Author Topic: I've got a Craftsman question  (Read 4981 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I've got a Craftsman question
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:29 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there were shallow 12pt 13/16 =V= sockets in 3/8 drive.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

Re: I've got a Craftsman question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:26:38 PM »
I'm not exactly sure the years the =V= tools were sold. In a 1974/1975 catalog they did have that socket available. I do have a =V= 3/8dr deep 13/16 12 pt socket. The only shallow 3/8dr 12pt 13/16 sockets I have are -V- and later.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »
I'm not exactly sure the years the =V= tools were sold. In a 1974/1975 catalog they did have that socket available. I do have a =V= 3/8dr deep 13/16 12 pt socket. The only shallow 3/8dr 12pt 13/16 sockets I have are -V- and later.
Thanks for the reply.
I guess now I've just gotta find out when the =V= was used.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
It looks like the answer is probably no.

A google search turns up a GG post stating that they switched to the -v- stamp in '66/'67, the post wasn't made by Lauver so I don't know if the info is correct.
 I do know that they still weren't available in the '68 catalog scan I found , and that they did appear in the '72/'73 scan I found.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 03:35:10 PM »
I'd say using a 13/16" in 3/8" drive with any real torque is probably overstressing the drive tool. Perhaps a breaker bar would be OK, but I wouldn't want to put a good ratchet on that.

To me, I place a limit on the socket size to double the drive size. (If I need a size larger, I go to the next drive size).
So, a 1/4" ratchet shouldn't be really pushed past 1/2". I know there are 5/8" sockets for 1/4" drive but I can't see where I'd be limited to 1/4" drive.
With 3/8" - 3/4" would be as big as I go.
Though with 1/2" drive and up I think you could extend that upper limit a bit and be OK, as by then the steel knuckle is getting pretty thick and it survives torture better. Especially with a cheater bar.

Just my opinion. ^-^

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 12:00:57 AM »
I'd say using a 13/16" in 3/8" drive with any real torque is probably overstressing the drive tool. Perhaps a breaker bar would be OK, but I wouldn't want to put a good ratchet on that.

To me, I place a limit on the socket size to double the drive size. (If I need a size larger, I go to the next drive size).
So, a 1/4" ratchet shouldn't be really pushed past 1/2". I know there are 5/8" sockets for 1/4" drive but I can't see where I'd be limited to 1/4" drive.
Though with 1/2" drive and up I think you could extend that upper limit a bit and be OK, as by then the steel knuckle is getting pretty thick and it survives torture better. Especially with a cheater bar.

Just my opinion. ^-^
You make a good point, and maybe there's a good reason these sets stopped at 11/16 back then.

I'm building a larger set around my 3/8 proto flex head anyways, so I'll put the =V= sockets back and the G codes will go in the larger set.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »

Just my opinion. ^-^
You make a good point, and maybe there's a good reason these sets stopped at 11/16 back then.

I'm building a larger set around my 3/8 proto flex head anyways, so I'll put the =V= sockets back and the G codes will go in the larger set.

Funny side note - I always thought it was odd that 3/8" drive standard ratchets were only about 7-8 inches long. Figured it was a handle strength or stress on the pawls thing. Then the same brand comes out with a 10-11 inch long 3/8" rat - and many of those are flex! (It is with my Bonney -702K ratchets). Say what? So is the standard length over built?  ::)

So, I wonder what the REAL facts are about our discussion?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:10:57 AM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »

Just my opinion. ^-^

Funny side note - I always thought it was odd that 3/8" drive standard ratchets were only about 7-8 inches long. Figured it was a handle strength or stress on the pawls thing. Then the same brand comes out with a 10-11 inch long 3/8" rat - and many of those are flex! (It is with my Bonney -702K ratchets). Say what? So is the standard length over built?  ::)

So, I wonder what the REAL facts are about our discussion?
I wonder as well.

Any I've seen were kind of just stretched out and not proportionally scaled up much like my proto seems to be.
Maybe the standard ratchets are overbuilt, or maybe the manufacturer would just rather just give you 4 more inches of handle then have you using a long cheater bar.

I'll bet AVE on YouTube is set up to test just how much torque those extra inches are giving you, in fact I know he is because he's got a rig he made to test ratchets periodically.
Always lookin' to learn