Author Topic: 1/4 Drive Sets  (Read 217922 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: 1/4 Drive Sets
« Reply #525 on: November 09, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
Never seen the Firestone tool before. very cool.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #526 on: November 09, 2018, 10:58:36 PM »
The black bands are my all time favorite socket and in my mind very desirable. Beautiful set looks completely unused.

I have a 1/4 and 3/8 shallow six point sets and miscellaneous single pieces.

I like these too. I only have this set and a 3/8" swallow set that's part of my "grab and go" metric box.

They don't seem to be very common though. Pretty sure Snap-on was producing way more SAE products versus metric during the time these were manufactured.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I do try... ;D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #527 on: November 09, 2018, 11:49:21 PM »
The black bands were a 70's feature. First show up in the 73 catalog and last appearance was the 78 catalog. In the 79 catalog metric sockets had the double knurled bands they still wear. The black bands were neat but must have been expensive to make. After chroming the band areas were ground down to remove the fresh chrome and then the socket went through the process used to put the black oxide finish on.

The 70's saw a surge of "foreign" (read metric sized) imports. Volkswagen sales went sky high as did all the German marques but VW alone was probably responsable for a huge percentage of the metric stuff sold. I believe metric fasteners started showing up on American vehicles about 78 or 79 but Snap-on still segregated the inch and metric sized tools in the catalog.

I used to take my black bands to the pick a part until one day I dropped a small black band under a car. I kind of panicked and hunted that socket for almost an hour but finally found it. I figured if it was worth an hour of looking getting a set of junk yard sockets made more sense.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #528 on: November 10, 2018, 06:13:56 AM »
Thanks for that. I’ll take a look at my metric SO 3/8” drive sockets. It seems to me that I bought them in that time frame. I didn’t know that the black bands were rare. I am really enjoying seeing these great 1/4” drive sets from CRTDI and others. Here is a 1/4” drive partial Kraeuter set probably made by S-K. It is missing the ratchet with the uncomfortable beam handle.
-Don
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:21:04 AM by d42jeep »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #529 on: November 10, 2018, 12:51:44 PM »
I believe that was SK made. For some reason I am under the impression all the drive stuff branded Kraeuter was SK. I'm not sure how the time line with Brazil worked.

Not sure I'd call the black bands rare but they're not common especially ones in decent shape. The flex sockets though are very hard to find.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #530 on: November 11, 2018, 12:28:14 AM »
My lone (Cruiser808 inspired) late 40s to early 50s ? Fleet set. Very tough time finding the pieces for this set. I believe I started out with the driver and maybe four sockets.

The biggest problem with finding the correct pieces, is that none of them are actually marked as Fleet. They are all marked with a P- prefix and model number only. The final pieces (might still be missing a couple) were surprisingly found in a vintage Artcraft (Pepboys) set where the original box and decal were way to far gone to even try to salvage.

The 1/4 x 3/8 adapter is a Proto L.A. piece.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #531 on: November 11, 2018, 01:01:17 AM »
That is amazing. Some magnificent sets you guys have.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #532 on: November 15, 2018, 05:18:23 PM »
Dunlap box with a no name 1/4" hex set and some pretty decent Dunlap ignition wrenches. Don't really know came in this box originally.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #533 on: November 15, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »
Stahlwille metric set.

Couple of pics with a similar styled handle flex magnetic pick-up tool.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #534 on: November 15, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
Digging the little Stahlwille ratchet.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #535 on: November 15, 2018, 11:35:18 PM »
Nice little set. Quite nice. It's interesting I have what looks like the twin of that ratchet but it's Hazet. The bottom plate is black oxide and the selector switch is different but the resemblance is uncanny.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #536 on: November 16, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
British  B. A. hex set.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #537 on: November 18, 2018, 12:46:44 AM »
Williams NM-8 set.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: November 18, 2018, 01:40:14 AM »
Quite a jewel for the collection. Really exemplary example.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #539 on: November 18, 2018, 01:48:08 PM »
Now that Williams set is mind-blowing, thanks for sharing it.
Always lookin' to learn