Author Topic: Bye bye Goodyear  (Read 6522 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Bye bye Goodyear
« on: August 19, 2020, 11:09:44 AM »
Here is a screen grab of a corporate diversity training slide in a Goodyear training program. I need to get some new tires on the horse rig but they will not be Goodyear truck tires. I'm done with that company. :38:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/goodyear-accused-of-discrimination-following-employee-diversity-program-that-says-supporting-blue-lives-matter-is-unacceptable?ref=hvper.com

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 11:19:51 AM by DeadNutz »

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Bye bye Goodyear
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 01:02:46 PM »
That's a real shame.

A couple months back I got an email from Van's sneakers supporting BLM and decided right then I was done with them.
They were previously my goto slip on sneakers for summer wear, but once my current pair is done I will be looking elsewhere.

If I don't know I'm fine, but when they publicly put it out there I can't help but care.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 01:25:07 PM »
I find it baffling that corporate America is good with taking sides in such a controversial issue. They seem to have lost all business sense   A big customer is police fleets. That’s just economic suicide for them. How many tires will be sold due to their stand with BLM versus how many sales will be lost. Hope I don’t have them in my portfolio

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »
Just read that Goodyear has denied the existence of that slide as being part of their sensitivity training program. It could be a forgery, but given all the corporate BS these days I accept the slide as genuine, and until they convince me otherwise.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 01:49:57 PM »
Makes me wonder if it is real.  wouldn't be the first time someone faked a document

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 02:12:48 PM »
I heard about this on Rush's show today.  As Ray said, Goodyear is denying that slide is theirs.  I'd like to find out for sure before throwing them under the bus.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 02:59:11 PM »
Goodyear says not true.

Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »
I have been buying Cooper made tires for years (either Cooper, Mastercraft, or ProComp)
Cooper and Good Year are the last USA owned companies making passenger tires in the USA, all other tires made in the USA are from foreign owned companies. After this Good Year (or after this should it be called Bad Year) wont even get consideration.

Bridgestone/Firestone-Japan
Michelin-France
Pirelli- China
Toyo-Japan
Continental- Germany

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 04:27:55 PM »
Makes me wonder if it is real.  wouldn't be the first time someone faked a document
One of the issues with our present world is the internet and the vast amount of BS that can be found thats taken as fact.  Maybe Goodyear has such a slide or maybe they don't and someone has an ax to grind.

Btw Goodyear tires suck anyway  :))

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
Goodyear says not true.

All they're saying is it didn't come from corporate. An organization the size of goodyear will have plenty of managers outside of corporate who know how to use powerpoint.........

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 05:05:05 PM »
I wouldn't doubt some mid level manager tried pushing this thru at his facility. As stated earlier, corporate is very afraid of hot button topics. Cant have the shareholders losing money.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 05:40:56 PM »
It is possible that someone created that to cause trouble and if so it worked. But in reading the last sentence of the second paragraph does makes me wonder about their denial in the letter.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 06:44:02 PM »
But in reading the last sentence of the second paragraph does makes me wonder about their denial in the letter.

Yep the slide they're trying to distance themselves from matches their racist corporate policy......

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 08:17:49 PM »
I wasn't gonna buy goodyear before this. Everything I've owned that had them I was never happy with them.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 07:48:04 AM »
It is possible that someone created that to cause trouble and if so it worked. But in reading the last sentence of the second paragraph does makes me wonder about their denial in the letter.

Yeah I caught that too. 

And if BLM isn't political, I don't know what is