Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 687127 times)

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #840 on: June 16, 2019, 12:42:54 PM »
Got home from somewhere, and this little Carolina Wren sat and chastised me for not having birdseed on the stump ! More brightly colored than most wrens, and with a rich musical song, Carolina Wrens are common in open woods and backyards in the southeast. There they busily explore brushpiles and low tangles. The adults live in pairs all year, and they may "duet" at any season, with the female giving a chattering note while the male sings.

Carolina Wren by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #841 on: June 16, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
Very nice shot Papaw. The wife and I were sitting in the garage having morning coffee when a pair of quail with over a dozen babies hurried across the driveway. I saw why they were in such a rush when a blue jay landed on a fence post and started eating a baby quail it had grabbed. The darn blue jays are always trying to raid the robin nests but that is nature in action.

Offline muddy

« Reply #842 on: June 16, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »
(Yesterday) went for a ride

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline walrus

« Reply #843 on: June 24, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »
Had an exhaust leak into the Mustang. No holes so where is it coming from? Put masking tape on trunk gap to seal it off. Better, so I ordered a new gasket/weatherstrip/ rubber molding.... 10 bucks, made in the USA. Scrape the old one off, 3M weatherstrip glue on molding and trunk lip. Much better in car now. Only time it gets you now is at traffic light or stop sign and windows down. Thing is a wee bit rich at idle  :D

Offline Rural53

« Reply #844 on: June 29, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »
Bay Rodders annual Automotive Parts Swap & Vehicle Display today. The highlight for me was this 1926 Model A (at least that is what it is registered as).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #845 on: June 29, 2019, 05:41:18 PM »
And for those who can't be bothered walking up the five floors of displays in the parking building.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #846 on: June 30, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
Just got back from a week in Atlanta. Was there for an advanced SCADA course. The course was pretty challenging for this old dog trying to learn new tricks.   

I was hoping to meet up with Pepi on this trip but between the class work and keeping the minion out of trouble it just didn't work out.

I did find a real rarity in a little place close to the training. NorcrossGa has a historical downtown district. real nice place with lots of eating spots and such. AND a real old school parts house. with the 5ft long counter book and all. it was closed when i was there but it is a working parts house.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #847 on: June 30, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »
All I did was work, but I did find a $20 while sweeping the parking lot this morning.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #848 on: June 30, 2019, 07:37:41 PM »
Picked this up on Friday, so between chores (furniture repair and shuffling about) I am trying to learn the ins and outs.

Offline muddy

« Reply #849 on: July 01, 2019, 09:44:04 PM »
Picked this up on Friday, so between chores (furniture repair and shuffling about) I am trying to learn the ins and outs.

I think your missing some things...

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #850 on: July 01, 2019, 10:12:58 PM »
Did our switch-over from evap cooling to air conditioning today. The last two days have just been terrible with temps of 109 and higher humidity, making the evap worse than useless. I usually switch over on the Independence Day weekend, so, I'm about on track.
One thing we miss without the cooler is we water our trees with the bleed-off. helps keep the mineral deposits down in the cooler, and we're not wasting the water down the drain. We have 100' of 1/4" PVC tubing that we move between the three trees during the week to give them each a watering. With the cooler disconnected, no more tree watering. And they need it.

So I rigged up a separate poly tube going to the water valve that normally goes to the cooler, and have it on a tribble flow to keep our trees alive. Once the monsoon rains start in earnest I can discontinue this stop-gate measure.
Nice getting out there and doing what I'm trained to do. makes me feel like I had a purpose today.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #851 on: July 01, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »

Ooooh, an electro-welded tubed Schwinn! Heavy as hell but made in America and durable. Worthy of the lifetime guarantee. They bought steel plate, cut it into strips, bent them semicircular into concave sections, and welded them together to make the tubes. Then they cut and welded the tubes together to make frames. Very unique!

The wheels if I'm not mistaken were a specialty size made especially for Schwinn. Normal 26" tires won't fit them. (Though I think you can swap out to a pair of normal 26" entire wheels and they work fine. Though the bike will not be all-original. If that matters to you).

Check out this guys discussion here for more details:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chicago-schwinns.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:20:04 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #852 on: July 02, 2019, 12:56:49 PM »

I think your missing some things...

It came with a full set of wheels, but they were mismatched and not quite the right ones. I think they were more valuable than the rest as I am pretty sure they are from a '50s Hornet. I will need to look into it some more.

B-man, most any BMX bicycle wheels will fit as they are 24" but a 26" won't as there is not enough clearance. The correct wheels are really rare though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:59:31 PM by bmwrd0 »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #853 on: July 05, 2019, 04:39:32 PM »
Spent the day dealing with the bureaucratic idiocy we call the drivers license office. My 91 yr old buddy's drivers license is up for renewal. He hasn't drove in years so we were just going to get him an ID. We had his current DL, his SS card and the paperwork they had mailed him, but NOOOO they need to see his birth certificate to prove he's a US citizen and two documents with his name and address on them. I show the lady his State issued drivers license and the renewal notice they sent him all had the same address. he's lived the 50+ yrs.  No dice. Come back with all the documentation and yes he has to come again too. even tho he's on a walker he has to make the return trip also. As calmly as I could I asked who I needed to talk to to make a complaint. Well it seems like my State Representative has an office here but they aren't open and I cant find a schedule of when they are open..... Left a message on the machine for her to call me back.

So I stopped b the liquor store on the way home. ;D

Offline slip knot

« Reply #854 on: July 05, 2019, 11:54:18 PM »
Bumper crop of mustang grapes. Got a new batch of grape ape going in the fermenter.  ;D ;D