Author Topic: bought a tractor  (Read 7165 times)

Offline john k

Re: bought a tractor
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 08:58:28 AM »
Narrow front handles a loader just fine, even without power steering, untilyou load the bucket.  Anything without ps steers best when moving.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 05:19:29 PM »
That's a nice ol girl.

X2

I’ve got an M tucked away in the shed waiting on some time to tidy it up , more likely going to be a retirement project . Have a soft spot for them as my Dad grew up with them on the home farm . He had a story when he came home from WW2 , the road was flooded and the taxi could only take him so far , family had to come and get him on the M , water on the road was just about up to the Magneto. Mine is a wide front end.... I’ll get some pics and post here when I get a chance .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 08:17:08 PM »
Even the IH loader to boot!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 08:18:41 PM by muddy »

Offline john k

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
Loader has the old lift n drop one way cylinders,   still can read the McCormick stickers.
Ordered a  light switch,  none in it now.  Wires in the box look tough,  the light switch has 5 positions,  low charge, high charge, low beam, hi beam, all lights.  Got to dig in the barn for a belt pulley,  might run the buzz saw a little.  Saturday looks like the to get it home.   Luck.

Offline john k

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 09:23:56 AM »
Got the M home.  Arrived there all was sunshine, by the time it was on the trailer there was thunder and lightning.  Pulled out the driveway in heavy rain.  Lots of rusty bolts to get the loader  and its frame off.  Moving in the wheels went slick, except for two wheel clamp bolts that I had to stand on the 24 inch breaker bar to get loose.  Took along my new Dewalt impact wrench, it did itself proud, but there were places it wouldnt fit.  Lots of oil on the axle, and used a 5 ft pry bar to help things along.  Flipped one rear wheel,  even that went easy.  Took off both wheelweights, think they are 150 lbs, about all I cared to lift onto the trailer.  The 50 mile trip home went smooth save for the heavy traffic that kept building up behind me.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 10:27:32 AM »
Now the fun begins. ;D

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
Let'em honk behind you when trailering. Both you and the driver will forget about it in 5 mins.

Rodney Atkins sang:

I've been cooped up, tied down 'bout forgotten
what a field looks like full of corn and cotton
If I'm gonna hit a traffic jam
Well it better be a tractor man

So sick and tired of this interstate system
I need the curvin', windin', twistin' dusty path to nowhere
With the wind blowin' through my baby's hair

Offline highland512

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »
Got the M home.  Arrived there all was sunshine, by the time it was on the trailer there was thunder and lightning.  Pulled out the driveway in heavy rain.  Lots of rusty bolts to get the loader  and its frame off.  Moving in the wheels went slick, except for two wheel clamp bolts that I had to stand on the 24 inch breaker bar to get loose.  Took along my new Dewalt impact wrench, it did itself proud, but there were places it wouldnt fit.  Lots of oil on the axle, and used a 5 ft pry bar to help things along.  Flipped one rear wheel,  even that went easy.  Took off both wheelweights, think they are 150 lbs, about all I cared to lift onto the trailer.  The 50 mile trip home went smooth save for the heavy traffic that kept building up behind me.
I wondered this myself one time. According to IHC they weigh 145lbs each, I grabbed a random M wheel weight I had waiting for paint. It weighed in at 145.7 lbs, old paint and dust included. You know you have done something once you stack 2 or 3 sets on the tractor.