Author Topic: I need some help.  (Read 9557 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I need some help.
« on: February 24, 2019, 09:49:46 PM »
eBay got me again.
This was $49 shipped and I just bought it( others have gone for a lot more ) it's a little beat up on the outside but pretty clean inside so I'm sure I can work with it.

I did not actually need it so naturally I'm not sure what I'll be doing doing with it, I also don't really know it's dimensions.

If anyone has one I'd like some dimensions so I can decide what I can do with it, I don't really know much about it other than that it's a Mac 1/4dr box and it really interested me.
I'm thinking maybe a 1/4 set up top and a few small basic tools in the bottom , but this was definitely an impulse buy for sure.
Man I've really gotta lay off the eBay purchasing for a while.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:51:59 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: I need some help.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 11:22:09 PM »
Those are really nice. I have been wanting one for a long time. Well done.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:33:45 PM »
Those are really nice. I have been wanting one for a long time. Well done.
Thanks I knew I wanted it the second I saw it, I didn't know I was gonna buy it though.
My first thoughts are to take some hot soapy water to it, straighten the slight bend in the top, and just keep it honest. I'll decide whenever it arrives of course.

There's another one on the bay right know for $50 something + shipping but that seems a bit steep to me.
 I did just pay less for one though,  there's no telling if I would have payed that for it otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:36:28 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 11:53:22 PM »
You did quite well.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:02:05 AM »
You did quite well.

There's a website called 2040 parts.com that has one in much better condition for $15 but I've never heard of this website, I'm happy with what I payed either way.
Might be worth a look if you're really interested, that is of course if you do any online shopping.

In googling them to learn the size which I found out is about 8x4 I saw pictures of a number of nice ones, and it has me thinking about repainting the outside.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:14:20 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:22:08 AM »
I'm under the impression it was a box for 1/4 drive sets.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:42:17 AM »
I'm under the impression it was a box for 1/4 drive sets.
This one was listed as for a 1/4dr set, and from what I understand they were available from Mac and matco with 1/4 drive sets as well as ignition sets in them.

One could make a fairly inclusive compact little set around one of these and I think I can come up with something with some real capability if I try.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 10:11:10 AM »
That's a nice box and would work good for your bicycle tools if they will fit in it.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
Mac Tools MB-1 ignition tool box.
Mines older, has a Mac decal and different drawer pull. I found it listed in an old Mac catalog scan.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Mines older, has a Mac decal and different drawer pull. I found it listed in an old Mac catalog scan.
Very cool, thanks.

I knew what I was buying was fairly small, but they sure do look deeper than 2" in pictures
It's just one of those things where you never really know until you've got it in hand.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 05:32:47 PM »
Very cool, thanks.

I knew what I was buying was fairly small, but they sure do look deeper than 2" in pictures
It's just one of those things where you never really know until you've got it in hand.

It is a cute little box. Mine had so much grease on it there is no rust, but patina for days. I keep a number of small tools in my desk for inside work and they may go in there.

I got mine on CL, seller had a bunch of stuff for sale. Mostly junk minus a handful of old Mac stuff. You could just barely see this on his work bench under something else, in the background of 1 photo. I asked him what it was and he had a mishmash 1/4 set in the top, then a couple hex keys, a 6" adjustable, a small pair of needlenose, and some hardware in the drawer. Nothing great but he wanted $50 for everything. He had a 1" & 15/16"  Mac DBE for $20. Misc 3/8 and 1/2 socket onesies for $10/ea :rolleyes:

However for just the box he named such a low number I think my arm broke the sound barrier opening my wallet. I haven't seen another old one like mine yet, I have seen a few like yours at swaps/fleas, and all over the interwebs.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 06:55:53 PM »
Very cool, thanks.

It is a cute little box. Mine had so much grease on it there is no rust, but patina for days. I keep a number of small tools in my desk for inside work and they may go in there.

I got mine on CL, seller had a bunch of stuff for sale. Mostly junk minus a handful of old Mac stuff. You could just barely see this on his work bench under something else, in the background of 1 photo. I asked him what it was and he had a mishmash 1/4 set in the top, then a couple hex keys, a 6" adjustable, a small pair of needlenose, and some hardware in the drawer. Nothing great but he wanted $50 for everything. He had a 1" & 15/16"  Mac DBE for $20. Misc 3/8 and 1/2 socket onesies for $10/ea :rolleyes:

However for just the box he named such a low number I think my arm broke the sound barrier opening my wallet. I haven't seen another old one like mine yet, I have seen a few like yours at swaps/fleas, and all over the interwebs.
Sounds like a good idea.
I've already got some idea about what I might put in it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »
Looks like a great little kit box. I like shit like that.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »
i have a box like that with 1/4 drive stuff. i need to take some pics of it.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
i have a box like that with 1/4 drive stuff. i need to take some pics of it.
Definitely, I'd love to see whatcha got.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 11:10:15 PM »

I think a lot of people do, that's why that stuff is so expensive!  :-\
boop/bop/beep

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 12:26:11 AM »

I think a lot of people do, that's why that stuff is so expensive!  :-\
$49 shipped isn't exactly cheap for a little 1/4 box, but it was the cheapest of 3 listed on eBay which helps me justify it  :)

I think a lot of people probably just think these are a cool little box regardless of the pedigree, some company like liberty steel who mostly makes things like petty cash boxes could do really well on these.
Always lookin' to learn