in the butt. Have to make an accessible area to get at J Box for oven and stove top. Ended up making the connections a different way and hacking up some of interior of island to make sure it was easy to work on once base board comes off. Milwaukee M18 Fuel Oscillating tool is the bomb.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2096 on: April 04, 2021, 08:10:31 PM »
  Interesting, map gas or portable oxy/acc ?

Trane top of the line would not have another. Learned about the Trane. Working for a while with a company that serviced large building AC units.

The biggest system ever seen by me a Cold water unit, basement of a hotel.  "A" frame constructed on site to make the repairs........ Miami .

HVAC good career, interesting and technically challenging.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I still say 'soldering" when refrigerant tubing uses "high temperature brazing". As I recall it has to do with the temperature that is the dividing line between soldering and brazing.

The solder I used to use was a self-fluxing type that was standard in the industry. I changed to a different brand of soldering alloy that I think had more silver (for better flow) and used a paste flux (I think it was made by Oatey). I used to use flux as a beginner but it caused pin-hole leaks so a boss made me drop it.
Scrupulous cleaning was also par for the course - even on brand new tube and fittings! I used to use sanding cloth exclusively but went to steel wool for alot of cleaning jobs as it was cleaner.

Brazing or soldering aluminum used to be impossible. I never tried it. Trane had a connector kit for making aluminum to copper transitions, as they tried aluminum tubed coils back in the 80's. If the factory aluminum to copper junction failed that kit was the only approved way of joining them. maybe they have something that works now?
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2097 on: April 05, 2021, 05:54:10 PM »
A guy I knew went to Rhodesia in the mid 70's and the last I heard of him from his BIL he was a Captain in the Rhodesian White Army. This guy had also fought in the Congo, Arab-Israeli war and a few others. I've always wondered if he survived or got chopped up with a machete.

Always liked this movie and never knew Cessna made a civilian model 310 bomber. I could think of a use for one of those. :great:

<iframe width="987" height="555" src=" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watched The Wild Geese last night with the wife on Tubi.  It was long, but interesting.  Not a block buster but we did enjoy it

The Cessna scenes were cool and the mindset of the mercenaries was surprising.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2098 on: April 05, 2021, 08:03:29 PM »
Glad you found it interesting Phil. It was made in the usual British fashion of these types of movies but had a good cast and was relevant to happenings at the time. It has been some time since I have watched it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2099 on: April 06, 2021, 03:10:23 AM »
No doubt about that movie being British.  ;)

Mama told me last night that she liked it