Author Topic: Got a truck today  (Read 7887 times)

Offline m_fumich

Re: Got a truck today
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 10:19:37 AM »
I will be careful with everything I do on this truck. I don’t like making work for myself and I really don’t like breaking things that weren’t already broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »
Ah, yes, I am thinking of the newer Triton engines. This is probably much stronger.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
Got the TPS back on the throttle body and everything is back together. Had the bridge the solenoid to get the starter to spin over. The engine didn’t start. It’s acting like it’s not getting any fuel. I didn’t have any starting fluid on hand so I had to stop. I picked some up tonight so I’ll give it a try again tomorrow.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »
a cheap primer can be made with an empty plastic coke bottle with a tiny hole drilled in the top. a cup or so of fuel and a slight squeeze will squirt just the right amount of fuel to get one fired up. Beats running the battery down trying to prime and old school fuel pump. Not a long term tool and not very pretty but certainly cheap. ;D

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
a cheap primer can be made with an empty plastic coke bottle with a tiny hole drilled in the top. a cup or so of fuel and a slight squeeze will squirt just the right amount of fuel to get one fired up. Beats running the battery down trying to prime and old school fuel pump. Not a long term tool and not very pretty but certainly cheap. ;D

Well, my gas can was bone dry until about an hour ago so the DIY atomizer wasn’t and option. But this is a fuel injected engine. Doesn’t that mean it has an electric fuel pump?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
it should have an electric pump, but if you just want to see if it will fire, squirt a little gas down its throat and see if it will run. then you can go looking for your fuel problem.

I used to always check used motors like this. you can hear a lot of things just running a motor for a few seconds.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 09:41:56 PM »
Ah, yes, I am thinking of the newer Triton engines. This is probably much stronger.
It's the plugs that break in the head.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
Finally got a big group 65 battery in the truck as opposed to the 450 CA battery I’ve been using. I also replaced the solenoid because it wouldn’t turn over with the key. I’m still using a screwdriver to bridge the solenoid though because I can’t turn the key when I’m under the hood.

Engine doesn’t even try to fire even with boom boom juice introduced through the throttle body. I’ll check for spark next. I’m hoping that’s the problem because if it’s not, then compression is the next possible cause.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »
Finally got a big group 65 battery in the truck as opposed to the 450 CA battery I’ve been using. I also replaced the solenoid because it wouldn’t turn over with the key. I’m still using a screwdriver to bridge the solenoid though because I can’t turn the key when I’m under the hood.

Engine doesn’t even try to fire even with boom boom juice introduced through the throttle body. I’ll check for spark next. I’m hoping that’s the problem because if it’s not, then compression is the next possible cause.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »
Something just happened and I don’t know what. I pulled the plug wire off the #5 cylinder and put a new plug in it and latex it on the engine somewhere. I turned the key to the run position the used a screwdriver to bridge the solenoid. It spun over a few time and I saw spark. Then I went to do it again, I heard the bendix engage then nothing. I have no power to the truck. It’s like I disconnected the battery. No dash lights of any kind. I’ll have to start checking fuses tomorrow.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »
I figured a grounding issue was about the only thing that could cut power to the whole truck so I replaced the negative terminal clamp and the problem is resolved. I was already planning on replacing both clamps. I’ll get back to testing the spark tomorrow.