Author Topic: Coffe and Coke Drinkers  (Read 6519 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Coffe and Coke Drinkers
« on: March 18, 2021, 03:06:03 PM »
I don't drink much Coke or carbonated beverages these days maybe every couple months I'll have one but I do drink (one) iced coffee every morning. Mrs J.A.F.E. brought home a new Coke flavor a couple weeks ago Coke with coffee and I just tried it. It is quite tasty I have to say. Probably a witches brew of horrible chemicals and I'll end up a zombie with seven hands just from a single can but then I'll be able to wield more tools at one time so maybe not all bad.

If you drink this kind of crap might be worth a try.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Coffe and Coke Drinkers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »
When they had the "Cola Wars" of the 1980's I went for Pepsi. Then Coke countered with the new Coke, and I thought that was a sign of weakness. And I didn't really like it. Then they re-released the original formula as "Classic Coke", and I was like, "Who the heck is running the company?" Of course, Pepsi tried Pepsi Clear - which tasted so much like chemicals I'm surprised i didn't grow 10 extra eyes and a tail.

During this time I tried Royal Crown cola. Really liked it. Down through the years I've always opted for RC cola if it was offered. In many places it wasn't. Now they've come out with a  caffeine free diet version which by golly tastes really good. The Mrs. Agrees. So Coke can kiss my grits! (Though I will admit I like both Coke's Vanilla and Cherry varieties.)

My new diet really frowns on soda anyway so I'll probably be carbonation free from here on out.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 05:10:20 PM »
RC is good just can't find it many places. I used to eat in a Peruvian place that sold a Peruvian cola called Inca Cola that was pretty good. Mostly these days I drink iced tea or iced tea and lemonade.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 06:16:19 PM »
Pretty sure most here will not even know what i am talking about. But for the ones that will, the best Cokes every were nickel, fountain cokes, syrup & carbonated water.

Sold at the drug store counter, soft drinks not had one for 30 years
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 06:16:32 PM »
RC is good just can't find it many places. I used to eat in a Peruvian place that sold a Peruvian cola called Inca Cola that was pretty good. Mostly these days I drink iced tea or iced tea and lemonade.
Rc cola is fantastic

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »
I haven't drank a soda since they got rid of Lime Coke. I hate the diet sodas so I either drink coffee or water with lemon. One note about McD's fountain coke is that they have their special mix on the syrup ratio and they have a larger diameter straw than anybody else. That is why it tastes so good.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 06:52:11 PM »
Rc cola is fantastic

I don't know what it is. RC has been around forever, and tastes great. But it's never gotten real big like Coke and Pepsi. It couldn't just be marketing, could it?

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 07:49:24 PM »
Rc cola is fantastic

I don't know what it is. RC has been around forever, and tastes great. But it's never gotten real big like Coke and Pepsi. It couldn't just be marketing, could it?
And they do not have the ability to scale up production

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
When I was a kid in the mid-60's we would visit our uncle on his hog farm in Iowa. Fond memories of riding in the farm truck hauling hogs and stopping at the feed store at the elevators and he would buy me and my brother bottles of Mountain Dew. It was a treat because MD wasn't available in SoCal. Bonus was we had plenty of energy to help with the chores. :dance:

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 08:14:46 PM »
RC, at one time known as Royal Crown, is owned by Kuerig Dr Pepper. I would think they'd have the resources to get it some prominence but who knows. It's not often I see RC at a restaurant or convenience store fountain. Usually just bottles.

Pretty sure most here will not even know what i am talking about. But for the ones that will, the best Cokes every were nickel, fountain cokes, syrup & carbonated water.

Sold at the drug store counter, soft drinks not had one for 30 years

I grew up with a corner drug store on the street that had a soda fountain. Cherry coke was the best. Plus all the rest of stuff you buy and a dollar would get you enough to od on sugar and still have change.

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 08:15:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing this jafr. I'm more of a Pepsi guy but I'll have to see if I can find it local.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 08:21:48 PM »
When i was in Cuba in had real cola made directly from the cola nut.
Bloody fantastic, the comparison is, does fanta taste like orange juice?
That flavor still haunts me 6 years later.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 08:28:14 PM »
DN the Mountain Dew was an investment then for him.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 08:30:31 PM »

And you didn't bring any of that cola back for the rest of us?

