Author Topic: 2-2-19 flea market grab and a question...  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Davethorik

2-2-19 flea market grab and a question...
« on: February 03, 2019, 05:39:56 PM »
Unplanned flea market stop yesterday. I think the wind chill was turning my brain into ice, so I didn't stay long. Here's what I did manage to bring home.

Stanley 32oz lineman's straight claw hammer, Vlchek empty socket box guessing for 3/8. Plvmb short 1/2 extension, very old Wright single open end thin wrench 15/16 OP, 5/8 SAE. Wright 10" adjustable of unknown manufacture. Utica 8" Select-O-Lock adjustable. Unused Indestro Super 15/16" combo, Jorgensen 6" c-clamp.

Personally stoked about the hammer, that's one off the list.

Does anyone have a clue who made this adjustable for Wright? I have a theory who it was, but it's basically just a guess (Pexto) as that teardrop shaped hanging hole isn't very common.

Offline Davethorik

Re: 2-2-19 flea market grab and a question...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 06:34:08 PM »
In this group shot you can make out the stamping.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 07:21:37 PM »
That's a nice lil grab there.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 08:33:49 PM »
If you zoom in on that last picture, head of the Wright adjustable in question. A previous owner stamped it J.A.B. I knew you'd respond! Lol

Edit: forgot to post, the head is thick like carbon steel adjustables.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 08:41:01 PM by Davethorik »

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 02:47:40 PM »
Obviously a man of taste and style. :))
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »
I like that linesmans hammer, a wire wheel with some care and a little blo for the haft and It'll be a beautiful tool.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:57:20 PM »
I have been on the lookout for this type of hammer for a while now, they sure aren't common in these parts (Ohio). Pretty sure Stanley discontinued them. The only maker to offer them new (that I'm aware of) is Vaughan, who private labels them for Klein as well.

It's tricky to search because there are also lineman's hammers, which are heavier with a compact head having 2 flat faces, like a ball pein with the ball side removed and another standard flat face substituted. Mine is a "lineman's straight claw hammer", what a mouthful.

It was a nice surprise to find this Stanley cheap used, I was probably going to buy a Vaughan. Saved myself a few $$.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »
I have been on the lookout for this type of hammer for a while now, they sure aren't common in these parts (Ohio). Pretty sure Stanley discontinued them. The only maker to offer them new (that I'm aware of) is Vaughan, who private labels them for Klein as well.

It's tricky to search because there are also lineman's hammers, which are heavier with a compact head having 2 flat faces, like a ball pein with the ball side removed and another standard flat face substituted. Mine is a "lineman's straight claw hammer", what a mouthful.

It was a nice surprise to find this Stanley cheap used, I was probably going to buy a Vaughan. Saved myself a few $$.
Would've been an excellent tool if you had, but of course a vintage tool with patina looks so much nicer than a new one.
Always lookin' to learn