Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 670326 times)

Offline fatfillup

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #780 on: May 09, 2019, 08:25:12 AM »
Hopefully a couple of those conexs are in my future.   I have a need for more storage

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #781 on: May 09, 2019, 10:04:34 AM »
I didn't haul any swag from the show. It was slim pickings from the companies. I was hoping for a handful of trial endmills or a flap disc or something. Still fun to see some of the latest and maybe greatest. I'd like to plan for Westech one of these years to see a bigger variety. 

Okuma didn't have a machine or booth which was a disappointment. They have a high grade, reasonably priced (100-125K) machine that I'd seriously consider over the standard VF2/VF3 Haas for a job shop startup. Nothing against Haas. They have done a pretty good job breaking their old schit reputation and their pricing/financing is perfect for entry level. Lots of homework for me to do while I formulate a plan.

Greyson

Offline gtermini

« Reply #782 on: May 11, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »
Got the conex unloaded off the trailer and set in position. Went smoothly. Hung the front from the gantry by short-chaining it while I had the trailer tongue jacked up. Then lifted the rear with the forklift and pulled the rig out from underneath. I didn't get enough lift on the front to account for the suspension unloading and had to let the air out of the trailer tires to gain enough clearance to drag it free. Lost a valve stem in the process, but otherwise casualty free.

I had figured on having a container delivered before I found this one, so I had made up a set of quick-attach wheels that twist lock into the corner pockets. They were handy for maneuvering it around to exactly where I wanted it. They are a shameless ripoff of an Aussie design I found online, but couldn't find them to buy anywhere in this hemisphere.

Ones I copied

Spent more time moving other junk out of the way and putting it back than anything else. It was a nice day to play in the yard. Light breeze and 75. Not typical May weather for us, as it's usually raining buckets.

Greyson

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #783 on: May 11, 2019, 11:05:56 PM »
 I've been without a bathroom door for about 15 years now, yep that's right Hicks like us just used a curtain for the past decade and a half.

Well my uncle recently bought a property and has been renovating the house, they're replacing the doors and gave us a couple of the old ones.
They're not very old and are in good shape so I don't know why he felt the need to replace them but whatever.

Anyways I had some time after work to get it installed, it took some finagling to get it mounted and my handy work to the inlet the new hinge positions and stuff isn't pretty but it's functional.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:07:16 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #784 on: May 12, 2019, 09:14:26 AM »
Odds & ends, after getting the grinder set up, went back to work on the belt sander mod. I raised the platen several inches so the work piece will clear a boss on the right side of the transport.

Reason for this when rounding corners. I must to flip the work piece to get the other end. The problem in doing that is the corners are hard to duplicate. The last part of the platen mod I can knock out today. It will have a 2 position hard adjustment 90* & 45*, the most common.

Always one more thing,  hoist it into the air and cut the casters off, they are awful. Also the platen being 6 inches higher it occurred to me, what goes up must come down.  That will be next, also need to take a trip over to the LWS, need shielding gas for both welders. Tig is almost empty, mig down but not out, so swap both.

Pep
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:16:36 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #785 on: May 12, 2019, 12:22:03 PM »
Just finished burning my weed piles as today is the last day of the spring burn. I just love gathering all the tumbleweeds and tumbling mustard that blows over the fence from other properties. The retired dentist who lives behind me told me the other day that he will not be spraying any weeds this year on his 5 acres. He said that roundup is too dangerous to use as it causes cancer. I will tempt fate starting tomorrow and spray my nuclear mix of glysophate and 2-4-D on the property. I will try really hard to avoid spraying too far through the fence onto his property. ::)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #786 on: May 12, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »
Just finished burning my weed piles as today is the last day of the spring burn. I just love gathering all the tumbleweeds and tumbling mustard that blows over the fence from other properties. The retired dentist who lives behind me told me the other day that he will not be spraying any weeds this year on his 5 acres. He said that roundup is too dangerous to use as it causes cancer. I will tempt fate starting tomorrow and spray my nuclear mix of glysophate and 2-4-D on the property. I will try really hard to avoid spraying too far through the fence onto his property. ::)

Did I see a wink ....? Tell the dentist that his shadow is lurking and he needs to stay inside.

Just love the folks that soak that crap up.... ten years from now, roundup will be deemed safe and a new condiment for stakes.

Remember bran muffins ............ love another 3000 years eating them.... tens later, OH just kidding... no affect   

Pep

Offline gtermini

« Reply #787 on: May 12, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »
Phenoxies(2-4-D, MCPA Class Act) work well, but heat and wind drift are a big danger to trees and bushes you want to keep. Not suggesting it, but a band of strong mix phenoxies and no stick-em (oil, diesel, whatever you use) put along his fence line with a brisk breeze headed his way, will do a fantastic job cleaning the area up.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #788 on: May 12, 2019, 07:38:50 PM »
Spent the day with the wife, just wandering around town and talking about new plants to put in. Then finally took down the front storm windows.

Now I am drinking beer! Might finish off the 6x48 belt sander later or keep working on the power hacksaw I got from Greyson.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #789 on: May 12, 2019, 08:48:40 PM »
What I'm going to do later today. Knock off work early and cut the tree that blew over last night off my car.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:55:58 PM by Rural53 »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #790 on: May 12, 2019, 09:26:19 PM »
wow, hope the car wasn't damaged too badly.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #791 on: May 12, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »
wow, hope the car wasn't damaged too badly.
So do I. I walked around the corner, said some swear words, decided I'd deal with it later, walked around the other side of the house, hopped into my ute and went to work.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #792 on: May 12, 2019, 10:11:06 PM »
Spent the day with the wife, just wandering around town and talking about new plants to put in. Then finally took down the front storm windows.

Now I am drinking beer! Might finish off the 6x48 belt sander later or keep working on the power hacksaw I got from Greyson.

What are you doing to the belt sander?

Offline Rural53

« Reply #793 on: May 13, 2019, 02:16:18 AM »
My little Husky 137 started right up, it probably hasn't been started for over a year.

The damage is a lost aerial and a broken windscreen.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #794 on: May 13, 2019, 08:34:20 AM »
I'd say you got off pretty easy with that damage. On the bright side now you have firewood for camping.