Author Topic: Another gyroscopic screwdriver.  (Read 2249 times)

Offline bonneyman

Another gyroscopic screwdriver.
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:41:31 PM »
Man, this thing looks cool. The video is a hoot! But for 75 euros (?) I'll have to pass.

For me it would probably only work on thermostats and electronics. That reminds me - I gotta fix the slide out door on the DVD player! :91:

https://kinetic-driver.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Another gyroscopic screwdriver.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 10:22:59 PM »
Man, this thing looks cool. The video is a hoot! But for 75 euros (?) I'll have to pass.

For me it would probably only work on thermostats and electronics. That reminds me - I gotta fix the slide out door on the DVD player! :91:

https://kinetic-driver.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
I've seen the guys YouTube channel before,  and the ones about creating this driver and I do appreciate the thought that went into it but it's just not for me.
It's really more or less geared towards the gadget crowd, I think mostly bought by the type who carry a $200+ titanium frame folding knife with all bells and whistles.
I know those " flipper " knives as they call them are something that crowd is very particular about,  they use fancy micro oils to lubricate the bearings and have to have the perfect adjustment on the pivot screw and such so it flicks open just right.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 05:04:32 AM »
Just ordered 2 because I do need that :08:

Just kidding. I don't do small screws enough to drop $100 on one but it is neat and would cosider it if I did just because it looks like it would reduce hand pain if you did a lot of precision work.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:49:48 AM »
Just ordered 2 because I do need that :08:

Just kidding. I don't do small screws enough to drop $100 on one but it is neat and would consider it if I did just because it looks like it would reduce hand pain if you did a lot of precision work.

Better grab one now if you think you'll ever want it. They're doing a limited run (folks who preordered and then 5% more) and then that's it. Never again.   :051bye:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »
That would be great if you worked with small screws daily. The amazing part to me of this story is that they were seeking 5,000 euros funding on Kickstarter and received over 532,000 euros.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »
Well, I finished the "inertial" driver I made from bits and bobs after looking at all the GJ links. Needed some heavy weight on the end to sustain the spinning action. Brass A/C hose couplings filled the bill. Non-magnetic, free, heavy enough, and adaptable to my mini-bit driver. Still need to make some sort of bearing cap, but we'll see how it works.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 07:06:39 PM »
Well, I finished the "inertial" driver I made from bits and bobs after looking at all the GJ links. Needed some heavy weight on the end to sustain the spinning action. Brass A/C hose couplings filled the bill. Non-magnetic, free, heavy enough, and adaptable to my mini-bit driver. Still need to make some sort of bearing cap, but we'll see how it works.
Way to go making your own.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 09:46:07 AM »
Well, I've had a few chances to use my improvisation. And it works great! For electronics screws and other small fasteners it provides surprising grip and turning ability. Even with my arthritis. It could almost be shorter still, but I don't want to prematurely cut it down. Easier to shorten than to make longer!
If I were still working the A/C job I'd definitely make a pocket carrier for it, as I'm certain it would prove invaluable for thermostats, circuit board replacement, and small component disassembly tasks. Maybe repurpose a leather Maglite or knife belt holster to house it? :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

As it is I store it in a clamshell eyeglass holder that I painted bright red for visibility and lined with shelf liner. Interchangeable bits make it wonderful. And I think a deep knurl is better than supremely smooth spinning.