Author Topic: Unearthed a vintage Blackhawk 34997-1 Flex Head Ratchet at the dirt market  (Read 7792 times)

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
Gang,

Think 3/8 drive flex head, 11" long, 60-tooth round head, knurled handle, 1951 patent stamping, and it works.  It has moderate chrome wear but no rust.  Someone must have loved this ratchet.  It will require a scrub and lube to pass my inspection though.

Photo's:

Bonus Pic: Tiny Anvil I dug up at dirt market...

PS--  Does anyone have any Blackhawk catalogs between 1952 and 1965?

PSS-- Does anyone know if Todd's site is working?  Got a link to his site?             
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:28:47 AM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

Last I heard Todd was having some sort of problem with his site and was working on it.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
The name Blackhawk got my attention. Looking forward to pix.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bmwrd0

I am looking forward to Lauvers Dirt Market posting returning. I always loved those.

Interested in the Blackhawk also.

Offline bmwrd0

This should help Gary:

https://archive.org/details/BlackhawkCatalogNoW1011953

You can get more if you go to the link at the of General discussion under Catalog Bonanza!

Interestingly, this note was with it "This was found on the site Papaws Wrench, contributed by member "lbgradewell", thank you."

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
Gang,

Just re-updated after additional catalog research.

My original date guess was based on the patent issue date of 1951. 

I have since checked a slew of catalogs.  Here's what I found:

1943 Blackhawk Cat-- found a ratchet 34998; this ratchet matches most of the features of my ratchet except it was not a flex-head and was shorter.  The basic architecture was the same.

1953 Blackhawk Cat.-- found no ratchets similar to mine and no model numbers even close.

1955 New Britain Cat.--found no ratchets similar to mine and no model numbers even close. NB acquired Blackhawk mid-year.

1959 New Britain Cat.-- found NB-44 RH ratchet 60 tooth Blackhawk-patented mechanism.  Getting close

1963 New Britain Cat.-- Blackhawk brand now Under New Britain Machine Co ownership & operation, found my ratchet.  So, it looks like my initial date estimate was off by at least a decade.  The good news, now I have a documented starting point, plus or minus a few years.

So, this means Blackhawk, the company, never made it to market with their newly patented design.  This new design (pat. 2,554,990) was finally brought to market by New Britain sometime between 1959 and 1963.  Here's the neat thing about this particular Kilness design.  Not only does it have a 60-tooth ring gear, but it also sported a pawl with 12 teeth of engagement.  This was unheard of in 1949/1951 when the patent was submitted/issued.  And, I dug one of these ratchets up in Belton TX 70 years later, in working order.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:36:14 PM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

Gang,

Just an update after a quick but spotty catalog search.

My original date guess was based on the patent issue date of 1951. 

I have since checked a few catalogs.  Here's what I found:

1943 Cat-- found a ratchet 34998; this ratchet matches all the features of my ratchet except it was not a flex-head and was shorter.  The basic architecture was the same.

1953 Cat-- found no ratchets similar to mine and no model numbers even close.

1963 Cat-- Under New Britain Machine Co ownership, found my ratchet.  So, it looks like my initial date estimate was off by at least a decade.  The good news, now I have a documented starting point, plus or minus a few years.

I get that too sometimes. I call it a "senior moment"!  :))

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
the ratchet is nice but that little anvil is a dandy!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
That looks a lot like a ratchet sold with the Champion name. I had a Champion II which was the same save the handle was bent thatey were sold as spark plug ratchets.

I can say mine was used a lot and it was a great piece.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

Nice ratchet. IIRC I have that one in a New Britain name. 

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Unearthed a vintage Blackhawk 34997-1 Flex Head Ratchet at the dirt market
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 09:02:19 PM »
What did those finds set you back, Gary?
boop/bop/beep

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 10:09:58 PM »
bman,

I have so many senior moments it's hard to keep track of them.  But, in this case, the picture has changed, now that I've filled in the catalog data.  I think I have a reasonable representation of how and when my ratchet came to be.  If I get lucky and find a few more catalogs in the mid to late 1960's I may be able to figure out how long this ratchet survived.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 10:19:03 PM »

I am looking forward to Lauvers Dirt Market posting returning. I always loved those

Interested in the Blackhawk also.

bmwrd0,

I've missed these postings as well.  Unfortunately, my local dirt market has been playing out (mining term), and I was unable to post photos for a long time.
But, looking forward, if things pickup at the dirt market, I will gladly resurrect my old thread.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 10:32:27 PM »

What did those finds set you back, Gary?

Lookin4,

The little anvil was $5.  The ratchet was $7.  Not my best day at the mine, but these particular items rarely turn up anywhere in my area. 

On the up side, I did score a Slime tire pressure gauge for fifty cents  :-\

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 03:27:21 PM »
Hi Gary!!
Here's a N.B. same style probably newer.

Chuck
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 03:29:51 PM »
A couple more, and it's a Kili but only 45 tooth.

Chuck
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 11:46:28 PM »
Hofferwood,

Thanks for posting up your NB ratchet.  It is a later NB version of my ratchet.  And, a very nice looking one at that.

Do you still use this ratchet?  If so, what are your observations on the NB 55?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:28:34 PM by lauver »