Author Topic: My aftershave bottle project (s)  (Read 4013 times)

Offline bonneyman

My aftershave bottle project (s)
« on: March 20, 2021, 06:37:52 PM »
Over at the shaving forum I started a creativity thread to showcase some of my artsy side. One such avenue is taking glass bottles and repurposing them for aftershave use. 
It's not as easy as it sounds! The mechanical work of cleaning and painting glass bottles is no big deal, but coming up with the idea and bringing it to life is harder than I thought. So, it's been a challenge.
Finished my first project today, and thought I'd post over here as well so others could enjoy my work. It'll be something I add to from time to time.

I use alot of Tabasco sauce. So, I accumulate alot of those 5 oz bottles. Figured - with painted caps and colorful homemade labels - I could store some shaving brew in there. Here's the five bottles I've been working with, and how they came out.

Online john k

Re: My aftershave bottle project (s)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 07:17:06 PM »
Alright then.  Havent told anyone till now that I have a thing for Burma Shave memorabilia, and grab shaving mugs when they show up.  Are you the one that was asking about Avon after shave stuff?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 07:23:04 PM »
Well done! Very creative and with an arty eye.  :08:

Where did the brews come from?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 07:39:37 PM »
Alright then.  Havent told anyone till now that I have a thing for Burma Shave memorabilia, and grab shaving mugs when they show up.  Are you the one that was asking about Avon after shave stuff?

10-4 I was looking to get a bottle of each scent just to try them. Now I'm pretty much set for those I like, and using up those I don't.
I have also found out there are many vintage traditional scents that don't appeal to me. Original Old Spice, English Leather, and Aqua Velva aren't me. Original Brut 33 is great, but the new stuff is horrid.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:58:08 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 08:09:36 PM »
Well done! Very creative and with an arty eye.  :08:

Where did the brews come from?

Though I have made several of the scents before, for display purposes these are filled with colored water.

My lime splash smelled great, but disappeared almost immediately. I do have Bay Rum and Smokey homebrews I like, and mix them up when I feel like wearing them. I've found a Sandalwood that is just perfect, but have yet to find an Aquatic that fits. But we're always looking.
Found some fruity splashes that are phenomenal. Banana and peach.  But they are seasonal with the manufacturer.

https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/collections/phoenix-crown-king-aftershave-colognes
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:56:35 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 11:47:12 PM »

10-4 I was looking to get a bottle of each scent just to try them. Now I'm pretty much set for those I like, and using up those I don't.
I have also found out there are many vintage traditional scents that don't appeal to me. Original Old Spice, English Leather, and Aqua Velva aren't me. Original Brut 33 is great, but the new stuff is horrid.
Those are cool, very creative thinking.
If you ever go bottle digging,  I'm sure you could come up with some very cool ones.
I hate the smell English leather.
I also hate wild country, and deep woods.
I think the only vintage Avon scent I've liked was Everest.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:50:31 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 08:56:18 PM »
Neat idea. I I'm a beard guy so I go for beard oils and butters and balms

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 09:17:53 PM »
I have this one old whiskey bottle. It might look good if I gussied it up a bit. All the bumps and lettering on the glass might look neat if the right colored cologne was in it. Here it is filled with some DIY lime A/S.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 06:57:17 PM »
OK gents, I finished my first bottle painting project.  I think it came out OK.

B4 and after.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:59:10 PM by bonneyman »

Online john k

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 10:30:42 PM »
I like that, usually see the car bottles for 2 bucks.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 11:12:35 PM »
Thanks!

it was alot harder than I thought it would be. But I learned a bit. I need a finer brush, a steadier hand, and more patience! I also screwed up, in that I didn't check the color fastness of the paint with the A/S alcohol 40. You always get a little of the splash on your hand and then you handle the bottle. I don't want any brown or tan transferred to my face! So I guess this first bottle will be merely decorative and not used to hold aftershave. Oh well!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 03:06:12 AM »
That looks cool. Let me know where you can get that steadier hand, might need them myself one day :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 02:12:27 PM »
That looks cool. Let me know where you can get that steadier hand, might need them myself one day :))

At that expensive store downtown where there's also clearer eyes, sharper ears, and better memory. The shelf where the classier looks are sold is always empty though!   :lol_hitting:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 02:45:33 PM »
Thanks!

it was alot harder than I thought it would be. But I learned a bit. I need a finer brush, a steadier hand, and more patience! I also screwed up, in that I didn't check the color fastness of the paint with the A/S alcohol 40. You always get a little of the splash on your hand and then you handle the bottle. I don't want any brown or tan transferred to my face! So I guess this first bottle will be merely decorative and not used to hold aftershave. Oh well!

I think you need to put a sealer or clear coat on it that isn't affected by the alcohol.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 06:50:45 PM »
Found another interesting bottle - a 10 ounce lantern that was full of leather aftershave! :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Thinking I should remove the peeling gold paint and perhaps light it from the bottle with an LED base. With all the bumps and indentations I think I might get a mirror ball effect on the ceiling.
Here it is as I got it.