Author Topic: Craftsman Permanex® ratchet cases  (Read 4935 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Craftsman Permanex® ratchet cases
« on: January 24, 2019, 11:48:49 PM »
Does anyone have a WAG when these may have been introduced ?

the flying V 3/8 ratchet set Ive got coming comes in a crown logo Permanex case , but Slipknot had to throw a wrench in the gears and mention the case was newer that the ratchet without an explanation  :-X ( an opportunity to try and learn something I guess )
The ratchets were produced from 1951-1966 as far as I've read , and the Crown logo was produced from 1960-1973 so it's certainly possible that the ratchet came in this case and I never would've questioned it but now it's going to but the hell out of me till I get an answer.

I don't know that this has been explored before so it could be a good thread to have around here.

Any information will be greatly appreciated  O:-)
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Craftsman Permanex® ratchet cases
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »
Sets scheduled to arrive today, so either this afternoon or tomorrow I'll have more pics that I didn't get from the eBay seller.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
That box was still being sold into the early 80s at least. I hated those plastic boxes, took up way too much space.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 10:17:01 PM »
That box was still being sold into the early 80s at least. I hated those plastic boxes, took up way too much space.
Even with the crown logo ?

I'm a steel box guy all the way, but I can at least say that this box isn't nearly as bulky as modern ones where every single piece has its own separate space.

All I really care about is the tools inside, but I'll use the case until I decide to start looking for a steel box to put everything in.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:54:37 AM »
I found another flying V 3/8 set on eBay in a very similar Crown logo Permanex case, this other one having more of an actual hinge.
They seem to be the same 15pc set, mine missing the original 3" extension and this other missing it's spark plug and socket.

What are the odds two examples of the same set ended up with Flying V ratchets in them that don't belong ?

With this and the fact that other ratchets of the era are coming in this case with a logo of the era I'm going to go out on a limb and call this case original, until I get confirmation otherwise.

And before you ask, even though both pics were taken on a white towel they're not the same seller as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:06:37 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 01:28:54 PM »
Got confirmation that Permanex was first seen in a '69 catalog, so the ratchet doesn't belong after all.

Now that I know this I can seek out one of those cool old steel boxes, not sure if an intact red insert would still be durable enough after all these years for a user set today though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 04:06:20 PM »
its an old socket set, it is not like it is pristine or unused. such sets are seldom if ever completely original. the pieces all reasonably match. use em and don't worry about it.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 04:54:56 PM »
its an old socket set, it is not like it is pristine or unused. such sets are seldom if ever completely original. the pieces all reasonably match. use em and don't worry about it.
For sure.
I just don't the really like the box all that much but was going to stick with it if original to the set, knowing it doesn't belong I can seek out something else to put it in.

This Challenger 1/4dr box JAFE sent me for my main 1/4 set is 7x3.5 and this set fits perfectly in it, plus a universal I had.

If I can find another box this size or slightly larger I can paint it grey on the outside, red on the inside , and be a happy camper.
The Permanex box just takes up too much  room in my toolbox.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:13:19 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 09:01:53 PM »
The Permanex partial set I found at an estate sale on Friday had VV sockets. They looked like they were original to the box. I filled in the drive tools with V or VV tools except I added a G 5/8” spark plug socket to make the set more useful. I think it should have a u-joint.
-Don

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »
The Permanex partial set I found at an estate sale on Friday had VV sockets. They looked like they were original to the box. I filled in the drive tools with V or VV tools except I added a G 5/8” spark plug socket to make the set more useful. I think it should have a u-joint.
-Don
Interesting, thanks for posting.
Always lookin' to learn