Author Topic: Talk about tool addiction...  (Read 494 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Talk about tool addiction...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 04:31:15 PM »
I have quite a number of metric drill bits and taps, some quite large. I don't recall ever using even one of those.

I  got the metric stuff free in the early 1990's.  At the time I worked for a Cat attachment and machine conversion plant that is now just another Cat plant after they got bought out. Anyway,  at the time, Peoria sent several huge skids of metric drill bits and taps to the plant where I worked in Kansas I think just to unload the stuff. All of it was production quality,  and new. Many of the big bits were still in their cardboard tubes! Anyway,  it sat around for several years until they decided to just scrap the whole lot of them!

Word went out that any employee wanting some of the bits and taps could take what they wanted of the stuff. For my end, I took everything smaller than approximately 1" in every size that I could dig out. I took multiples of the smaller sizes, every different size I could find. All told maybe 60-75lbs of bits and taps, perhaps much more than that!

I  guess I should have tried harder to find applications for them and opportunities to use them.  That was the original plan Anyway. Here I am roughly 32 years later and I don't recall ever using even one of them! LOL
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline oldcarguy

Re: Talk about tool addiction...
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2024, 06:22:52 PM »
You're my kind of man. What's one person's junk, is another's treasure.. I'm have always been on the lookout at actions for so many finds. I have two 115 piece sets of new bright made in the USA drill bit sets purchased that way. Along with three sets of Silver and Demming with 1/2" shanks to 1" Diameter, and two sets with 3/4" shanks up to 2" diameter. Most all my drill bits are USA made. I do have several 29 piece sets from Horrible Freight.. They're in my motor homes and don't worry about trashing them..