Never had Fanta. But I like Orange Crush and Grape Crush.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 08:35:40 PM »
No coffee for me.

In this order, and all Can glass bottle or fountain if I can help it.
Most sodas taste like crap from a plastic bottle, and even worse poured from a 2ltr into a glass especially with ice.
Mountain Dew
Mello yellow
Squirt
Orange crush
RC cola
Coke.

I kind of started to prefer Mellow Yellow over Mountain Dew,  but it's been unavailable near me for at least 6 months and honestly Mountain Dew will always be my favorite.

I hate diet soda and I firmly believe 10000% that coke zero is the exact same thing with a new label, I have tasted both and theres no convincing me otherwise.

I'm not into citrus sodas like 7up or Sprite, but the original Sierra mist is okay if they still make it,  that Sierra mist naturals stuff my mom likes is disgusting.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:41:12 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 08:42:27 PM »

And you didn't bring any of that cola back for the rest of us?

Never had Fanta. But I like Orange Crush and Grape Crush.
I wonder if fanta still offers a cola ?
I know they actually came about after Germany could no longer get coke during the war.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 09:15:03 PM »
I can appreciate a good cup of coffee but I don't go out of my way to make or buy one.

Coke
Pepsi
Dr. Pepper
Mountain Dew
7 Up
Sprite
Root Beer

Down for whatever...
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 10:22:32 PM »
Never got into coffee, though a nice cup of tea now and then is fine. What I don't get is the drive up Starbucks thing. Every SB has a line - or two - waiting to get java. And a new chain opened up in town lately (Dutch Bros.) . Geez those locations are backed up too!

Must be the caffeine addiction. :character0029:

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 11:28:42 PM »
Never got into coffee, though a nice cup of tea now and then is fine. What I don't get is the drive up Starbucks thing. Every SB has a line - or two - waiting to get java. And a new chain opened up in town lately (Dutch Bros.) . Geez those locations are backed up too!

Like most things coffee is an acquired taste. I never drank it until I opened my business. I was the sole employee and couldn't leave so on the way to work I'd get an iced coffee at AMPM in one of those buckets disguised as a cup. It lasted almost all day and I needed the lift.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 12:20:21 AM »

Like most things coffee is an acquired taste. I never drank it until I opened my business. I was the sole employee and couldn't leave so on the way to work I'd get an iced coffee at AMPM in one of those buckets disguised as a cup. It lasted almost all day and I needed the lift.
I eat a king sized payday bar when I arrive at 2:30 am, and drink mountain berry blast powered throughout the day with a high carb lunch ( more like breakfast,  at 6:30am )
Caffeine may do a better job but it seems to happen more at once than gradually like I get with my current " ritual ", and I have found the dependance on Caffeine to not be worth it.

My buddy was working the night shift, but quit after maybe 6 months because he was getting unhealthy with his diet and the dependance on Caffeine was really messing him up.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:22:56 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »
I drink coffee during the winter months, normally Starbucks Dark roast, one large, maybe 2 cups a day.  Black, no sugar, like the taste.  Buy the coffee at BJ's wholesale club

During warmer weather, Diet Dr. Pepper is preferred

I am drinking more water and cutting back on the soda but that is easy for me during the winter

As to the popularity of the fancy coffee houses, I indulge every now and then, I can taste the difference, most make a very good cup of coffee
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:52:03 AM by fatfillup »

Offline highland512

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2021, 09:30:31 AM »
I have always thought RC to be a very midwestern drink, with RC and RC cherry being my favorites. I have fond memories from childhood of the football coach taking the whole team to the local pizza place where we would punish the pizza buffet and guzzle pitchers of RC from the fountain.....good times.

Still to this day southern Indiana and Kentucky are the only places I see RC on a large scale and even available at the fountain (my favorite way to consume it) 

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 09:50:31 AM »
Aubrey tried the Coke with Coffee she seemed to like it. But working 12hr night shifts as a nurse in a nursing home you need all the boost you can get.

