Author Topic: Telephone scammers  (Read 3292 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Telephone scammers
« on: March 19, 2021, 11:20:02 AM »

Please forward this on to everybody you know.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Telephone scammers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 11:33:42 AM »
I got a call yesterday that I was being charged $1500 for an Apple laptop that was a mistake. I hung up and blocked the number.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 08:33:27 PM »
I've been getting a dozen calls a day from scammers. My question is, do they ever get anyone to play along? They must be making money some how but I'm not seeing it being too lucrative of a crime?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 08:45:22 PM »
I've been getting a dozen calls a day from scammers. My question is, do they ever get anyone to play along? They must be making money some how but I'm not seeing it being too lucrative of a crime?

They prey on senior citizens, and unfortunately there are many seniors that fall for their scams. Some elderly friends of ours lost almost $200K because they clicked on a site that installed the "Warning your Windows System has been Infected" virus. They fell for the bait and called the "800" number to ostensibly "clean up the virus". At that point they were overwhelmed by the scammers with techno-gibberish and made a lot of mistakes that eventually allowed these crooks to install a key logger on the computer in under a minute. Within a few hours they got all the banking info and subsequently cleaned out all bank accounts that had been accessible from that computer.

The money was laundered through dozens of overseas bank accounts (mostly Indian), and there's nothing the bank, nor the authorities could do. Best defense is 2FA on all accounts. It's not perfect, but it usually makes it too much of a hassle for scammers to circumvent.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:47:43 AM by goodfellow »

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 03:38:56 AM »
If the incoming number isn't in my contacts, I don't answer the phone. They will leave a message if they really want me

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 10:35:56 AM »
If the incoming number isn't in my contacts, I don't answer the phone. They will leave a message if they really want me
This.^

We've been getting similar calls, some times several a day. Now we just don't answer any we don't recognize.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 12:01:36 PM »
This.^

We've been getting similar calls, some times several a day. Now we just don't answer any we don't recognize.

I try to do that also but one call I received the phone said likely scam but the number looked familiar so I answered it and it was an important call that I was expecting. When the scammers spoof your prefix it makes it even harder to know.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 12:03:33 PM »
Goodie , whats a 2FA?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »
Goodie , whats a 2FA?

Sorry Jabber -- should have typed the actual term. 2FA = Two-Factor Authentication. You set up your online account to text you a unique time-stamped numerical code that is used in addition to your password to gain entry to a secure website.

Options vary in that some secure sites will allow you to choose how you receive that unique numerical code -- i.e., by email, regular phone call, or in most cases by text message. It's not foolproof, but provides just enough of a technological hassle for the scammers that they move on to better opportunities.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 12:15:14 AM »
Never give any personal information to someone that calls you.
boop/bop/beep

Offline walrus

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 03:18:27 AM »
This.^

I try to do that also but one call I received the phone said likely scam but the number looked familiar so I answered it and it was an important call that I was expecting. When the scammers spoof your prefix it makes it even harder to know.

I've been called from my own number before. I've had people call me and tell me to stop calling them. Most of the spam calls I get are local numbers. I gave up answering the phone unless I know the number.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 07:36:25 AM »
I answer my cell because of business but can't say I have been scam called much if any.  Lots of vehicle warranty calls though.

Sometimes I will mess with them by dialing 1 and when they pick up, I say, Hi, this is Phil, how may I help you.  Had one guy so flustered that he told me to take him off the call list.  I considered that a WIN :bravo_2:

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 07:38:07 PM »
I never get scam calls. I always wanna have fun with them, buy I don't get them. if I do it's just a computer yelling bat me.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman