Author Topic: Old socket sets--before WW-II  (Read 6983 times)

Offline coolmercury

Old socket sets--before WW-II
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:35:48 AM »
Thought I would show some of my older socket sets.  This is a Walden Lubrication Set No. 21 from the 1920's.

Offline slip knot

Re: Old socket sets--before WW-II
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »
Wow, that looks in remarkable shape. only one socket looks abused.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 12:57:19 PM »
Nice collection of square plug sockets.   8)

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 09:07:29 PM »
That would be a handy set to have.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:15:36 PM »
The Walden No. 21 set is difficult to complete because the sockets fit only that set.  Here is another old Walden socket set, No. 25 which is from about the same time.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:45:41 PM »
On to the next socket set from before WW-2.  This one is a Walden No. 12 from the end of their pressed steel socket period.  It is also the largest pressed steel socket set they made.  Not many of these around, and better that the one Alloy Artifacts shows as it has a top as well and the paper work showing how the parts can be put together.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:11:15 PM »
While not a socket, Elroy offers this "Bitch Hard" Early Indestro Nut and Tap Wrench from the the 1920's

You may wonder: What exactly is Bitch Hard ??

When Elroy first took possession of this antique, there were a few burs left over from the stamping process. I heard Elroy state in amazement, Son of Bitch that thing is HARD when the file slid off without so much as leaving a mark.

You can see the heat treat colors are still clearly present

The 1" opening on this old soldier performs well on fuel fittings that call for a thin open end. I've watched Elroy use it on several occasions
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:20:32 PM by Elroy »

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »
Another socket set from the early 1900's with an interesting picture pressed into the inside of the top.  This one is from Bay State Tools and is called the Bay State Autokit.  Note the ratchet reverses and is on a swivel.  I believe it is complete, but I don't know as I have yet to see another.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 06:59:42 PM »
Really cool set. I like!

I guess the pic depicts and early cat converter.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 07:07:38 AM »
I believe it is complete, but I don't know as I have yet to see another.

Elroy trusts you're aware of the "alloy" ;

http://alloy-artifacts.org/bay-state-tool.html

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 07:41:25 AM »
Elroy----Last time I checked Alloy Artifacts ( the bay state information didn't list the autokit)  That was a few years ago.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 03:58:36 PM »
Another Walden socket set, this one is a No. 27 and one not listed in Alloy Artifacts except for a catalog listing of the contents.  This one is complete.  This was their largest set in a wood box except the No. 12 which was pressed steel.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 04:44:42 PM »
Here is something a little more modern, a Bog Tool Co. 1/2" drive socket set from the 1930's.  The ratchet was patented in 1932.  Note the second set of sockets which are 8 point.  They were still serving the square nut needs at that time.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
On to the next socket set from before WW-2.  This one is a Walden No. 12 from the end of their pressed steel socket period.  It is also the largest pressed steel socket set they made.  Not many of these around, and better that the one Alloy Artifacts shows as it has a top as well and the paper work showing how the parts can be put together.

Ooooh, I want to make a ratchet like the one in that set! Some heavy wire and a waterwheel drive gear - I think I could do it!  :D

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »
Alloy Artifacts does not list this manufacturer of socket sets ( well, they only made two) but L. S. Starrett Co. is not someone that is easy to forget.  This set dates to the 1920's and is complete including the drill attachment.  The drive tools are all case hardened.  The sockets are all marked Starrett with an S in a circle.  The sockets are very hard to find, as Starrett didn't make that many sets.  However, if you are ever looking through a bunch of pressed steel sockets and see one with an S in a circle you have come across a Starrett socket.  This set is No. 443-A which includes the drill attachment, set No. 443-B does not (more on the drill attachment later).