Hate to admit it but I've drank coffee all of my life. Literally mom used to have a pic of me drinking milk with coffee out of a bottle. When we were kids the "adults" would add enough coffee to make our milk brownish to get us to drink it. I'm talking real milk here just squeezed that morning with 2 inches of butter fat floating on top of the jar.

Lots of years pass with everything from Turkish eat it with a spoon and get sleepy a week later to Starchucks with their burnt beans. Of all the good West coast coffee shops, why did Starchucks catch on?

Oh tried a new one last week. From Coffee Bean Direct  they call it Zombie Cure. Full bodied great aroma smooth flavored no bitter or burnt tastes to it. Made it in the Keurig using a fill yourself pod came out great (quick for Aub to take to work with her,)

French pressed some for me to sip on. Came out very nice and mellow. Note for those oddballs like me. Add a splash of Honey Liqueur to it at the end of the day for a nice relaxing night cap. 

RC and Moon pies the southern treat. The Cherry is good but my all time favorite RC was back in the 70's when they came out with lemon RC.  loved that stuff.

Side note RC was very common in Athens Greece in the late 70's early 80's.

Found a pic of a Lemon RC can.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:59:16 AM by Rusty »
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 01:59:36 PM »
Aubrey tried the Coke with Coffee she seemed to like it. But working 12hr night shifts as a nurse in a nursing home you need all the boost you can get.

Hate to admit it but I've drank coffee all of my life. Literally mom used to have a pic of me drinking milk with coffee out of a bottle. When we were kids the "adults" would add enough coffee to make our milk brownish to get us to drink it. I'm talking real milk here just squeezed that morning with 2 inches of butter fat floating on top of the jar.

Lots of years pass with everything from Turkish eat it with a spoon and get sleepy a week later to Starchucks with their burnt beans. Of all the good West coast coffee shops, why did Starchucks catch on?

Oh tried a new one last week. From Coffee Bean Direct  they call it Zombie Cure. Full bodied great aroma smooth flavored no bitter or burnt tastes to it. Made it in the Keurig using a fill yourself pod came out great (quick for Aub to take to work with her,)

French pressed some for me to sip on. Came out very nice and mellow. Note for those oddballs like me. Add a splash of Honey Liqueur to it at the end of the day for a nice relaxing night cap. 

RC and Moon pies the southern treat. The Cherry is good but my all time favorite RC was back in the 70's when they came out with lemon RC.  loved that stuff.

Side note RC was very common in Athens Greece in the late 70's early 80's.

Found a pic of a Lemon RC can.
gol durn it rusty. ya need to post more often. when ya actually start ramblin we learn something.

you tell them wippersnappers about lemon rc cola!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
I liked the lime cola I would probably love lemon cola. Lemon is second favorite artificial flavor.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 03:45:32 PM »
A&W root beer ICED mug
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2021, 08:08:24 PM »
Anyone have Vernors?  Paging Torqueman and Hofferwood.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2021, 11:06:20 PM »
Vernors Ginger Soda/Ale?  Easy Walmart.com or amazon.com  one of the best tasting ginger ales. Sold local in most stores.

One of the nearby malls still had a AW Root beer stand in their food court in the 90s.

A local pharmacy still had the soda fountain open before covid not sure if it still is or not.

https://m.facebook.com/allenspharmacychillicothe/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 11:12:50 PM by Rusty »

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline muddy

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 09:00:22 PM »
This is my annual Friday breakfast that and a breakfast sandwich and eatable cookie dough form rutters.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline Rural53

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 03:26:05 AM »
Mello yellow

We haven't had Mello Yellow here in NZ since the 90's. RC is available here. I used to drink it occasionally as a treat.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 03:27:45 AM by Rural53 »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »
Rural, haha  Royal Crown Draft, not the same as the Royal Crown we have here :))

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2021, 07:26:02 PM »
I`ll see if i can scrape up some kola nuts... no not koala nuts.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2021, 12:05:00 AM »
At around 50 bucks a four pack on ebay. Someone must have really liked it. 

Marcus Tullius Cicero