Author Topic: AC window unit problems  (Read 3608 times)

Offline m_fumich

AC window unit problems
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:05:33 AM »
We live in an old house with no central air. We just use window AC units. Why does water accumulate in the front part of the unit? There’s no way for me to drain the water without removing it from the window. Is this a malfunction or just the way it is? I don’t recall this ever happening to our air conditioner growing up and we just had one unit for the whole house back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Plomb-er

Re: AC window unit problems
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 12:21:06 AM »
Before getting central in our 105 year old house, we would install our window AC units with a slight tilt back towards the outside so the condensation would drain to the outside. Seems some units have a drain hole and others don't.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 05:42:33 AM »
There is limited ability to do that but the one unit I installed myself is tilted as must as I was able. It’s one of those smaller units so the frame fits directly in the opening of the window. The larger unit was installed by the previous home owner but I’m certain it is tilted to the rear. I’ll double check in a bit.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 07:55:16 AM »
New AC units don't drain as the old units. They have a splash tray built into the bottom to catch some of the condensate and use it to splash the water over the coils to aid in cooling. If the water level gets too high, there is a drain hole, but it is always located at a higher level to make sure that the spalsh tray gets filled with enough water to aid in cooling. The fan itself is used to spray the water over the coils -- that's why you hear the sounds of water being agitated.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »
If water is pooling up front you need more fall to the rear. Like he said new u its dont have drain holes.  They make a pool of water at the condeser and the fan sprays water on the condenser for lower head pressure and bigher efficiency.

Make sure you have fall toward the outside of the house and leave it be. Maybe pull it in the spring and take to the carwash and clean the coils.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
New AC units don't drain as the old units. They have a splash tray built into the bottom to catch some of the condensate and use it to splash the water over the coils to aid in cooling. If the water level gets too high, there is a drain hole, but it is always located at a higher level to make sure that the spalsh tray gets filled with enough water to aid in cooling. The fan itself is used to spray the water over the coils -- that's why you hear the sounds of water being agitated.

10-4 This is one of the ways manufacturers have been able to meet the ever-increasing efficiency standards. Plus they can make the units smaller and more compact because the increased efficiency produced by the evaporating water on the outdoor coil allows them to make the coil smaller. Lower coil pressure means lower compressor amps means a smaller compressor can typically be used as well. These days even a half percent increase in eff can add up.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »
10-4 This is one of the ways manufacturers have been able to meet the ever-increasing efficiency standards. Plus they can make the units smaller and more compact because the increased efficiency produced by the evaporating water on the outdoor coil allows them to make the coil smaller. Lower coil pressure means lower compressor amps means a smaller compressor can typically be used as well. These days even a half percent increase in eff can add up.
Similarly this is why the auto manufacturers have start-stop technology and have roof rails as a dealer-installed option.  They have to meet the fleet mileage standards and even the smallest amount matters over a large sample size.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 06:00:14 PM »

Maybe pull it in the spring and take to the carwash and clean the coils.

Most of our AC units are 5000 BTU or so and cost between $100 and $120. They’re what I call Single Use units. Assuming that cleaning the coil would require the flow of water to go from the backside of the coil and out the front, that would require a bit of disassembly. I’m not opposed to that but disassembly/assembly instructions would be preferred. Only one of our AC units are the larger type that have a separate housing so the functional unit can be removed without effecting the housing.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 09:05:18 PM »

Maybe pull it in the spring and take to the carwash and clean the coils.

Most of our AC units are 5000 BTU or so and cost between $100 and $120. They’re what I call Single Use units. Assuming that cleaning the coil would require the flow of water to go from the backside of the coil and out the front, that would require a bit of disassembly. I’m not opposed to that but disassembly/assembly instructions would be preferred. Only one of our AC units are the larger type that have a separate housing so the functional unit can be removed without effecting the housing.

Take it from the guy who grew up poor (with window units) and then went to ac school.  Doesnt matter which way you spray it out. It WILL help.  But if thats a pain in the rear just take the cover off inside and spray the indoor coil with self rinse coil cleaner. It comes in an aerosol can at lowes. And then wash the ojtside coil with a water hose.

Try not to get the controls wet and give it a couple hours to dry out before you plug it in. No big deal.

Offline m_fumich

AC window unit problems
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 09:21:19 PM »

Try not to get the controls wet and give it a couple hours to dry out before you plug it in. No big deal.

I’ve tried that spray cleaner before and it didn’t work so well. Maybe I did it wrong. I’ve had better luck with a soft bristle paint brush but that didn’t do as good of a job as I wanted. But I was trying to get them clean and get them turned on right away. Once the weather cools off and I’m not using them, I’ll have time to pull them and give them a proper cleaning. Getting the controls wet is my biggest fear.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 09:40:42 PM »

I’ve tried that spray cleaner before and it didn’t work so well. Maybe I did it wrong. I’ve had better luck with a soft bristle paint brush but that didn’t do as good of a job as I wanted. But I was trying to get them clean and get them turned on right away. Once the weather cools off and I’m not using them, I’ll have time to pull them and give them a proper cleaning. Getting the controls wet is my biggest fear.

Not a huge deal. Just cover that stuff with a plastic bag. And as long as its dry before power is applied i wouldnt worry about it.  We pull and clean window shakers all the time. Sometimes i run them to the car wash, other ti.es i use nubrite and a garden hose.  Theres a million ways to skin a cat.